Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:21 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Poor Qualityx      
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 5424 [10]
Given Kudos: 40
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [9]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
General Discussion
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28571 [3]
Given Kudos: 130
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Headway is now targeted at a wider readership - to include [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
I'm stuck between B and D here.

Headway is now targeted at a wider readership - to include all NUT members who are on the leadership salary spine. This year's NUT membership credential gave members the opportunity to identify themselves as teachers on the leadership spine and Headway will, in future, be mailed directly to all members so identified.
From the text above, which of the following can we reasonably conclude?

a) Headway is a free newspaper. - (don't know)
b) Formerly, the readership of Headway did not include members on the leadership salary spine. (possibly hence now they are including ALL NUT members who are on the leadership salary spine) - (the tricky part here is the word "ALL" - B says that they did not include members, meaning no members were included before or some were included but not all, not sure here)
c) Teachers can only be present on the leadership spine thanks to the NUT. ( clearly not something we can conclude)
d) The readership for Headway will increase in future years. ( well their target is wider readership and "Headway will, in future, be mailed directly to all members so identified." so it's safe to assume that readership will increase )
e) Teachers cannot get access to Headway unless it is mailed to them. ( there could be other ways to get access we don't know)

I'm leaning towards D on this one, but B is very close. I'm not sure if my logic in B makes sense though.

Please let us know the OA. Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 176 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Kudos
is it D ?

all other options can be easily proved wrong.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Kudos
I think "Headway is now targeted at a wider readership - to include all NUT members who ...... " makes B the answer.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
between A and B, I think B is a better answer.
Headway is sending the magazine to a new group which has been not identified before. I recognize that my argument little shaky, but this was best one among given.

source? OA?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 5424 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Send PM
OA is B.

Even I was stumped by the choice and selected D at first. But if you check closely by using Process of Elimination, PoE, then B is the best choice.

I would request you all to write some explanation why you chose some option. Writing just the answer as "OA is B" or "IMO it is B" would not be of much use because people are interested in the food for thought and that this forum is all about. This explanation will be helpful for others to understand the problem from various perspectives leading to same conclusion.

Give me KUDOS if I am right. :-D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3893 [0]
Send PM
I selected D at first but now I am totally agree with you
ankithakhu wrote:
B
It is an inference based question and the inference must be true taking the argument to be true.
The evidence says that:
Headway would target all Nut members on the leadership spine. (maybe it was targeting some but not all earlier)
Headway would mail magazine directly to teachers who are NUT members.

Using negation method in the options now:
a. Headway is a free newspaper. (If it is not a free newspaper, would it effect the argument. NO)
b) Formerly, the readership of Headway did not include members on the leadership salary spine. (If it already included members, Headway would not be expanding its leadership, which it is actually doing. So this is a right answer)
c) Teachers can only be present on the leadership spine thanks to the NUT. (No. Extreme case. This time nut members credentials gave an opportunity to the teachers to be identified. Does not mean that they can only be present because of nut.)
d) The readership for Headway will increase in future years. (Headway is targeted at all NUT members but does not mean that they would accept or it can also happen that some existing Headway readers would not continue with Headway. So No.)
e) Teachers cannot get access to Headway unless it is mailed to them. (No. headway mails to teachers does not mean that this is the only source for teachers to access headway.)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Guys, It is a word game.

Formerly, the readership of Headway did not include members on the leadership salary spine

One can also interpret above statement as follows:

Headway did not include all members on the salary spine, but it included few members. Now headway wants to expand readership by including remaining members.

Therefore one cannot conclusively say that readership of headway did not include members on the leadership salary spine. Headway might have included few members but not all.

Any comments?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Agree with Cmplkj123. Headway could be read by people who belong to leadership salary spine group. We will include more such people does not mean that there was no representation/ readership earlier.
D is also suspect. Existing readers may discontinue or teachers may not sign up leadership salary spine. Any of the given option can take place. Difficult to make an inference that the readership will increase.
Any comments?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [0]
Given Kudos: 239
GC Meter: A.W.E.S.O.M.E
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V30
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38
Send PM
wow.. i could come down to b and d only.. beyond that unable to move an inch ! :( as much as b could be wrong because the word "all" in premise, D could be wrong as well because needs an assumption - that it will not decrease in other areas.
How to resolve?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [0]
Given Kudos: 239
GC Meter: A.W.E.S.O.M.E
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V30
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38
Send PM
Desperate123 wrote:
I think "Headway is now targeted at a wider readership - to include all NUT members who ...... " makes B the answer.

Thanks for highlighting.. Yup, because of NOW, option D with future is wrong!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Schools: LBS '14 (S)
Send PM
OA seems to be a BS to me.

b) Formerly, the readership of Headway did not include members on the leadership salary spine.
Headway is targeting a wider readership, to include ALL NUT members. This states that the company is plans to 'register' all members of NUT, however, it does not necessarily imply that there is not one of NUT members currently reading Headway - it is simply going after ALL members.

d) The readership for Headway will increase in future years. - EXTRA assumption

Via POE, I chose A.
B & D cannot be inferred from the stimulus.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1305 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
GPA: 3.82
WE:Account Management (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Like others, i am also stuck between (B) & (D), can someone tell me that conclusion usually presents the the action following a certain process, i.e. the future not the past.(D) tells the future but he answer is (B) indeed.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 467
Send PM
sushma0805 wrote:
is it D ?

all other options can be easily proved wrong.

Hi,

I eliminated D as I felt we cannot conclude an increase in members.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

This Question is Locked Due to Poor Quality
Hi there,
The question you've reached has been archived due to not meeting our community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Looking for better-quality questions? Check out the 'Similar Questions' block below for a list of similar but high-quality questions.
Want to join other relevant Problem Solving discussions? Visit our Critical Reasoning (CR) Forum for the most recent and top-quality discussions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts