Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 23:43 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 23:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 655-705 Levelx   Modifiersx   Pronounsx   Use of Beingx   Verb Tense/Formx                                 
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [2]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [2]
Given Kudos: 154
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 73
Send PM
Re: Heavy commitment by an executive to a course of action, especially if [#permalink]
GMATNinja wrote:
This is one of the OG questions that causes the most trouble, partly because a lot of GMAT test-takers have an (occasionally incorrect) impulse to automatically eliminate any answer choice with the word "being."

But we'll get to that. Let's take these buggers in order:

Quote:
A. Heavy commitment by an executive to a course of action, especially if it has worked well in the past, makes it likely to miss signs of incipient trouble or misinterpret them when they do appear.

That second "it" is the big problem here: "makes it likely to miss signs of incipient trouble..." I suppose that "it" could refer to "heavy commitment" or "course of action", but neither of those would make any sense. (A) is gone.

Quote:
B. An executive who is heavily committed to a course of action, especially one that worked well in the past, makes missing signs of incipient trouble or misinterpreting ones likely when they do appear.

This is fairly subtle, but the subject doesn't make a whole lot of sense with the main verb here. "An executive... makes missing signs of incipient trouble... likely when they do appear." The pronoun "they" is OK, but it doesn't make logical sense to say that "an executive makes missing signs of trouble likely..." Also, I see no good reason use "ones" here -- in theory, "ones" would refer to very specific signs of trouble, and there's no good reason to use "ones" when a simple "them" would work. (B) is gone.

Quote:
C. An executive who is heavily committed to a course of action is likely to miss or misinterpret signs of incipient trouble when they do appear, especially if it has worked well in the past.

The "it" is a problem here: "it" generally refers to the nearest singular noun. In this case, "it" would seem to refer to "trouble," and that doesn't make a whole lot of sense. "Course of action" would work, but that's much farther back in the sentence.

To be fair, ambiguous pronouns aren't always wrong on the GMAT, so if you want to be conservative, you could keep (C) for now. But as we'll see in a moment, (E) is a much better option.

Quote:
D. Executives’ being heavily committed to a course of action, especially if it has worked well in the past, makes them likely to miss signs of incipient trouble or misinterpreting them when they do appear.

"Them" is trying to refer back to a possessive pronoun, "executives'", and that's wrong on the GMAT. Non-possessive pronouns (they, them, he, she, it) can't refer back to possessive nouns on the GMAT. So (D) is gone.

Quote:
E. Being heavily committed to a course of action, especially one that has worked well in the past, is likely to make an executive miss signs of incipient trouble or misinterpret them when they do appear.

There are lots of pronoun issues in the other answer choices, but we're all good with (E): the ambiguous "it" we saw in (C) isn't here at all, and "them" and "they" very clearly refer to "signs of incipient trouble." The subject "being heavily committed to a course of action" works nicely with the main verb phrase ("is likely to make an executive miss signs of trouble..."), so (E) is an upgrade from (B).

That leaves "being" as the only reasonable objection to (E). But "being" is absolutely fine here: it's just a noun, also known as a gerund in this case. "Being" is no different than any other gerund. So (E) is our answer.

Please see last Monday's Topic of the Week for more on gerunds and other "-ing" words on the GMAT: https://gmatclub.com/forum/experts-topi ... 39780.html.

GMATNinja, as far as the explanation in option D is concerned, I believe the following official example makes an exception to this rule.

Emily Dickinson’s letters to Susan Huntington Dickinson were written over a period beginning a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother and ending shortly before Emily’s death in 1886, outnumbering her letters to anyone else.

So should we not consider this as an absolute rule?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [0]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Heavy commitment by an executive to a course of action, especially if [#permalink]
Expert Reply
sreddy07 wrote:
GMATNinja, as far as the explanation in option D is concerned, I believe the following official example makes an exception to this rule.

Emily Dickinson’s letters to Susan Huntington Dickinson were written over a period beginning a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother and ending shortly before Emily’s death in 1886, outnumbering her letters to anyone else.

So should we not consider this as an absolute rule?

Yup, our understanding of that "rule" has definitely changed! Check out this post for a discussion of this issue and another explanation of (D).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
I just have two issues in E (though it is the best in the lot):
1- Being is used in modifier (which I read in the forum is always wrong)
2- Being should be followed by "Executive" and not "especially one that"

Can someone please tell me where am I going wrong?
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5134 [0]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Expert Reply
NOw wrote:
I just have two issues in E (though it is the best in the lot):
1- Being is used in modifier (which I read in the forum is always wrong)

The idea that the use of "being" is always incorrect is not quite right.

That idea comes from the fact that SC question writers have in some cases used "being" in illogical ways to create incorrect choices, but it's not always incorrect to use "being."

In this case, "being heavily committed to a course of action, especially one that has worked well in the past" is the subject of the sentence.

The point of the sentence is that "being heavily committed" in a certain way "is likely to make" something occur.

That meaning is logical. So, the use of "being" makes sense in this case.

Quote:
2- Being should be followed by "Executive" and not "especially one that"

Can someone please tell me where am I going wrong?

Since, as I said above, "being" is the subject of the sentence, not a modifier, "being" does not have to be followed by "executive."

Notice that, in "Being heavily committed to a course of action, especially one that has worked well in the past," "especially one that has worked well in the past" simply modifies "course of action."
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Send PM
I have a question in choice E.
I understand that this is the right answer/.
I want to understand what does "them" in "misinterpret them" represent? Does it represent signs or trouble?
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5134 [1]
Given Kudos: 1431
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
fatsam0786 wrote:
I have a question in choice E.
I understand that this is the right answer/.
I want to understand what does "them" in "misinterpret them" represent? Does it represent signs or trouble?

The plural pronoun "them" refers to the plural noun "signs," or alternatively, we could say that "them" refers to the plural "signs of trouble."
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [2]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Kudos
Can 'it' refer back to a situation or an act? I believe 'it' can only refer to a noun.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Hi GMAT Ninja,

I'm super confused on the bold part below

(E) Being heavily committed to a course of action, especially one that has worked well in the past, is likely to make an executive miss signs of incipient trouble or misinterpret them when they do appear.

Since the subject is "an executive", isn't the correct verb should be "misses"?

Thanks
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [2]
Given Kudos: 629
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
aproposof wrote:
Hi GMAT Ninja,

I'm super confused on the bold part below

(E) Being heavily committed to a course of action, especially one that has worked well in the past, is likely to make an executive miss signs of incipient trouble or misinterpret them when they do appear.

Since the subject is "an executive", isn't the correct verb should be "misses"?

Thanks

Hi aproposof,

We can use an object followed by a bare infinitive (the plain form a verb, without a to) after certain verbs like make, watch, and see.

1. X makes Y miss Z.
2. X watched Y miss Z.
3. X saw Y miss Z.

Miss, as it is used in all these examples, is the plain (simplest) form of a verb. It's not a complete verb, and won't change form even if Y is singular.

4. X wants Y to miss Z.

In (4), we see a full infinitive (plain form with a to). That's just how the verb want works. But make is different. We can't say X made Y to miss Z. It must be X made Y miss Z.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Hi AjiteshArun

It's very helpful

Thank you much!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 1250
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
Send PM
Heavy commitment by an executive to a course of action, especially if [#permalink]
marine wrote:

Heavy commitment by an executive to a course of action, especially if it has worked well in the past, makes it likely to miss signs of incipient trouble or misinterpret them when they do appear.

A. Heavy commitment by an executive to a course of action, especially if it has worked well in the past, makes it likely to miss signs of incipient trouble or misinterpret them when they do appear.

B. An executive who is heavily committed to a course of action, especially one that worked well in the past, makes missing signs of incipient trouble or misinterpreting ones likely when they do appear.

C. An executive who is heavily committed to a course of action is likely to miss or misinterpret signs of incipient trouble when they do appear, especially if it has worked well in the past.

D. Executives' being heavily committed to a course of action, especially if it has worked well in the past, makes them likely to miss signs of incipient trouble or misinterpreting them when they do appear.

E. Being heavily committed to a course of action, especially one that has worked well in the past, is likely to make an executive miss signs of incipient trouble or misinterpret them when they do appear.

Hi experts GMATNinja IanStewart AjiteshArun

I've checked all the previous post in this thread but have one doubt for the correct answer (E) that no post addressed. So I decided to write my own post and hope that you could share some of your thoughts when you have time. :)

I selected the option (E), but I do not know why the use of present perfect tense in (E) is correct.

Many text books (for GMAT and for regular English education) have pointed out that the present perfect tense is used to show either an action that started at a moment in the past and continues at present or a completed action that has a continued effect relevant to the present moment. Two examples would be "The inflation has risen since January" and "The Fed has raised the benchmark rates."

According to these text books, if the present perfect tense is used with a time phrase, the time phrase should include the present moment, such as "since (a time point)," "for (a time period)." A time phrase that includes only the past moment should not be used with the present perfect tense, such as "last year" or "in 2020." Cambridge Dictionary also gives similar advice: https://reurl.cc/XjmKQa.

The way the present perfect tense is used in (E) is strongly against these suggestions. I am not saying that (E) should not be the correct option, since it delivers the intended meaning most accurately among the five options. But (E)'s use of present perfect tense confuses me. I don't mean that these text books must be correct, and I am also aware that GMAT is not a grammar test, but I wonder whether it is really acceptable to use the present perfect tense with a time phrase only including the past moment.

SC is a meaning test, but the use of the present perfect tense in (E) does not give me a clear meaning--why does not the option (E) just say "especially one that worked well in the past"? What is the benefit of using the present perfect tense?

I usually do not use verb tense to elimination options, or I might directly cross of all options except for (B), the only one option using the simple past tense in "especially one that worked in the past." But (B) has a meaning error in that it means the executive himself or herself makes missing trouble signs possible. So in the end, I did select (E), half-heartedly.

Could you share some of your thoughts on the present perfect tense?
If next time, another option in another SC question adopts such use, would you advise me to tolerate it and check other issues?

Thank you so much! :)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [6]
Given Kudos: 629
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Heavy commitment by an executive to a course of action, especially if [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi GraceSCKao,

I'll put my thoughts down below.

GraceSCKao wrote:
Many text books (for GMAT and for regular English education) have pointed out that the present perfect tense is used to show either an action that started at a moment in the past and continues at present or a completed action that has a continued effect relevant to the present moment.

This is broadly correct. The present perfect is used for (a) something in the indefinite past, (b) something that started in the past and is still going on, or (c) something that covers an entire duration of time before now. It's a good fit when the the author or speaker is concerned more about now than the past.

GraceSCKao wrote:
A time phrase that includes only the past moment should not be used with the present perfect tense, such as "last year" or "in 2020."

This is also correct. The "indefinite" in "indefinite past" means that we can't be very precise about exactly when something happened. If we want to specify a past time, we shouldn't use the present perfect. However, keep in mind that in the past isn't a precise time marker. This means that we can say something like "Inflation has been a problem in the past" (we can't be super precise though, so "Inflation has been a problem in 1972" is not correct).

GraceSCKao wrote:
The way the present perfect tense is used in (E) is strongly against these suggestions. I am not saying that (E) should not be the correct option, since it delivers the intended meaning most accurately among the five options. But (E)'s use of present perfect tense confuses me. I don't mean that these text books must be correct, and I am also aware that GMAT is not a grammar test, but I wonder whether it is really acceptable to use the present perfect tense with a time phrase only including the past moment.

We can use the present perfect for the past, as long as we don't specify the (precise) time. If we don't specify the time at all, it's usually understood that we're referring to some period of time before now that includes the thing we're discussing.

GraceSCKao wrote:
SC is a meaning test, but the use of the present perfect tense in (E) does not give me a clear meaning--why does not the option (E) just say "especially one that worked well in the past"? What is the benefit of using the present perfect tense?

This is not an easy question to answer, and we shouldn't get into the present perfect vs. simple past debate. Instead, I'll focus on what I consider to be the most important advantages of using the present perfect in E.

1. The present perfect helps us focus on now, rather than the past.

Consider a sentence like this:
1a. Why should you get the role when you haven't even taken part in a school play?

And compare it with this one:
1b. Why should you get the role when you didn't even take part in a school play?

(1a) keeps us focused on the present, whereas (1b) forces a shift to the past and seems to change the meaning to ~a decision (as opposed to ~a state). In this case, (1a) is the most likely intended meaning.

2. The present perfect is less likely to lead to a "one-time" interpretation.

"Why did you choose this course of action?"
2a. Because it has worked well in the past.
2b. Because it worked well in the past.

(2a) gives us the impression that this is something that has been tried (with success) multiple times in the past, whereas (2b) is slightly ambiguous. Did it work well once? Or did it work well generally? Also, as in (1), we can see that (2b) seems a little distant, as if we're talking about something we haven't used in some time. So we know that something worked well in the past, but does it work well now? Because (2b) is a little more "distant" than (2a), it is less effective at giving the reader the impression that this is something that can still be expected to work well.

GraceSCKao wrote:
If next time, another option in another SC question adopts such use, would you advise me to tolerate it and check other issues?

Yes. :) We should always prioritise easy (and reliable) calls.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [1]
Given Kudos: 1250
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
Send PM
Kudos
AjiteshArun wrote:
GraceSCKao wrote:
A time phrase that includes only the past moment should not be used with the present perfect tense, such as "last year" or "in 2020."

This is also correct. The "indefinite" in "indefinite past" means that we can't be very precise about exactly when something happened. If we want to specify a past time, we shouldn't use the present perfect. However, keep in mind that in the past isn't a precise time marker. This means that we can say something like "Inflation has been a problem in the past" (we can't be super precise though, so "Inflation has been a problem in 1972" is not correct).

Thank you AjiteshArun so much for your prompt response and clear explanations! :)

I could see it now--"in the past" conveys an indefinite moment in the past, so it does not need to be treated in the same way as the definite past moment, such as "in 2020." I think I could ignore it when it is used with a present perfect tense, since this tense, without a clear time phrase, is also often used to convey the idea that something happened in the past.

1. I've lived in the city for 10 years.
=>I began living in this city 10 years ago and I still live in the city now.

2. I've lived in the city.
=>I do not live in the city anymore, but the fact that I once lived in the city is somehow relevant to the discussion at the present moment.

3. I've lived in the city in the past.
=> I did not think that this structure could be viable, but now I see that it conveys the same meaning as the preceding one.

4. I lived in the city in 2020.
=>I lived in the city at a definite past moment. I do not live in the city anymore.

5. I lived in the city for 10 years.
=>I started living in the city at a moment in the past, and I did so for 10 years. But I do not live in the city anymore.

I think that there is a delicate line between the use of present perfect tense (without a time phrase) and the use of simple past tense, a line that I cannot easily spot. Although both convey the idea that something happened in the past, the messages are subtly different, as shown in the difference between "I've lived in the city" and "I lived in the city."

AjiteshArun wrote:
GraceSCKao wrote:
Why does not the option (E) just say "especially one that worked well in the past"? What is the benefit of using the present perfect tense?

This is not an easy question to answer, and we shouldn't get into the present perfect vs. simple past debate. Instead, I'll focus on what I consider to be the most important advantages of using the present perfect in E.

1. The present perfect helps us focus on now, rather than the past.

1a. Why should you get the role when you haven't even taken part in a school play?
1b. Why should you get the role when you didn't even take part in a school play?

(1a) keeps us focused on the present, whereas (1b) forces a shift to the past and seems to change the meaning to ~a decision (as opposed to ~a state). In this case, (1a) is the most likely intended meaning.

2. The present perfect is less likely to lead to a "one-time" interpretation.

"Why did you choose this course of action?"
2a. Because it has worked well in the past.
2b. Because it worked well in the past.

(2a) gives us the impression that this is something that has been tried (with success) multiple times in the past, whereas (2b) is slightly ambiguous. Did it work well once? Or did it work well generally? Also, as in (1), we can see that (2b) seems a little distant, as if we're talking about something we haven't used in some time. So we know that something worked well in the past, but does it work well now? Because (2b) is a little more "distant" than (2a), it is less effective at giving the reader the impression that this is something that can still be expected to work well.

Thank you for your detailed explanations! :)

I personally think that it is hard to grasp the line between the simple past tense and the present perfect tense. Maybe one day I can grasp it as my exposure to English increases over time. I will keep your explanations in mind. And, thanks for your suggestions--I will concentrate on other concrete issues first. :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 332
Send PM
Heavy commitment by an executive to a course of action, especially if it has worked well in the past, makes it likely to miss signs of incipient trouble or misinterpret them when they do appear.

Test: Pronoun, Noun modifier
-> "it" is referred to 2 different nouns

-> Bad structure

-> Unclear on what "it" is modifying

D. Executives' being heavily committed to a course of action, especially if it has worked well in the past, makes them likely to miss signs of incipient trouble or misinterpreting them when they do appear.
=> "It" unclear antecedent. "Them": no antecedent

=> Correct

OG16 SC110
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 626
Send PM
For Choice E, "Being heavily committed to a course of action, especially one that has worked well in the past, is likely to make an executive miss signs of incipient trouble or misinterpret them when they do appear." I was struggling to understand how "an executive" can be so far away from the -ing modifier at the beginning of the sentence. I thought there was a rule that you need to have the noun that the sub clause or absolute phrase is modifying as close as possible to the sub clause or absolute phrase.

I realize that you are not supposed to rewrite GMAT correct answers to try to make them correct, but this is what I would think the correct answer would look like:
"Being heavily committed to a course of action, especially one that has worked well in the past, AN EXECUTIVE is likely to miss signs of incipient trouble or misinterpret them when they do appear."

I see that you need the "especially one that has worked well in the past" to be close to "course of action" because it directly modifies "course of action", but then in my view "an executive" should come directly after the comma.

Thank you for your time and help.
Own Kudos [?]: 507 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
woohoo921 wrote:
For Choice E, "Being heavily committed to a course of action, especially one that has worked well in the past, is likely to make an executive miss signs of incipient trouble or misinterpret them when they do appear." I was struggling to understand how "an executive" can be so far away from the -ing modifier at the beginning of the sentence.

That construction doesn't have to obey modifier rules because that construction isn't a modifier.

In this version of the sentence, "Being..." (a 'gerund' = _ING-as-noun, like "swimming" in the sentence Swimming is fun) is the main subject. "Is" (in front of "likely", is the main verb.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
woohoo921 wrote:
For Choice E, "Being heavily committed to a course of action, especially one that has worked well in the past, is likely to make an executive miss signs of incipient trouble or misinterpret them when they do appear." I was struggling to understand how "an executive" can be so far away from the -ing modifier at the beginning of the sentence. I thought there was a rule that you need to have the noun that the sub clause or absolute phrase is modifying as close as possible to the sub clause or absolute phrase.

I realize that you are not supposed to rewrite GMAT correct answers to try to make them correct, but this is what I would think the correct answer would look like:
"Being heavily committed to a course of action, especially one that has worked well in the past, AN EXECUTIVE is likely to miss signs of incipient trouble or misinterpret them when they do appear."

I see that you need the "especially one that has worked well in the past" to be close to "course of action" because it directly modifies "course of action", but then in my view "an executive" should come directly after the comma.

Thank you for your time and help.

Hello woohoo921,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, in Option E "Being..." is not actually a modifier acting on the noun "an executive".

Rather, "Being", in Option E, is a gerund - a present participle ("verb+ing") that acts as a noun, making "Being heavily committed to a course of action" a noun phrase that is acted upon by the verb phrase "is likely to make an executive miss signs...".

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts