Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 03:48 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 03:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 605-655 Levelx   Comparisonsx   Idioms/Diction/Redundancyx   Meaning/Logical Predicationx   Verb Tense/Formx                                 
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 955
GMAT 1: 540 Q42 V23
GPA: 3.85
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1017 [0]
Given Kudos: 3851
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30781 [0]
Given Kudos: 634
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 221 [4]
Given Kudos: 329
GMAT 1: 670 Q50 V31
GMAT 2: 640 Q47 V30
GMAT 3: 700 Q49 V36
GMAT 4: 490 Q39 V18
GPA: 4
Send PM
Re: Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last becau [#permalink]
Kudos
I am confused with the use of "than". I will try to elaborate my confusion with official examples.

OG 19 - 758.

Prices at the producer level are only 1.3 percent higher now than a year ago and are going down, even though floods in the Midwest and drought in the south are hurting crops and therefore raised corn and soybean prices.

(A) than a year ago and are going down, even though floods in the Midwest and drought in the south are hurting crops and therefore raised

According to the OG explanantion this comparison in (A) is INCORRECT because it seems to be comparing the "prices" to "last year" which is illogical.
OG 19 - 772. (this question)

Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil than they were last year.

(A) Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil than they were

According to OG this comparison is CORRECT.

I fail to see the difference between the two and why one is correct and the other incorrect.
Please help me clarify this egmat GMATNinja sayantanc2k mikemcgarry
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63652 [9]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last becau [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
blitzkriegxX wrote:
I am confused with the use of "than". I will try to elaborate my confusion with official examples.

OG 19 - 758.

Prices at the producer level are only 1.3 percent higher now than a year ago and are going down, even though floods in the Midwest and drought in the south are hurting crops and therefore raised corn and soybean prices.

(A) than a year ago and are going down, even though floods in the Midwest and drought in the south are hurting crops and therefore raised

According to the OG explanantion this comparison in (A) is INCORRECT because it seems to be comparing the "prices" to "last year" which is illogical.
OG 19 - 772. (this question)

Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil than they were last year.

(A) Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil than they were

According to OG this comparison is CORRECT.

I fail to see the difference between the two and why one is correct and the other incorrect.

Great observation, blitzkriegxX. And I'm afraid that your question doesn't really have a great answer.

So here's a crappy-but-honest answer: the OG explanations are actually not very good. The people who write the OG explanations are generally random contractors who are NOT affiliated with GMAC in any way. (I interviewed an OG explanation-writer once. She was a long, long way from being an expert on the GMAT.) The questions that appear in the OGs are generally written years -- or even decades -- before they're released to the general public. So whoever writes the explanations is left to guess what the original question-writers' intent was.

That's why we see so many flaws in the explanations. There's a lot of lazy stuff in the OGs. For example, answer choices are often dismissed as "awkward", and that means basically nothing, since TONS of correct answers are pretty darned awkward. And if you look hard enough, you'll find plenty of contradictions from one question to the next -- for example, an idiom dismissed as "awkward" in one question might be identified as correct in another. :idontknow:

Back to answer choice (A) from the question from the other thread:

Quote:

I think the OG explanation is garbage here. The comparison you identified ("prices... are only 1.3 percent higher now than a year ago...") seems perfectly decent to me. But as pk123 mentioned, the verb tenses are a problem: "floods... and drought... are hurting crops and therefore raised... prices." Why the heck would those two things be in different tenses? It's saying that floods and draught raised prices in the past, but "are hurting crops" right now. That's nonsense.

To be fair, the correct answer changes the comparison to something that's arguably a little bit clearer: "prices are higher... than THOSE a year ago..." I just don't think that the comparison is the biggest factor, and the OG did a lousy job of communicating that.

Bottom line: take OG explanations with a grain of salt, because they're far from perfect.

I'm sure that this is among the least-satisfying things you've ever read on GMAT Club, but I hope it helps a bit, anyway!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 916 [0]
Given Kudos: 911
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:

But for whatever it’s worth: “they” still seems to refer perfectly reasonably to “refiners.” And the word “did” replaces the verb “pay” (or “paid”, since “did” is past tense). So those things are OK.

Hi GMATNinja generis
As per Manhattan SC guide
Quote:
The first instance of the verb should usually match the helping verb in tense. If you need to change tenses, repeat the whole verb in the new tense.
Wrong: I have never seen an aardvark, but last year my father DID.
Right: I have never seen an aardvark, but last year my father saw one.

So if we use the same principle in the options B, C, & E.
B. "did" can be replaced by "pay"
C. "did" can be replaced by "are paying"
E. "did" can be replaced by "pay"
and that is incorrect. As per meaning of the sentence, we need "were paying" in the last part of the sentence.

What is the gap in my understanding?

thanks
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35485 [3]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
cici wrote:

(B) Heating-oil prices are expected to rise higher this year over last because refiners pay about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did

(C) Expectations are for heating-oil prices to be higher this year than last year's because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did

(D) It is the expectation that heating-oil prices will be higher this year over last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil now than what they were

(E) It is the expected that heating-oil prices will rise higher this year than last year's because refiners pay about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did

OG2017 SC772

LordStark wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:

But for whatever it’s worth: “they” still seems to refer perfectly reasonably to “refiners.” And the word “did” replaces the verb “pay” (or “paid”, since “did” is past tense). So those things are OK.

Hi GMATNinja generis
As per Manhattan SC guide
Quote:
The first instance of the verb should usually match the helping verb in tense. If you need to change tenses, repeat the whole verb in the new tense.
Wrong: I have never seen an aardvark, but last year my father DID.
Right: I have never seen an aardvark, but last year my father saw one.

So if we use the same principle in the options B, C, & E.
B. "did" can be replaced by "pay"
C. "did" can be replaced by "are paying"
E. "did" can be replaced by "pay"
and that is incorrect. As per meaning of the sentence, we need "were paying" in the last part of the sentence.

What is the gap in my understanding?

thanks

LordStark , there is no gap in your understanding. (And you are working really hard! I can't keep up with your posts:) )

The book is wrong.

Ron Purewal explains that those particular parts are wrong:

"that's not accurate. in fact, one of the prime uses of helping verbs in parallel constructions is to express the same verb in a different tense.."

we may already have gotten rid of that "rule" in the 5th edition books.

The authors did not get rid of the rule.

Take a look HERE.

The posts by Ron P in the next link are good. They are about helping verbs and the instances in which do, does, or did will work. (Almost always.)

The posts can be found here, on this thread

Finally GMATNinja 's explanation is really good. His explanation is HERE. The did in the other options is a red herring. GMATNinja explained the other options' errors.

HERE is an official question involving the use of did that might help more than this question.

Finally, here is a forum topic thread dedicated to ellipsis and substitution, a discussion that includes mikemcgarry and egmat.

I think that reading those two threads will be much more productive than staying with this one. :-)

Hope that analysis helps.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 398 [0]
Given Kudos: 120
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 4
Send PM

(B) Heating-oil prices are expected to rise higher this year over last because refiners pay about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did
(E) It is expected that heating-oil prices will rise higher this year than last year's because refiners pay about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did

Is "pay" correct here? I eliminated B & D considering that , "refiners are paying" is superior to "refiners pay". Refiners pay sounds as if refiners are always paying 5 dollars more.(Kinda Universal truth).

Is my reasoning correct?
GMATNinja egmat mikemcgarry
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 14672 [1]
Given Kudos: 766
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
darshak1 wrote:

(E) It is expected that heating-oil prices will rise higher this year than last year's because refiners pay about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did

Is "pay" correct here? I eliminated B & D considering that , "refiners are paying" is superior to "refiners pay". Refiners pay sounds as if refiners are always paying 5 dollars more.(Kinda Universal truth).

Is my reasoning correct?
GMATNinja egmat mikemcgarry

Hello darshak1!

Thanks for your question! As you can see from my explanation above, I didn't cover the "are paying/pay" debate at all. Why? Because both are correct to use here and mean the same thing. There are other differences between each option that actually are grammatically incorrect, and if you follow those differences, you'll get to the correct answer quickly.

Sometimes, the GMAT likes to throw in things like this to trip you up. Typically, if you see a comparison question, start by focusing your attention there instead of which present tense verb to use. It's more common in a comparison question to see problems with the comparison and less so with other minor things.

I hope this helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [0]
Given Kudos: 228
Send PM
daagh wrote:
Ellipsis is at its full play in this topic. Let me paraphrase it, with the elliptical elements in parenthesis.

A) Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year
than last (year) because refiners are paying about $5 a
barrel more for crude oil than they were (paying) last year.
One can now see how the comparisons are smugly fitting in.

2.) It is expected that heating-oil prices will rise
higher this year than last year's because refiners
pay about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than
they did

A cue for the correctness of the comparison can be had from the placement of the comparison -marker such as than etc. The comparison marker is place placed either next or prior to what it compares. Here in this case, than is placed next to this year and therefore the comparison should legally appear with a similar feature such as last year and not last year’s.

daagh
one doubt i have :
heationg oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last
here last year and this year are being compared as than is closest to last and on lhs of than we have this year.
But what is the basis of comparison here ?
Is it
Prices this year vs prices last year.

See if i say
Michael loves Julie more than Sara.
it may mean
Michael loves julie more than Mochael loves(subject+verb repeated fro understanding) Sara
or it may mean
Mochael loves julie more than Sara loves Julie(verb+object )

So this is ambiguity
Now coming to orgnl sentence
i cannot say
Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than[heating oil prices are expected] last year (repated sub+verb)--but this is tense issue ,it should be were but since were is no where else used in this senetnce so we cannot omit were so this cannot be desried compariosn
So my question is
Are we taking that only subject is repeated here.is that allowed?
heating oil prices this year than [heating oil prices--repeating only subject] last year.
but isnot it wrong to assume something after than when last year is given after than
so if last year is given than how we made compariosn of price this year vs price[how did this price came after than] last year
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [1]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM