Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2015, 01:42
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

HBS Tunnel Vision

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS 2012
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 7

HBS Tunnel Vision [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2009, 17:11
So, as you can see from my profile, I have applied to 4 schools (HBS, Wharton, Booth, Kellogg). I originally was 99% sure I would return to school if I were admitted to any of these.

HBS has always been number 1, but I felt it was more realistic of getting into (at least) one of the other three. When looking at the other three, I felt much stronger about Chicago and Wharton because of my plans to study finance. I held this view to such an extent that I pondered the hypothetical of what I might do if only admitted to Kellogg (do I go or roll the dice again on the other schools next year, i.e. why did I even apply to Kellogg?).

Now, it's gotten even worse, because of my invitiation to interview with HBS. Although I know admission is still far from a sure thing, it has begun to feel like a very real possibility (something I didn't particularly feel before), but it's started to give me tunnel vision. I sense an immense disappointment will ensue if I'm dinged, regardless of whether or not I am admitted to Chicago and/or Wharton. And I fear I'll go through the same cycle again, i.e. I could go to Chicago, but maybe if I wait and re-apply at Harvard again next year...

Has anyone else ever gone through this?

Has anyone ever actually passed on a great school to re-apply to a better one the following year?

Thanks for the advice!
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Columbia Business School - Class of 2012
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 37 [1] , given: 22

Re: HBS Tunnel Vision [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2009, 17:45
This post received
KUDOS
My advice: Don't worry about hypothetical scenarios until they become a reality. You can play this game all day long, but really, you're not accomplishing anything. It will just contribute to higher stress levels than you need or want at this point in the process.

Wait and see what happens, and take it from there. Also, see what happens outside of the app process (i.e. how is work going? personal life going?).
Intern
Intern
Schools: Booth, Stern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 8

Re: HBS Tunnel Vision [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2009, 18:15
I agree. You can play out all sorts of scenarios in your mind. BUT just wait until you get accepted or rejected. This kind of thing can stress you out if you let it.

Also, will your life be THAT different if you go to Wharton or UChicago. They are all great schools. They might not have Harvard's ring to it, but you can live without it. Lots of people do.

Last edited by Andoverjon on 14 Nov 2009, 18:55, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 39

Kudos [?]: 160 [0], given: 36

Re: HBS Tunnel Vision [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2009, 19:27
I'd say keep final choices out of your mind, and treat each school as your only option, at least until you get through the interviews. The decision as to which school you pick will be influenced by your experience with the school, not just its brand or stereotypes. Your interviews are your open window to that, and the last opportunity to mess things up with the one option, that may end up your final favorite. Keep an open mind. You have only a couple of weeks till the application process is out of your hands completely and 4 months to pick a final school.

Tips: best-app-tips-77803-80.html#p610423
GMAT experience: gmat-710-q47-v41-what-worked-and-what-didn-t-81055.html#p608295
Telling your story: storytelling-82064.html#p615567
Other MBA women: calling-all-female-mba-applicants-84636.html
GMATClub interview practice groups: gmatclub-interview-groups-85902.html#p643929

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2012
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Followers: 40

Kudos [?]: 221 [1] , given: 113

Reviews Badge
Re: HBS Tunnel Vision [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2009, 23:17
This post received
KUDOS
at this point you'll have to decide for yourself what it is you want out of your MBA. do you want a degree? do you want the skills to advance your career? to switch industries? or do you just want a name on a paper ?

i think it's perfectly normal to be blindsided by the 'allure' of attending a top program like HBS, but it will come down to how the next 12 months of your life would play out if you decided to reject chicago or W, only to reapply to HBS next year. will you progress at your job? will your supervisor question your motives for staying an extra year? what if you get laid off? how will that affect your candidacy for next year? when looking at all these questions, you should start to get a better feel for whether it's worth passing on great schools like W/K for a great school like HBS (not to mention what would happen if you waited an extra year to reapply to HBS, and then you didn't get in again? :shock: )

but, as was said, just take it one day at a time. life is really random most times, but you'd be surprised at how often you'll end up exactly where you need to be.

GMAT Debrief

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Current Student
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 7

Re: HBS Tunnel Vision [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2009, 11:26
shadowsjc wrote:
life is really random most times, but you'd be surprised at how often you'll end up exactly where you need to be.

Boyyyy, that is deep!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 5

Re: HBS Tunnel Vision [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2009, 11:37
formerlyknownas wrote:
shadowsjc wrote:
life is really random most times, but you'd be surprised at how often you'll end up exactly where you need to be.

Boyyyy, that is deep!

In the words of Mick and Keith :-D :
"You cant always get what you want
But if you try sometimes
you just might find
You get what you need."
Re: HBS Tunnel Vision   [#permalink] 10 Nov 2009, 11:37