Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 16:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

HBS Round 3 profile, should I apply or wait till next year

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 159 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
HBS Round 3 profile, should I apply or wait till next year [#permalink] New post 31 Dec 2004, 18:53
I am curious about what HBS adcom is looking for in R3 applicants? are there any specific trends they like in r3?

I am debating if I should apply in R3 or wait till next year. Here is a little background info about me.

GMAT: Havent given yet, but i am hoping to score over 720 <--last score on PR test...

Education: BsEE (2.8/4.0) (junior and senior years I avged over 3.1/4.0) I had a bad freshman year... :oops:

Experience:
6 years total with a Fortune 20, for the past 3 years I worked as a manager of a succesful product line( I was the lead from concept to launch, leading a team at one point of over 20, with a budget of $10 mil). I have been involved in some major accquisitions and recently played a key role to reform/streamline another product line with more than $500 mil in revenue. Currently, I lead a group of 8 engineers/procduct managers.
( I have a solid rec letters from bosses)

Volunteer work:
I have been involved with many non-profit groups, I am currently the Chapter president of an organization which is developing and opening schools in some of the poorest areas of Pakistan, India. I initiated the chapter in my state and now we have over 21 members and growing, we have raised a significant amount of funds. I was part of a group which worked to win an endorsment from Sen. Lee Hamilton, who cited our work in his 9/11 commission report. Currently, our chapter and I are working with Sen. Corzines office to get his sponsorship.
I have also volunteered time as a mentor to female students in engineering schools, the program is part of Society of Women Engineers.

I guess, this not volunteer work, but I appeared in numerous Senate hearings in pakistan, to help the pakistani govt draft a new telecom deregulation policy. I have succesfuly convinced the chairman of the Senate and Minister of Science and technology to write my 3rd recom letter.

I understand that my weakness is a poor Undergrad GPA and i haven't given my GMAT yet, but apart from these factors, i am skeptical that my work accomplishments and recommendation letters alone will get the job done for a R3 applicant. what do you think?

I plan on giving my gmat sometime early next year i.e Feb or late Jan. as it is I would have missed most of the schools R2 deadlines. I am applying to NYU, HBS and maybe UCLA or Darden. I would apply to Columbia for Jan session? If I dont get into any of the above schools.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2005, 19:19
any suggestions from anyone, do you think I should apply in R3?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2005, 09:32
since you are applying to a number of school already. you might as well apply to hbs and give it a shot.
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 339 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: HBS Round 3 profile, should I apply or wait till next ye [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2005, 16:17
Expert's post
fresinha12 wrote:
I am curious about what HBS adcom is looking for in R3 applicants? are there any specific trends they like in r3?

I am debating if I should apply in R3 or wait till next year. Here is a little background info about me.

GMAT: Havent given yet, but i am hoping to score over 720 <--last score on PR test...

Education: BsEE (2.8/4.0) (junior and senior years I avged over 3.1/4.0) I had a bad freshman year... :oops:

Experience:
6 years total with a Fortune 20, for the past 3 years I worked as a manager of a succesful product line( I was the lead from concept to launch, leading a team at one point of over 20, with a budget of $10 mil). I have been involved in some major accquisitions and recently played a key role to reform/streamline another product line with more than $500 mil in revenue. Currently, I lead a group of 8 engineers/procduct managers.

Volunteer work:
I have been involved with many non-profit groups, I am currently the Chapter president of an organization which is developing and opening schools in some of the poorest areas of Pakistan, India. I initiated the chapter in my state and now we have over 21 members and growing, we have raised a significant amount of funds. I was part of a group which worked to win an endorsment from Sen. Lee Hamilton, who cited our work in his 9/11 commission report. Currently, our chapter and I are working with Sen. Corzines office to get his sponsorship.
I have also volunteered time as a mentor to female students in engineering schools, the program is part of Society of Women Engineers.

I guess, this not volunteer work, but I appeared in numerous Senate hearings in pakistan, to help the pakistani govt draft a new telecom deregulation policy. I have succesfuly convinced the chairman of the Senate and Minister of Science and technology to write my 3rd recom letter.

I understand that my weakness is a poor Undergrad GPA and i haven't given my GMAT yet, but apart from these factors, i am skeptical that my work accomplishments and recommendation letters alone will get the job done for a R3 applicant. what do you think?

I plan on giving my gmat sometime early next year i.e Feb or late Jan. as it is I would have missed most of the schools R2 deadlines. I am applying to NYU, HBS and maybe UCLA or Darden. I would apply to Columbia for Jan session? If I dont get into any of the above schools.

I think the main difference between 3rd round at HBS (and a lot of top schools) and the two ealier rounds is that HBS is looking to fill out its class. Since HBS values diversity, it will look for all the qualities it normally seeks (leadership, academic excellence, leadership, community service, leadership, initiative, leadership, outstanding professional progress, leadership etc.) , but diversity elements will become even more important than normal. So you need to ask yourself if you have an unusual perspecitive or background that you are bringing to the table. You certainly have some fascinating community service that will be a big help to you in applying to any school. However, HBS, unlike many other MBA programs, in my opinion sets the bar higher for reapplicants than for regular applicants. So I usually advise applicants to HBS to make sure their first application is their best because it seems to me that it only gets harder to get accepted there.

I would say your chances of getting in somewhere R3, if you do a good job on your essays and GMAT, are good. So if you would always kick yourself for not having tried to get accepted to HBS, then apply next year. If you would rather go to one of the other schools if you don't get into Harvard and would really rather start a year earlier, then apply R3.

Good luck!

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Last edited by Accepted.com on 04 Feb 2005, 14:36, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: HBS Round 3 profile, should I apply or wait till next ye [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2005, 19:57
Hey linda thanks for the feedback!

I hear ya on the leadership emphasis. I plan to address the leadership aspect in my essays. So far, I think I hit all the areas you mention. But about the diversity issue, i would request your help, if you can only elaborate more on what you meant by diversity.

Please advise me if it makes sense for me to talk about my personal life, I am thinking of writing something on the following lines...

Personal Life Experience
how I overcame a loss of a loved one, how I dealt with the this life changing event, the challenges I overcame by immigrating to the US, and how I have worked to achieved the american dream and still continuing to progress...

Work Experience and Leadership

Even though, I began my career as an engineer, it was my ability to focus on our company's processes (some of the flaws it had and reform the workflow process to optimize it), a keen sense of business development and a very good grasp of our industry's economics that earned me accolades at work. I am now a business development/Product manager with an increasing load of responsibilities. You can think of me as a "problem fixer" and ususally my company's leadership has asked me to tackle process related issues, how I could optimize workflows accross other product lines etc. I currently hold a postion that typically requires 10-15 yrs of experience, ( and I am only 25!)

Do you think that my personal life story plus my work experience enables me to compete effectively against HBS R3 applicants? I am diverse enough?

OH btw, some of my work was referenced in a new book on project management, I was acknowledged by the author for providing some insights as well, should I mention this in one of the essays?.

On another note, there was an article in the NY times about how our company is restructuring and how the leadership team is bringing about a culutral change. My work has directly to do with that! though my boss was quoted or shall I say the subject of the article, my work reflects what he is doing and I enjoy his full support! Though I am not getting my recommendation letter from him, he is too higher up in the chain...I thought it would be better to get my immediate managers and VP to write the recomendation letters. I can get the letter from my CTO, but I wouldnt be able to judge what he might say, I want someone to be able to write a good detailed letter.

Accepted.com wrote:
fresinha12 wrote:

Experience:

Volunteer work:

I think the main difference between 3rd round at HBS (and a lot of top schools) and the two ealier rounds is that HBS is looking to fill out its class. Since HBS values diversity, it will look for all the qualities it normally seeks (leadership, academic excellence, leadership, community service, leadership, initiative, leadership, outstanding professional progress, leadership etc.) , but diversity elements will get come even more important than normal. So you need to ask yourself if you have an unusual perspecitive or background that you are bringing to the table. You certainly have some fascinating community service that will be a big help to you in applying to any school. However, HBS, unlike many other MBA programs, in my opinion sets the bar higher for reapplicants than for regular applicants. So I usually advise applicants to HBS to make sure their first application is their best because it seems to me that it only gets harder to get accepted there.

I would say your chances of getting in somewhere, if you do a good job on your essays and GMAT, are good. So if you would always kick yourself for not having tried to get accepted to HBS, then apply. If you think it is likely you will apply again next year, then wait until next year.

Good luck!