Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Sep 2014, 21:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

HBS vs Northwestern JD/MBA

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

HBS vs Northwestern JD/MBA [#permalink] New post 02 May 2013, 05:54
Law is a must for me. I want to practice in the short term (BigLaw 4-5 years, then transition to in-house or business in order to spend more time with my family).

My LSAT was piss poor. I got into Northwestern solely because of my GMAT. Honestly this is what it comes down to for me:

Northwestern JD/MBA (3 years)
Harvard MBA (and probably Emory Law immediately afterwards... no guarantees though) (5 years)

My fellowships/scholarships at each are comparable. The JD/MBA is my personal preference; my short and long term goals will utilize both and I know I will appreciate the different education.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 9

Re: HBS vs Northwestern JD/MBA [#permalink] New post 02 May 2013, 06:08
It's always hard to choose between two great options, isn't it? In your case, neither choice is a bad decision.

My expertise is in MBA programs and MBA admissions. I have worked with many JD/MBA students, but only from the MBA side. So, I come into this not knowing the rankings of Northwestern's law school or Emory's law school.

The JD/MBA at Northwestern seems to be the logical and most cost effective choice. Three years, a single relocation to Northwestern, and you start practicing law right away.

I believe anyone could make a solid argument for either option. Good luck!

Wendy

Wendy Flynn
15 Years as Director of MBA Admissions - Now Working For the Applicants as the MBA Admissions Coach
Wendy Flynn is the MBA Admissions Coach, providing comprehensive MBA admissions consulting services. As the former Director of MBA Admissions for 15 years at a top-30 MBA pgoram, Wendy holds deep expertise in admissions issues for Full-Time, Executive and Professional (Part-Time) MBA Programs. Through her blog, MBA Expert Insights, she brings the view of the Director of MBA admissions to MBA applicants and others.

WendyLFlynn89@gmail.com
Web: http://MBAAdmissionsCoach.com
MBA Expert Insights Blog: http://www.mbaadmissionscoach.com/blog/
Facebook: http://Facebook.com/MBAAdmissionsCoach
Twitter: http://www.Twitter.com/WendyLFlynn
Member of the AIGAC, Association of International Graduate Admissions Counselors

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 700 Q V
GMAT 2: 690 Q V
GPA: 2.99
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 42

Re: HBS vs Northwestern JD/MBA [#permalink] New post 02 May 2013, 06:09
gmijaresshafai wrote:
Law is a must for me. I want to practice in the short term (BigLaw 4-5 years, then transition to in-house or business in order to spend more time with my family).

My LSAT was piss poor. I got into Northwestern solely because of my GMAT. Honestly this is what it comes down to for me:

Northwestern JD/MBA (3 years)
Harvard MBA (and probably Emory Law immediately afterwards... no guarantees though) (5 years)

My fellowships/scholarships at each are comparable. The JD/MBA is my personal preference; my short and long term goals will utilize both and I know I will appreciate the different education.

Hey, can you clarify whether you've been accepted to HBS? It isn't totally clear from your post. So your options are Kellogg JD/MBA this year vs HBS this year and then Emory (potentially) after school? Also, how old are you?
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: HBS vs Northwestern JD/MBA [#permalink] New post 02 May 2013, 06:14
I have been admitted to HBS. I was wait listed at Emory Law this year. I am confident that after graduating from HBS in good academic standing I would be admitted.

I'm 24 years old.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 308 [1] , given: 166

Premium Member
Re: HBS vs Northwestern JD/MBA [#permalink] New post 02 May 2013, 06:15
This post received
KUDOS
gmijaresshafai wrote:
The JD/MBA is my personal preference; my short and long term goals will utilize both and I know I will appreciate the different education.

I think you just answered your own question. The only "downside" to the JD/MBA is that it's so compressed and you spend most of your time at the law school, it's not your typical MBA experience, but it sounds like law is your priority, so that would make the JD/MBA appropriate.

You might be the first person in the history of man to turn down HBS for Kellogg, but these sound like good reasons to do so:

1) Northwestern's Law is stronger than Emory
2) Three years vice five years

On the other hand, going to HBS would give you the full MBA experience from the most recognized brand on the planet and keep your options open - you may find that you don't want to go to law school afterwards when you see the recruiting opportunities available at B-school.

Best of luck to you!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fWvub_WBho

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 700 Q V
GMAT 2: 690 Q V
GPA: 2.99
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 57 [1] , given: 42

Re: HBS vs Northwestern JD/MBA [#permalink] New post 02 May 2013, 08:50
This post received
KUDOS
Hmm that is a tough one then. I'm inclined to say JD/MBA at Northwestern since 5 years of being in school is A LOT, and also really expensive. To be making negative money for five years is a tough pill to swallow. Plus, though Kellogg is not HBS, it does have a great brand name. I don't know the cost difference between both routes but I imagine it would be substantial. You are young though so you would be done with everything before hitting 30 even if you did the 5 year route. But would you really want to be an associate at law firm at 30 vs at 27?

I do agree with cobrakai though in that HBS and a full time MBA could potentially open your eyes to other career options outside of law. I have a ton of friends who went to law school (not as highly ranked as northwestern though) who had a really tough time finding jobs they wanted. And those who did aren't necessarily thrilled with law. If you are really sure you want to do law then I would go with JD/MBA. But if you're thinking you might have other interests, then maybe HBS is the way to go. Also, just to throw it out there, there are some people who might regret passing up the chance at HBS. If you think you might end up regretting it, then that is something to consider as well. But in general I think the JD/MBA will give you more bang for your buck and allow you to start your career sooner (something that I think is a big plus).

As the others have said, can't go wrong! Congrats on having such an awesome choice to make!
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 308 [1] , given: 166

Premium Member
Re: HBS vs Northwestern JD/MBA [#permalink] New post 02 May 2013, 09:03
This post received
KUDOS
Here's another option which you may or may not have been aware of:

Quote:
Prospective students must apply to and be separately admitted to both HLS and HBS, each of which will independently review and admit applicants. Students can apply to both schools in the same admissions season, or apply to the second school while enrolled in the first year at the other.

If you go to HBS, you can apply to Harvard Law during your first year which allows you to finish both degrees in 4 years vice 5, and Harvard Law >> Emory Law.
http://www.law.harvard.edu/academics/degrees/special-programs/joint-degrees/jd/mba-program.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fWvub_WBho

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE: Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 192 [0], given: 627

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: HBS vs Northwestern JD/MBA [#permalink] New post 02 May 2013, 10:13
CobraKai wrote:

Quote:
Prospective students must apply to and be separately admitted to both HLS and HBS, each of which will independently review and admit applicants. Students can apply to both schools in the same admissions season, or apply to the second school while enrolled in the first year at the other.

If you go to HBS, you can apply to Harvard Law during your first year which allows you to finish both degrees in 4 years vice 5, and Harvard Law >> Emory Law.
http://www.law.harvard.edu/academics/degrees/special-programs/joint-degrees/jd/mba-program.html

The only problem with this is that the OP isn't getting into HLS with a "piss poor" LSAT.

Honestly, if you're dead set on practicing law and just want the MBA for its option value down the line, I'd head to Northwestern. IMO, for a law career, a Northwestern JD/MBA > Emory JD + HBS MBA.
Current Student
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 96

Re: HBS vs Northwestern JD/MBA [#permalink] New post 02 May 2013, 19:47
kingfalcon wrote:
CobraKai wrote:

Quote:

The only problem with this is that the OP isn't getting into HLS with a "piss poor" LSAT.

Honestly, if you're dead set on practicing law and just want the MBA for its option value down the line, I'd head to Northwestern. IMO, for a law career, a Northwestern JD/MBA > Emory JD + HBS MBA.

id say go to hbs and spend the rest of this year before school retaking the lsat
Re: HBS vs Northwestern JD/MBA   [#permalink] 02 May 2013, 19:47