Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 09:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Heating-oil prices

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Heating-oil prices [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2009, 23:49
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

38% (02:26) correct 63% (01:28) wrong based on 11 sessions
This is a question I had trouble in OG12th edition.
Plz help :cry:

Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil than they were last year.

A)
B) Heating-oil prices are expected to rise higher this year over last because refiners pay about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did
C) Expectations are for heating-oil prices to be higher this year than last year's becuase refiners are paying about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did
D) It is the expectation that heating-oil prices will be higher this year over last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil now than what they were
E) It is the expected that heating-oil prices will rise higher this year than last year's because refiners pay about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did

Please articulate your answer, especially on the "comparison" used in this question :)
Thnak you in advance!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Heating-oil prices [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2009, 00:08
A IMO
rise and higher together are redundant - B/E are out
last year's doesn't make a parallel consturction- C is out
and between A and D , D is wordy I think. Besides, using 'than' seems to be more correct than 'over' :roll:

What's OA?

Las cualidades del agua...porque el agua no olvida que su destino es el mar, y que tarde o temprano deberá llegar a él.

Director
Director
WE 1: 5.5 yrs in IT
Followers: 63

Kudos [?]: 395 [0], given: 56

GMAT Tests User
Re: Heating-oil prices [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2009, 00:48
Natia wrote:
A IMO
rise and higher together are redundant - B/E are out
last year's doesn't make a parallel consturction- C is out
and between A and D , D is wordy I think. Besides, using 'than' seems to be more correct than 'over' :roll:

What's OA?

I'll also vote for A for the same reason.

ISB 2011-12 thread | Ask ISB Alumni @ ThinkISB
All information related to Indian candidates and B-schools | Indian B-schools accepting GMAT scores
Self evaluation for Why MBA?

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: Heating-oil prices [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2009, 00:29
cici wrote:

Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil than they were last year.

A)
B) Heating-oil prices are expected to rise higher this year over last because refiners pay about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did
C) Expectations are for heating-oil prices to be higher this year than last year's becuase refiners are paying about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did
D) It is the expectation that heating-oil prices will be higher this year over last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil now than what they were
E) It is the expected that heating-oil prices will rise higher this year than last year's because refiners pay about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did

Please articulate your answer, especially on the "comparison" used in this question :)
Thnak you in advance!

Thank you all,

The OA is indeed A!

But I still don't understand how "last" in
"Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last"
is enough to be compared with the "this year".
Wouldn't I need to say "last year" instead of "last"?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Heating-oil prices [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2009, 04:37
A was the most simple of all.
good question!
Director
Director
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 711 [0], given: 40

GMAT Tests User
Re: Heating-oil prices [#permalink] New post 06 May 2010, 00:02
I think there is some misprinting in OG. Even I found the same. IMO, this should be -

...higher this year than those of last year because...

cici wrote:
cici wrote:

A)

Thnak you in advance!

Thank you all,

The OA is indeed A!

But I still don't understand how "last" in
"Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last"
is enough to be compared with the "this year".
Wouldn't I need to say "last year" instead of "last"?

Want to improve your CR: cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html
Tricky Quant problems: 50-tricky-questions-92834.html
Important Grammer Fundamentals: key-fundamentals-of-grammer-our-crucial-learnings-on-sc-93659.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 17

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Heating-oil prices [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2011, 06:51
Why "they were" is correct in A? Why not they did? In-fact, should we be repeating the entire verb when we change the tense - Re: MGMAT SC?
2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 95 [2] , given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: Heating-oil prices [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2011, 08:37
This post received
KUDOS
abhicoolmax wrote:
Why "they were" is correct in A? Why not they did? In-fact, should we be repeating the entire verb when we change the tense - Re: MGMAT SC?

This is a very good question. The general strategy followed is, whenever you come across an ellipsis (ommitting a part of the sentence if there is no ambiguity) the best way to check is to complete the sentence and see if the verb is correct.

Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil than they were paying ...

Vs

Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil than they did paying ...

As you can see the second version does not make sense (it should have been pay for did to be correct).

However if the original sentence is reworded as

Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last because refiners paid about $5 a barrel more for crude oil than they did pay ... => did is correct here. (I agree this version does not make logical sense :), just for illustration purposes).

Crick
SVP
SVP
Followers: 259

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Heating-oil prices [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2014, 00:39
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Heating-oil prices   [#permalink] 04 Sep 2014, 00:39