Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 10:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

HEC Montreal or Schulich

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

HEC Montreal or Schulich [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2010, 10:41
Hello,

I have been accepted to both programs! Which one should I choose?

I live in Montreal and would probably like to work there post-mba, but I would not mind working in Toronto especially if it's for a good job. HEC doesn't seem to participate in many rankings while Schulich is strongly positioned in many reputed rankings. However, reading comments over the internet, there are mix reviews about Schulich. Lots of individuals seem to say that it is very overrated. Any truth to that? As far as HEC, there are not that many comments over the internet, but consensus say that the teachers are very strong. Also, since I live in Montreal, I would pay next to nothing because the school receives governmental subsities. HEC --> $6,500 while Schulich --> $48,000.

Note that I don't have much of an interest for i-banking. I am more interesting in general management and marketing. Honestly, I believe that Schulich may be a better fit because it is a 16-20 month program while HEC Montreal is an intenstive one year program, but the tuition difference is hard to ignore. Also, some Schulich reviews are starting to scare me a bit.

Help please!

Thanks,

Tmtl
Current Student
Schools: Oxford
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 5

Re: HEC Montreal or Schulich [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2010, 11:11
Schulich is pretty strong in marketing, especially locally in Canada. If you look for my earlier posts regarding this topic in the forum you can find more info on this.

Posted from my mobile device Image

Oxford Round 1 - interview invite 10/30/09, admit 12/11/09, ATTENDING 2010

My Road to Oxford and INSEAD http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-road-to-oxford-sbs-and-insead-89413.html#p676253

Intern
Intern

Re: HEC Montreal or Schulich [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2010, 14:13
Thanks for your input DrSatisfaction!

Could you elaborate on why you think Schulich is strong in Marketing? Is it because many firms/recuiters are hiring from Schulich or because their curriculum offers good marketing courses?

From what I have heard, recruiters tend to shy away from Schulich and go to Rotman and Ivey. Is it only in the case of i-banking?

Thanks,

Tmtl
Current Student
Schools: Schulich class of 2012
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 2

Re: HEC Montreal or Schulich [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2010, 18:50
I went to visit Schulich after I was accepted and I was very impressed with their marketing program. They have a lot of cool classes like Marketing the Entertainment Industry.

They seem to historically be the number one school for marketing in Canada, but not for investment banking. Generally, Ivey, Rotman, and Schulich are the "big three" in Canada.

Schulich is also a massive school with tons of resources. I'm very biased towards the school since I will be joining the class this August, and I can't really comment on HEC.

Schulich does have a great reputation for marketing, and it might be cool to get out of Montreal for 2 years. The tuition is massive, but they have a ton of scholarships available.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 10

Re: HEC Montreal or Schulich [#permalink] New post 07 May 2010, 11:07
HEC Montreal is a great business school, however, its MBA program is not very well known outside QUEBEC.

On the other hand, Schulich seems to be strong in Marketing & Entrepreneurship, and has a very good reputation even outside North America. Who knows, you might get a great opportunity to work in Dubai or Hong Kong after graduation.

Personally, I strongly recommend Schulich over HEC Montreal as I believe that Schulich's high ranking will help a lot to find good job in shot time.

Good luck,
Yahya
Intern
Intern

Re: HEC Montreal or Schulich [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2010, 11:05
Brother looking at your situation my advice will be HEC for you rather than York if you want to stay in Canada and work there only because:
a- Near your home and family
b-Economical
c- Has good reputation in Quebec
d- One year course finishes at quicker pace and sooner you will be earning.
e- Not much will be the salary package difference because toronto's cost of living is more and your re location expenses will eat away your salary

But if you want a global career go for YORK because its better known outide
Re: HEC Montreal or Schulich   [#permalink] 03 Jun 2010, 11:05