Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 02:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 296 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2010, 19:01
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

70% (01:58) correct 30% (01:28) wrong based on 118 sessions
Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil than they were last year.

A) Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil than they were
B) Heating-oil prices are expected to rise higher this year over last because refiners pay about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did
C) Expectations are for heating-oil prices to be higher this year than last year's becuase refiners are paying about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did
D) It is the expectation that heating-oil prices will be higher this year over last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil now than what they were
E) It is the expected that heating-oil prices will rise higher this year than last year's because refiners pay about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did

After giving your answer, please explain this:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
OA is A. However, I don't understand why it is correct. I think that "than last" should be "than last's" or "those of last year", or something similar. Thanks!

OA is:
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

Re: Heating-oil prices [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2010, 20:18
i did this question based on elimination, rather than selection.

you can straight away rule out c, d, and e because of the wordy nature of the sentences and the wrong grammar used.

from a and b, higher should be followed by 'than', so the OA should be A.

The options you suggested don't go with this construction of the sentence as the word
prices has been mentioned in the start of the sentence.

ps: if you give gmat prep's sc's, you'll find plenty of sc qsns which are not about the correct sentence/construction but finding the best of the lot.
3 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 82 [3] , given: 65

GMAT Tests User
Re: Heating-oil prices [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2010, 20:51
This post received
KUDOS
A.

This is a comparison question I often have trouble with, but I will do my best to explain.

Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil than they were last year.

A) Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil than they were
Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than (heating-oil prices were) last (year) Parentheses are omitted. - correct compoarison
Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last year's or last's (Heating-oil prices) -wrong comparison. We are comparing this year to last year.
If you want to use last year's, we must write
This year's heating-oil prices are expected to be higher than last year's or last's -correct

Let's say Heating-oil prices are just A. We can rewrite
A is expected to be higher this year than (A was) last (year). - correct
A is expected to be higher this year than last's (A) - wrong as this sentence is comparing this year to last year's A.
This year's A is expected to be higher than last year's/last's A - correct

B) Heating-oil prices are expected to rise higher this year over last because refiners pay about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did
Higher over is unidiomatic. Higher...than is correct.
rise higher is redundant.

C) Expectations are for heating-oil prices to be higher this year than last year's becuase refiners are paying about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did
are for heating-oil prices to be is wordy and confusing
last year's should be last year for the same reason mentioned in A.
are paying should be followed by they were

D) It is the expectation that heating-oil prices will be higher this year over last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil now than what they were
It is the expectation that is unnecessarily wordy. It is expected that is better.
'higher....over' is wrong. 'higher...than' is correct.

E) It is the expected that heating-oil prices will rise higher this year than last year's because refiners pay about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did
I think that you made a typo. Answer choice must be 'It is expected that' not 'it is the expected that,' which is correct.
last year's is wrong for the same reason explained earlier in answer A.

Consider KUDOS if my post was helpful. :-D

My Debrief: 750-q49v42-105591.html#p825487

Last edited by scheol79 on 31 Oct 2010, 21:46, edited 1 time in total.
VP
VP
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 139 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: Heating-oil prices [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2010, 21:24
scheol79 wrote:
A.

This is a comparison question I often have trouble with, but I will do my best to explain.

Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than (heating-oil prices were) last (year) Parentheses are omitted. - correct compoarison
Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last year's or last's (Heating-oil prices) -wrong comparison. We are comparing this year to last year.
If you want to use last year's, we must write
This year's heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last year's or last's -correct

Let's say Heating-oil prices are just A. We can rewrite
A is expected to be higher this year than (A was) last (year). - correct
A is expected to be higher this year than last's (A) - wrong as this sentence is comparing this year to last year's A.
This year's A is expected to be higher this year than last year's/last's A - correct

Higher over is unidiomatic. Higher...than is correct.

are for heating-oil prices to be is wordy and confusing
last year's should be last year for the same reason mentioned in A.
are paying should be followed by they were

It is the expectation that is unnecessarily wordy. It is expected that is better.
'higher....over' is wrong. 'higher...than' is correct.

I think that you made a typo. Answer choice must be 'It is expected that' not 'it is the expected that,' which is correct.
last year's is wrong for the same reason explained earlier in answer A.

IMO A too.
it's all correct.Moreover, in options B and E rise higher is redundant.

Visit -- http://www.sustainable-sphere.com/
Promote Green Business,Sustainable Living and Green Earth !!

Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton,NY Stern,INSEAD,Stanford
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 25

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Heating-oil prices [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2010, 23:49
C, D, E Out
B --> Higher ...over incorrect idiom
A is best option

Regards,
Nagesh
My GMAT Study Plan: my-gmat-study-plan-112833.html
Idioms List : gmat-idioms-104283.html?hilit=idioms#p813231
--------------------------------------
Consider Kudos if you like my posts

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2013, 06:55
I did this question some time ago, but then the answer was E. why aren't these questions consistent in what the right answer should be.

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit
SVP
SVP
Followers: 257

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than [#permalink] New post 08 May 2014, 04:41
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT Date: 05-28-2014
GPA: 3.9
WE: Consulting (Entertainment and Sports)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 9

Re: Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than [#permalink] New post 21 May 2014, 11:38
Can please someone explain, under what circumstances “they were” is right in this case?

Isn’t it referring to “refiners are paying”?
Therefore “refiners are paying 5$ more, than they did last year”, instead of “… than they were” last year?

Were payed sounds totally weird to me, even if agree with the rest of the official answer :(
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: EnterMBA.in
Prasad: Hariharan
GRE 1: 2280 Q790 V710
GPA: 3.3
WE: Editorial and Writing (Education)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 45 [1] , given: 4

Re: Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than [#permalink] New post 21 May 2014, 19:47
This post received
KUDOS
Refiners "are paying" more than they "were (paying)" last year.

--Prasad

GMAT and MBA admissions Coach
EnterMBA

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 19 [1] , given: 2

Re: Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than [#permalink] New post 21 May 2014, 20:53
This post received
KUDOS
holdem wrote:
Can please someone explain, under what circumstances “they were” is right in this case?

Isn’t it referring to “refiners are paying”?
Therefore “refiners are paying 5$ more, than they did last year”, instead of “… than they were” last year?

Were payed sounds totally weird to me, even if agree with the rest of the official answer :(

Hi holdem,

It’s a case of ellipsis and the word missing is ‘paying’ not ‘paid’. So, the verb is ‘were paying’ not ‘were paid’.

Let’s take two simplified versions of the sentence to understand the difference in the meaning conveyed by ‘were’ and ‘did’ in this context.

Refiners are paying 5$ more for crude oil than they were (paying) last year.

The past continuous tense (were) tells us that this action of paying happens weekly/monthly/quarterly. So, when we compare ‘are paying’ with ‘were paying’ it means that the payments were made in the same interval last year as well.

Refiners are paying 5$ more for crude oil than they did (pay) last year.

The simple past tense (did) here tells us that this action happened once in the past. So, the refiners are paying 5$ more than they paid last year. It means that last year there was only one payment of X dollars and this year the refiners are paying ‘X+5’ dollars weekly/monthly/quarterly.

Hope this helps! :)
Manyu
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT Date: 05-28-2014
GPA: 3.9
WE: Consulting (Entertainment and Sports)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 9

Re: Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than [#permalink] New post 21 May 2014, 23:19
Thank you prasi55 and manyu2409,

now it's totally clear :). Maybe I was just to tired yesterday.

holdem
Re: Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than   [#permalink] 21 May 2014, 23:19