Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 11:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

HBS interview invites?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

HBS interview invites? [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2006, 02:33
Who here got an invite?

I'll be submitting in R2. Anyone else?

I'm having some trouble with their 4th and 5th essays.

- Should we talk about ethical issues we anticipate in our future jobs, in line with the career we see for ourselves? Should we talk about any ethical issues that we have already faced?

- Career vision. I feel this question is a little different from the usual questions on career goals. I'm not sure if we need to speak about our immediate career plans after the MBA or our career thus far as well. Also should we talk about how HBS could help, or is this not required for this particular question??
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 252

Kudos [?]: 1530 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: HBS interview invites? [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2006, 09:26
hosam wrote:
Who here got an invite?

- Should we talk about ethical issues we anticipate in our future jobs, in line with the career we see for ourselves? Should we talk about any ethical issues that we have already faced?

- Career vision. I feel this question is a little different from the usual questions on career goals. I'm not sure if we need to speak about our immediate career plans after the MBA or our career thus far as well. Also should we talk about how HBS could help, or is this not required for this particular question??

I know of one person who got one, thats it. I'll be getting mine in the next week or so.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2006, 09:40
How come you know you will receive yours next week?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: HBS interview invites? [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2006, 05:52
rhyme wrote:
hosam wrote:
Who here got an invite?

I know of one person who got one, thats it. I'll be getting mine in the next week or so.

I knew I should have bet more than $20

tapan22 to GMAT " Resistence is futile, you will be cracked"

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: HBS interview invites? [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2006, 05:56
hosam wrote:
Who here got an invite?

For the ethical issues essay, you should focus on forward looking ethical issues, most likely in line with your career, although certain issues maybe common to any career.
You can brush upon issues you have faced and tie it back to your issues you anticipate, however the focus of the question is clearly forward looking.

For the career vision essay,

- Spend about 3-4 sentences on your career progress so far (as they ask for this)
- spend the bulk of the time talking about your future career plans and tie back how HBS can help into it.

Hope this helps

tapan22 to GMAT " Resistence is futile, you will be cracked"

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

[#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2006, 06:20
jchen1731 wrote:
How come you know you will receive yours next week?

Its called positive thinking. :)
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2006, 06:22
I got an invite and have had the interview.

Let me know if you have any questions regarding the process or your essays.

Cheers.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: HBS interview invites? [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2006, 07:06
tapan22 wrote:
hosam wrote:
Who here got an invite?

For the career vision essay,

- Spend about 3-4 sentences on your career progress so far (as they ask for this)
- spend the bulk of the time talking about your future career plans and tie back how HBS can help into it.

Hope this helps

Interesting. I had a different take on this. I talked about how i was motivated for my career goal. What have i tried and failed, what did i do with the lessons learned. (All this for 4/5 of the essay). Last para, just a few links on what hbs will provide me.

I doubt if one can talk a whole lot about future plans. Do you suggest getting really specific, saying "here is what i do in the next 5 yrs, then this in the next 10 years"?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: HBS interview invites? [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2006, 07:07
tapan22 wrote:
hosam wrote:
Who here got an invite?

For the ethical issues essay, you should focus on forward looking ethical issues, most likely in line with your career, although certain issues maybe common to any career.
You can brush upon issues you have faced and tie it back to your issues you anticipate, however the focus of the question is clearly forward looking.

Hope this helps

I am stumped with this one as well. How can i plan for not engaging myself in money laundering? How can i prepare for it? Any hints?
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2006, 07:14
The ethical question is an interesting one. I think it's important to look specifically at the field you intend to go into. That will show that you've been proactive enough to really research what goes on in that field. Sure, ethical lapses in business, especially in the past few years, have been abundant. Did anyone predict Enron? Should we have? Think about that - the future of business and your intended field - and go from there. Maybe mention some of your learning experiences.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: HBS interview invites? [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2006, 07:15
[/quote]

I am stumped with this one as well. How can i plan for not engaging myself in money laundering? How can i prepare for it? Any hints?[/quote]

How can you plan for it is one thing. I'm having trouble tackling the ethical issues that come with it.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2006, 07:29
Think outside the box, guys. Don't state the obvious, think about what could possibly happen in the future. And I wouldn't limit yourself to just those 'lapses' that are illegal and would lead to a prison sentence. That's breaking the law AND an ethical lapse. Not all ethical lapses will send you to jail.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Re: HBS interview invites? [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2006, 08:02
hosam wrote:
I am stumped with this one as well. How can i plan for not engaging myself in money laundering? How can i prepare for it? Any hints?

How can you plan for it is one thing. I'm having trouble tackling the ethical issues that come with it.[/quote]

The thing here is that you should pick something that is specific to your long term goals. That is, money laundering can happen in any field - you should pick something thats less obvious and more of a dilemma than just a question of "right or wrong".

The most important thing here I think is that you show an understanding of some of the challenges you may face in your career, and they be specific to your career or industry so that they tie directly to what you might ACTUALLY face - not just something "pie in the sky" or obvious like "cooking the books".

Last edited by rhyme on 27 Nov 2006, 08:16, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: HBS interview invites? [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2006, 08:12
rhyme wrote:
The thing here is that you should pick something that is specific to your long term goals. That is, money laundering can happen in any field - you should pick something thats less obvious and more of a dilemma than just a question of "right or wrong".

The most important thing here I think is that you show an understanding of some of the challenges you may face in your career, and they be specific to your career or industry so that they tie directly to what you might ACTUALLY face - not just something "pie in the sky" or obvious like "cooking the books".

Great Discussion!

Well, as a CEO of a firm (or any career goal you might have), you will face 5 'obvious' issues (money laundering, tax evasion etc etc) and 5 "hard-to-think-of-now-but-must-extrapolate-for-HBS" issues. I suppose, one would list the issues, and draw an ethical/moral commonality, and address the issue on the "plan to evade". 400 words is not sufficient to address each one of them. Very challenging indeed.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2006, 08:12
I think really it is about orientation... What do you care about? For example if you wanted to go into investment management you need to have an investor focused mentality. If you are constantly trying to derive rewards for yourself rather than for your clients/investors/shareholders you will inevitable go down the path of improper behavior. When the company tells you that they will give you a trip to the Bahamas if you drive their stock price in a positive way you might just say know if you are thinking more about your investors and you do not think that their stock is a value proposition for your fund.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

[#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2006, 08:17
Mark4124 wrote:
I think really it is about orientation... What do you care about? For example if you wanted to go into investment management you need to have an investor focused mentality. If you are constantly trying to derive rewards for yourself rather than for your clients/investors/shareholders you will inevitable go down the path of improper behavior. When the company tells you that they will give you a trip to the Bahamas if you drive their stock price in a positive way you might just say know if you are thinking more about your investors and you do not think that their stock is a value proposition for your fund.

Again, I'd argue too obvious of a choice/answer. This shouldn't require any preparation or education to cope with this.
  [#permalink] 27 Nov 2006, 08:17