Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 12:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Heavy commitment by an executive to a course of action,

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
8 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 49 [8] , given: 0

Heavy commitment by an executive to a course of action, [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2004, 15:48
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Heavy commitment by an executive to a course of action, especially if it has worked well in the past, makes it likely to miss signs of incipient trouble or misinterpret them when they do appear.
A. Heavy commitment by an executive to a course of action, especially if it has worked well in the past, makes it likely to miss signs of incipient trouble or misinterpret them when they do appear.
B. An executive who is heavily committed to a course of action, especially one that worked well in the past, makes missing signs of incipient trouble or misinterpreting ones likely when they do appear.
C. An executive who is heavily committed to a course of action is likely to miss or misinterpret signs of incipient trouble when they do appear, especially if it has worked well in the past.
D. Executives' being heavily committed to a course of action, especially if it has worked well in the past, makes them likely to miss signs of incipient trouble or misinterpreting them when they do appear.
E. Being heavily committed to a course of action, especially one that has worked well in the past, is likely to make an executive miss signs of incipient trouble or misinterpret them when they do appear.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2005, 06:35
Vaslid,

You got me. But here is what I think.

Being heavily committed to a course of action. Who is committed??

Lets change the sentence a bit...

Preparing for GMAT, Vaslid, being heavily committed to a course of action,
especially one that has worked well in the past, is likely to make an executive miss signs of incipient trouble or misinterpret them when they do appear.

Now think about it. Here you have supplied a Noun or Subject, which is has a predicate and sentence makes prefect sense..

E seems to indicate that the course of action is likely to make an executive miss signs...

Even If that is the case, then "One" does not resolve anything.

The sentence is of poor quality.

I will not be surprised if the OA and E... You know what I mean...

And look at the question, what is this sentence testing???
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2005, 07:04
riteshgupta1 wrote:

especially one that has worked well in the past, is likely to make an executive miss signs of incipient trouble or misinterpret them when they do appear.

Now think about it. Here you have supplied a Noun or Subject, which is has a predicate and sentence makes prefect sense..

E seems to indicate that the course of action is likely to make an executive miss signs...

I really don't understand why you see a problem with "one" in E. I think it clearly refers to the "course of action".

"Being heavily committed" is the subject of the sentence, so you don't need to supply a new one. By introducing "Preparing for the GMAT, Vasil,..." you actually transform the original subject into a modifier.

What do you mean by "what is this sentence testing"?

Vasil
==================
btw Ritesh, I don't mean to get on your nerves or anything. I just think it's useful to have an argument going
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2005, 13:41
vasild wrote:
riteshgupta1 wrote:

I really don't understand why you see a problem with "one" in E. I think it clearly refers to the "course of action".

"Being heavily committed" is the subject of the sentence, so you don't need to supply a new one. By introducing "Preparing for the GMAT, Vasil,..." you actually transform the original subject into a modifier.

Vasil
==================
btw Ritesh, I don't mean to get on your nerves or anything. I just think it's useful to have an argument going

Please, dont even think that way. It is very useful. Whatever I have learned is, believe me or not, from people like you. Here is what I think....

"Being heavily committed" is a participle phrase, not a noun phrase....
Where do you see a noun in the whole "subject".

Who is heavily committed...

Normally, how do you determine a subject. You ask a question in the sentence by asking "Who", "WHAT" is doing the action or being acted upon. Same goes for adjectives (what kind of) and adverbs (When, where and How).

It is clear phrase which needs to modify something...
And One THAT is always redundant in GMAT. You can easily change the sentence (If you think E is perfect) to, without changing the meaning..

being heavily committed to a course of action, especially , that has worked well in the past.

Why do you need one that...?

If you dont agree, the check OG question question No 9
Astronomers at the Palomar Observatory have discovered a distant supernova explosion, one that they believe is a type previously unknown to science.

I agree with you that E is best among the worst choices. And I am asking again, what type of sentence its it. Is it testing something? What is it testing? I dont see any comparsion, modifier problem, or subject verb agreement at all...

GMAT questions have a depth and test your knowledge on certain key things only. This question is useless...
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2005, 14:06
Now I see what you mean with the "what is it testing" question. I didn't realize that the GMAT is testing such specific categories of problems.

I guess I don't think in GMAT terms all that much, so E didn't sound so blatantly wrong to me. I obviously don't know formal grammar as well as you do, so I can't effectively argue with you on many of the remarks.

Anyways, we had our discussion... I'll be waiting to have more of that fun on some other thread :)
Vasil
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 195 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Heavy commitment [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2005, 18:49
A. Heavy commitment by an executive to a course of action, especially if it has worked well in the past, makes it likely to miss signs of incipient trouble or misinterpret them when they do appear.
Wrong. "it" doesn't have clear reference. It could refer to heavy commitment, or a course of action.

B. An executive who is heavily committed to a course of action, especially one that worked well in the past, makes missing signs of incipient trouble or misinterpreting ones likely when they do appear.
"missing signs of incipient trouble or misinterpreting ones", "ones" is definitely wrong.

C. An executive who is heavily committed to a course of action is likely to miss or misinterpret signs of incipient trouble when they do appear, especially if it has worked well in the past.
Correct. "it" refers to "a course of action". I would perhaps prefer if the last phrase is placed closer to "a course of action" (like adding it between "action" and "is", embrased with commas) to make sure "it"'s reference is clearer. However as it is now there's no grammar errors.

D. Executives’ being heavily committed to a course of action, especially if it has worked well in the past, makes them likely to miss signs of incipient trouble or misinterpreting them when they do appear.
This whole sentence is awkward. The subject is too long. "it"'s reference is not very clear, could be "a course", could be the subject itself. "miss signs of incipient trouble or misinterpreting them" is more cubumsome than "miss or misinterpret signs of incipient trouble". Most importantly, it has several "them" and "they" with unclear reference. Some of the "them" refers to the executives, others refer to the signs of trouble.

E. Being heavily committed to a course of action, especially one that has worked well in the past, is likely to make an executive miss signs of incipient trouble or misinterpret them when they do appear.
Again, the subject is too long and incorrect. "miss signs of incipient trouble or misinterpret them" is cubumsome. This sentence also has a passive slant.

I'd choose C.

Keep on asking, and it will be given you;
keep on seeking, and you will find;
keep on knocking, and it will be opened to you.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 136 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2005, 04:42
- Clumsy sentence construction "Heavy commitment by an executive..."

- 'makes missing signs of incipient trouble' is awkaward

D. Executives’ being heavily committed to a course of action, especially if it has worked well in the past, makes them likely to miss signs of incipient trouble or misinterpreting them when they do appear.
- Clumsy construction with 'executives' being heavily committed'

- 'Being heavily committed' would be better if the later part was 'is likely to cause' rather than 'likely to make an executive'

C is the best. It flows well and has no bad construction.

Please post the OA. Thanks.
Current Student
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 158 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2005, 18:36
My take on this is that if we are not 100% what is being modified then that option is wrong....looking at the answer choices, all choices have a flaw, they have subjective pronouns which are not refering to any subject...i.e "it" etc..

from the choices, E sounds better, thats about it...it is grammatically wrong....in the gmat world we pick the best choice....I gues i will have to trust my ear on this one....

vasild wrote:
riteshgupta1 wrote:

Vasil
==================
Director
Director
Followers: 2

GMAT Tests User
Heavy commitment by an executive to a course of action, [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2005, 18:03
Heavy commitment by an executive to a course of action, especially if it has worked well in the past, makes it likely to miss signs of incipient trouble or misinterpret them when they do appear.

Cheers, Rahul.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2005, 18:34
A. second 'it' has not clear referent
B. awkward
D. awkward

Between C and E, I go with E. All the pronouns stick close to what they are modifying. IN C, the second 'it' is seperated from 'course of action'

E for me.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Heavy commitment by an executive to a course of action, [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2007, 20:39

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2007, 06:44
E is the best choices. But as rightly pointed out by a few, the phrase "especially if it has worked well in the past" should refer to a course of action but that reference is not clear. This phrase should ideally be next to the course of action to be able to describe it properly.

Usually picking a sentence with "being" in it is risky but in this case E is the best choice.

Regards

Subhen

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2007, 07:05
D By POE:
Heavy commitment by an executive to a course of action, especially if it has worked well in the past, makes it likely to miss signs of incipient trouble or misinterpret them when they do appear. – Not sure what ‘it’ is referring to.

B. Changes the meaning, it seems that the executive himself makes it happen not his heavy commitment.

C. An executive who is heavily committed to a course of action is likely to miss or misinterpret signs of incipient trouble when they do appear, especially if it has worked well in the past. – Use of ‘it’ kills it.

D. Executives’ being heavily committed to a course of action, especially if it has worked well in the past, makes them likely to miss signs of incipient trouble or misinterpreting them when they do appear. – Funny looking but only one standing for me.

E. Strange – Lets rephrase: Being heavily committed to a course of action is likely to make an executive miss signs of incipient trouble or misinterpret them when they do appear.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC [Heavy Commitment] [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2007, 18:23
johnycute wrote:

Although E uses passive voice, it is still preferred to -in my opinion- 2nd best C, which has an ambiguous "it" that should refer to "course of action" but has "incipient trouble" as its nearest noun.

"Especially one that has worked well in the past", the appositive noun phrase in E, is well placed. In general, E is clear, grammatical and concise.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Heavy commitment by an executive to a course of action, [#permalink] New post 29 May 2007, 19:22

A.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 May 2007, 19:35
This post received
KUDOS

A. => "it" what commitment / course of action ?

C. An executive who is heavily committed to a course of action is likely to miss or misinterpret signs of incipient trouble when they do appear, especially if it has worked well in the past. => "it" / wordy

D. Executives’ being heavily committed to a course of action, especially if it has worked well in the past, makes them likely to miss signs of incipient trouble or misinterpreting them when they do appear. => wordy

Between A & E
I will go with E the best fit !!
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2007, 14:56
Jamesk486 wrote:
its C
but wouldn't the "it" and "they" be confusing in terms of referents?

To me, "they" have a clear reference, that is "signs of reference".
So does "it" with "a course of action".
What disturbs me is the fact that the part "especially when it worked in the past" is place at the end of the sentence. IMO, it makes sentence a little bit difficult to understand.
On the other hand, C is the best choice among others.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Heavy commitment by an executive to a course of action, [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2007, 14:53

Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2007, 15:50
B for lack of better choices.

A. "makes it likely"- makes what likely?
C. "especially if it has worked well in the past" should be next to "action"
D. "Executives’ being heavily committed" is awkward and the "being" makes it wrong.
E. Again "being" makes this wrong
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2007, 00:51
A. 'makes it likely to miss signs' -> 'it' doesn't have clear referent

B. 'makes missing signs of' -> awkward phrasing

C. 'especially if it has worked well in the past' -> appears to suggest the signs worked wekk

D. 'Executives’ being' -> awkward

E is best. Clear about what the sentence is trying to say and no pronoun error.
Director
Director
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 147 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC executive [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2007, 09:31
To me the real choice is between A and E.
Try to understand the meaning of a sentence; it is trying to say " too much commitment makes bad things likely to happen" ( as in A), NOT executive (as in B and C).
In E, "being committed" is ackward.

So, my choice is A

stevegt wrote:

Re: SC executive   [#permalink] 02 Aug 2007, 09:31