Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 11:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher th is year than

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Accounting
GMAT Date: 04-06-2013
GPA: 3.65
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 112 [0], given: 46

Re: Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher th is year than [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2013, 01:43
SaraiGMAXonline wrote:
papillon86 wrote:
Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil than they were last year.

(A) Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil than they were
(B) Heating-oil prices are expected to rise higher this year over last because refiners pay about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did
(C) Expectations are for heating-oil prices to be higher this year than last year's because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did
(D) It is the expectation that heating-oil prices will be higher for this year over last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil now than what they were
(E) It is expected that heating-oil prices will rise higher this year than last year's because refiners pay about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did

You've done a good job guys! Let me see if I can help you out with some of the confusion regarding comparisons and ellipses:

A. Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil than they were
What is compared here are the times-- "this year" and "last" (meaning "last year"-- this is an ellipses).

When comparing time or place, you have two options for structuring the comparison:

1. Joe studies more at night that he does during the day. (The sentence compares Joe to himself.)

2. Joe studies more at night than during the day. (The sentence compares "at night" to "during the day.")

B. Heating-oil prices are expected to rise higher this year over last because refiners pay about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did

Important Note!! The comparative structure requires that you use "than" after the "--er".

Correct: Tom is older than Bob.
Incorrect: Tom is older compared to/in comparison with/over Bob

You must use "than" after you've used a word ending with --er.

C. Expectations are for heating-oil prices to be higher this year than last year's because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did

You can stop reading as soon as you get to "for heating-oil prices" because that is not a correct description of the the expectations. The expectations are not for prices, but rather that prices will....

Important Note: Do not change a relative clause into a mere prepositional phrase!!

Ex. "I think that chickens fly" (relative clause: that+subject+verb) IS NOT EQUIVALENT TO "I think of chickens flying" (prepositional phrase: of chickens)

D. It is the expectation that heating-oil prices will be higher for this year over last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil now than what they were

Same problem as B.

E. It is expected that heating-oil prices will rise higher this year than last year's because refiners pay about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did

"prices will rise higher this year than last year's" uses ellipses that hide the logic problem. Complete everything that was left out, and the resulting sentence is: "prices will rise higher this year than last year's prices rose. This is not intended meaning of the sentence.

Second, the word "more" is not correctly placed.

Correct: I paid 5 dollars more for my sandwich today than I did yesterday.

Incorrect: I paid 5 dollars for my sandwich more than I did yesterday.

"More" describes $5 and must therefore be placed next to $5.

HI
its just awesome explanation.1 kudos for u.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Schools: Smith '16 (I)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 13

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher th is year than [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2013, 11:35
dwivedys wrote:
HEATING OIL PRICES ARE EXPECTED TO BE HIGHER THIS YEAR THAN LAST
Now the comparison focus shifts from Price to Time frame (this year versus last)

Ok, I understand this concept, but where I got stuck was the construction of option A

"Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last" now I can follow last with 2 things, Last Year
or last year's Prices

If I choose the 1st option, I think It can very well become prices of oil last yr compared to this Yr

Can someone explain me why its not the case here?

Life is very similar to a boxing ring.
Defeat is not final when you fall down…
It is final when you refuse to get up and fight back!

1 Kudos = 1 thanks
Nikhil

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 27

Re: Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher th is year than [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2013, 03:34
E) It is expected that heating-oil prices will rise higher this year than last year's because refiners pay about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did

the main problem with "last year's " is that

this year in the previous phrase is an adverbial while "last year" in " last year's" is used as noun. there is no parallelism and the comparision is wrong.

we do not need "of" in the previous clause to use " 's " in the latter clause but we need a parallelism.

Hope I am correct.

If anyone in this gmat forum is in England,Britain, pls, email to me, (thanghnvn@gmail.com) . I have some questions and need your advise. Thank a lot.

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: Q V

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 72

Re: Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher th is year than [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2013, 08:21
I almost picked E but at the last minute realized that 'It' is ambiguous- and that A was correct. IMO Parallelism, ambiguity and proper tense are all being tested on this one!

Kudos if my post was helpful! :)

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Statistics, International Business
Schools: Fuqua, ISB '15
GMAT Date: 12-02-2013
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 46

Kudos [?]: 167 [1] , given: 39

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher th is year than [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2013, 09:32
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Bumping for review and further discussion*.

*New project from GMAT Club!!! Check HERE

Regards,

S

Consider +1 KUDOS if you find this post useful

SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 191 [0], given: 294

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher th is year than [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2013, 13:38
papillon86 wrote:
Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher th is year than last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil than they were last year.

(A) Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil than they were
(8) Heating-oil prices are expected to rise higher this year over last because refiners pay about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did
(C) Expectations are for heating-oil prices to be higher this year than last year's because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did
(d) It is the expectation that heating-oil prices will be higher for this year over last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil now than what they were
(E) It is expected that heating-oil prices will rise higher this year than last year's because refiners pay about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did

There's a typo in the original question. Please correct.
With regard to the question, the answer is straight A.
"Price are expected to be higher than last because refiners are paying more for oil than they were last year."
Don't fall for the redundancy trap - Rise higher is totally wrong
Perfect!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 11

Re: Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher th is year than [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2013, 05:04
I would like to add the scenarios for 'over' usage :

a) increased 10% over the past year
b) five per cent increase over the previous year
c) sales are up by 7.3 per cent over the same time last year
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 47

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher th is year than [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2014, 09:47
papillon86 wrote:
Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher th is year than last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil than they were last year.

(8) Heating-oil prices are expected to rise higher this year over last because refiners pay about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did
(d) It is the expectation that heating-oil prices will be higher for this year over last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil now than what they were

When we have these types of SC questions, where the underline portion consists of > 90% of the text, we need to be pretty methodical, CAREFUL and really, really, really understand the intended meaning. In this case, the fact that "last year" is not underline helps us in picking the right choice. So: focus on options that end in words that correctly "flow" into the words last year.

A) Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher... because refiners... are paying more.... THAN they were... [last year]. Than they were flows nicely into last year, and "they" correctly refers to refiners. Also, there's no ambiguity and words are not positioned in wrong places. So far so good, let's check the other options.

B) Heating-oil prices are expected to rise higher.. STOP. Rise higher? What? That implies some force will elevate prices so they physically rise above their current position. Obviously, this makes no sense.. Even if we ignore rise higher, "5 dollars a barrel for crude oil more" is wrong. More should come after 5 dollars otherwise more incorrectly refers to crude oil and not dollars. So, the errors here are grammatical. Notice that "they did" nicely flows into "last year" because they did refers to refiners.. Still, B is wrong for the grammatical errors.

C) "Expectations are for" seems like a perfect trap for certain non-native test-takers, but people that have had extensive exposure to american english know this sounds all types of wrong. Expectations are "for" nothing at all, frankly.. Something(s) is/are EXPECTED, or something is expected OF someone else, but not "for". Also, Im not sure but I believe "this year's" refers to expectations and not prices (it doesn't matter though, the option has so many other errors). And again, we have an error with "more" at the end of the sentence.

D) Again with the weird use of expectation.. "It is the expectation that" refers to who? Who expects? this option implies some sort of universal, objective expectation. Also "will rise higher" again implies prices will be elevated past their current, more down-to-earth position. That's clearly not the author's intent.

E) this is the best "wrong" answer, but it's still riddled with wrong elements. "rise higher" is wrong, "5 dollars for oil more" is wrong, and Im not sure (but it's just a minor issue) that "year's" is used correctly either.

Anyway.. A is clearly right because it is not riddled with the grammatical/meaning errors that the other options are.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 540 Q50 V15
GMAT 2: 640 Q50 V27
GPA: 3.11
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 84

Re: Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher th is year than [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2014, 07:31
papillon86 wrote:

A - Correct
B - Incorrect because rise and higher are redundant. Use one or the other.
C - Incorrect because "expectations are for" is wrong idiom.
D - Incorrect because "It is the expectation that" seems wordy.
E - Incorrect because rise and higher are redundant. Use one or the other.

Sahil Chaudhary
If you find this post helpful, please take a moment to click on the "+1 KUDOS" icon.
My IELTS 7.5 Experience
From 540 to 640...Done with GMAT!!!
http://www.sahilchaudhary007.blogspot.com

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 23

Re: Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher th is year than [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2014, 15:42
Despite going through the whole thread, i'm stuck on one specific point about option E. I can see why E is wrong because of the usage of "more than" but I picked E because of "heating-oil prices will rise higher this year than last year's..."

I felt that "year's" had to be a possessive because we are saying that " oil prices will rise higher this year than last year's oil prices" and we are NOT saying that "prices will higher than last year" because that would mean that we are comparing prices to year which is illogical.

Can someone please explain why my analysis is incorrect?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 2

Re: Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher th is year than [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2014, 21:25
russ9 wrote:
Despite going through the whole thread, i'm stuck on one specific point about option E. I can see why E is wrong because of the usage of "more than" but I picked E because of "heating-oil prices will rise higher this year than last year's..."

I felt that "year's" had to be a possessive because we are saying that " oil prices will rise higher this year than last year's oil prices" and we are NOT saying that "prices will higher than last year" because that would mean that we are comparing prices to year which is illogical.

For the most part, if last year's had to be correct, there should have been a similar structure on the left hand side of the comparison operator (than); something along the following lines:

...this year's heating-oil prices are expected to be higher than last year's...

Also, there is a significant meaning change that E introduces; original sentence is not talking about how much prices will rise this year (as E suggests); original sentence talks about how much the prices are expected to be this year.

Thanks,
Ashish
GMAT - 99th Pecentile, MBA-ISB, Faculty @ http://www.EducationAisle.com

Our book Sentence Correction Nirvana available at

Amazon: Sentence Correction Nirvana
Flipkart: Sentence Correction Nirvana

Re: Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher th is year than   [#permalink] 06 Sep 2014, 21:25