Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:59 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: U. Chicago, Johns Hopkins, AIGAC
Own Kudos [?]: 192 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: U. Chicago, Johns Hopkins, AIGAC
Own Kudos [?]: 192 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Healthcare Background Going Into MBA [#permalink]
A 740 or higher would send a strong signal that your GPA is not indicative. The odds of gaining admission to HBS or Stanford given your GPA are small. How small depends on the details of your profile (i.e., diversity applicant? good reasons for low GPA? clear evidence that you redeemed these low grades later, etc.). If there are lower-ranked schools that you would be satisfied attending, then your time might be better spent focusing on them. If you send me your resume, I can give you better guidance on whether HBS and Stanford are worth trying.
--Paul Bodine

arctictoronto wrote:
Thank you PaulBodine, what should I be targeting for my GMAT?

Originally my first thoughts were HBS and Stanford (especially stanford given it's history with pharma and willingness to take lower GPA applicants from MBA DATA GURU )

Any thoughts on my %chances with HBS, Stanford and Wharton? or should HBS and Stanford not even be worth the time? thanks
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Expert Reply
arctictoronto wrote:
Firstly thanks for your help in advance! I am in need of some help in selecting an MBA program(s) to apply for and my chances at them.

My background:
-Age 27
-Graduated out of pharmacy school (Bachelor of Science in Pharmacy) from a top Canadian school UofToronto cGPA: 3.2/4.0 (3 years in undergraduate in a BSc life sciences program before that didn't finish the degree)
-Worked in a fortune 500 pharmaceutical company in marketing for 8 months then moved to payer marketing/health economics (for 2 years) (total of 3 years of work experience)
-GMAT: 710 (first attempt but thinking of redoing it to target for 740+? would that be worth it?)

My long-term career goal is to be a
-C-level executive at a fortune 100 company ideally in pharma/biotech or MD at a Private equity firm
-Short-term: Get into one of the top 10 schools (or if not, one that best aligns with my background)
-Not sure if possibly an MBB or ibanking immediately out of B school to get some broader experience would be a good play (if you'd recommend it or an alternative I am all ears!!)

Hey dude, a Few thoughts here:

First of all the average GPA at Top 10 schools is about 3.7/3.6 so even with a higher GMAT you will not necessarily be the strongest candidate.

Secondly, your goals make little sense. You want to be an MD at a PE firm? And you have what experience in finance? And your background is totally something different. So, theoretically it could happen, but it would not likely be viewed as a realistic scenario by the AdCom, and will weaken your application significantly if you go with these goals.

So my advice:
Focus on biotech/pharma. This is your area of experience and actually a very good concentration as there are tons of great jobs out there for the right people and it is MUCH less competitive than MBB/PE/IB for which you are additionally not really qualified.

Secondly if you focus in on schools with healthcare strengths in the Top 20 you will find schools where you are competitive at and where you can make a good argument and application without having to retake the GMAT.

I hope this helps! And feel free to drop us a line for a free consultation.
Best,
JF
GMAT Club Bot