Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 12 Jul 2014, 20:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Health Insurance for non-working Spouse

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Health Insurance for non-working Spouse [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2011, 12:44
Hello All;

I've been accepted at UNC Kenan-Flagler and am planning to move from San Francisco to Chapel Hill with my wife in July. My wife is planning to quit her job and is hoping to find a new one in NC. My question is whether my wife will be covered by the health insurance provided by the university or whether we will need to buy separate insurance for her. Also, if we are to buy separate insurance for her during the period that she is not working (and hence not insured), is it typically available at the same rate as for students, or will it be higher?

Would really appreciate your responses on this. Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
Schools: Harvard Business School - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V45
GPA: 3.67
WE: Supply Chain Management (Consumer Products)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: Health Insurance for non-working Spouse [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2011, 18:30
I'm assuming it works the same way for UNC as it does for HBS which is that I have to pay for health insurance through the school which cost a lot (~$3K a year) and if I want my wife included on the plan, she can be covered as well for a higher rate (~$4-5K a year). My work is offering me a leave of absence which means I can also continue participating in their insurance plan although it probably will not be at the subsidized rate that I'm currently paying and I'm not sure if my wife can be on my plan. Hopefully that option is cheaper for us but I still need to work that out with HR.

FindIt - http://www.getfindit.com

My blog - http://www.shoescount.com

Re: Health Insurance for non-working Spouse   [#permalink] 09 Apr 2011, 18:30