Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 14:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Health Maintenance Organizations (HMOs)....

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [2] , given: 6

Health Maintenance Organizations (HMOs).... [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2010, 19:11
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

57% (02:43) correct 43% (01:49) wrong based on 251 sessions
I could not get the rigth answer for this question, this came up in a kaplan exam. I also dont understand the explanation. Could someone pick the best answer and explain how to get to it. I will be posting the answer later.

Doctor: Health Maintenance Organizations (HMOs) should not be used to replace traditional fee-for-service methods of delivering health care. The less health care that HMOs deliver, the greater the profit these companies receive. Accordingly, there is a perverse incentive for these companies to deliver very little health care, regardless of the ill patient's needs.

Which of the following, if true, casts the most doubt on the doctor's conclusion?

a)Doctors are paid less by HMOs than they receive under a fee-for-service system, which allows HMOs to charge less for the service they provide.
b)An effective way for HMOs to cut health care delivery costs is to prevent diseases from occurring by providing considerable amounts of preventive health care.
c) If HMOs deliver less health care, competitive pressures will force these companies to lower the rates they charge for health care coverage, returning the profit margin to former levels.
d)Fee-for-service methods of delivering health care have perverse incentives to provide unnecessary health care at inflated costs.
e)HMOs are the only proven way to reduce the high health care costs produced by a fee-for-service system without governmental interference.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 3

Re: Health Maintenance Organizations (HMOs).... [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2010, 20:45
I went for B.

Curious to see how people will tackle this one.
4 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: Babson (A), Smith (D)
GMAT 1: 580 Q49 V21
GMAT 2: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.85
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [4] , given: 8

Re: Health Maintenance Organizations (HMOs).... [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2010, 21:36
This post received
KUDOS
Doctor: Health Maintenance Organizations (HMOs) should not be used to replace traditional fee-for-service methods of delivering health care. The less health care that HMOs deliver, the greater the profit these companies receive. Accordingly, there is a perverse incentive for these companies to deliver very little health care, regardless of the ill patient's needs.

a)Doctors are paid less by HMOs than they receive under a fee-for-service system, which allows HMOs to charge less for the service they provide. - This does not attack the underlined claim
b)An effective way for HMOs to cut health care delivery costs is to prevent diseases from occurring by providing considerable amounts of preventive health care. - Again irrelevant, does not attack why they deliver little health care
c) If HMOs deliver less health care, competitive pressures will force these companies to lower the rates they charge for health care coverage, returning the profit margin to former levels - Yes, if HMO's deliver very little health care, it affects their profit margin, hence undermines the bolded claim
d)Fee-for-service methods of delivering health care have perverse incentives to provide unnecessary health care at inflated costs. - This does not concern or attach the Doctor's claim about HMO's
e)HMOs are the only proven way to reduce the high health care costs produced by a fee-for-service system without governmental interference. - Strengthens the argument

Hence the answer which weakens would be C. Hope this helps.

Sandeep
--------------------
Give and take Kudos
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 227 [0], given: 6

Re: Health Maintenance Organizations (HMOs).... [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2010, 11:09
well explained sandeepnerli.

I had hard time understanding the argument but your explanation made it clear.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 3

Re: Health Maintenance Organizations (HMOs).... [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2010, 14:18
I agree with seekmba!

Nice explanation,sandeepnerly! +1 to you!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 11

Re: Health Maintenance Organizations (HMOs).... [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2010, 20:00
I pick C after a while, I was torn among B, C, D

Arguments:

Conclusion: HMO < FFS
Premise:
- HMO deliver less healthcare, profit rise
- HMO will deliver very little healthcare (therefore we should keep FFS)

We need to weaken HMO < FFS, in this case, the way to weaken is to attack the reasoning

A - Talk about doctor paid, this is just fact, no bearing on the conclusion -> WRONG

B - This is a very appealing answer, but if that is true then HMO still can gain a lot of profit according to the reason of the argument -> not weaken -> WRONG

C - HMO deliver less healthcare, pressure => no more as profit, can't continue deliver less healthcare -> Weaken -> Correct

D - We need to attack HMO, FFS could be bad, but we don't care -> Out of Scope -> WRONG

E - Reduce high cost of FFS, but still gain profit by deliver less healthcare -> not weaken -> WRONG
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 13

Re: Health Maintenance Organizations (HMOs).... [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2010, 21:37
C.........above explanations are good ......
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 112

Re: Health Maintenance Organizations (HMOs).... [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2010, 06:12
C..
question was pretty weird for me ..then I read the choices and understood. and picked C ...
Current Student
Affiliations: Volunteer Operation Smile India, Creative Head of College IEEE branch (2009-10), Chief Editor College Magazine (2009), Finance Head College Magazine (2008)
WE2: Entrepreneur (E-commerce - The Laptop Skin Vault)
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE: Marketing (Other)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 24

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Health Maintenance Organizations (HMOs).... [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2010, 08:27
IMO C...Pretty easy

Kidchaos

http://www.laptopskinvault.com

Follow The Laptop Skin Vault on:
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/TheLaptopSkinVault
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/LaptopSkinVault

Consider Kudos if you think the Post is good
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot. Nothing is going to change. It's not. - Dr. Seuss

Re: Health Maintenance Organizations (HMOs)....   [#permalink] 14 Sep 2010, 08:27