Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 10:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

HEC Paris Class of 2015 Sept intake: Calling all applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
HEC Thread Master
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools: HEC '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
WE: Underwriter (Insurance)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 24

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: HEC Paris September 2014 intake: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2014, 04:05
maitraab wrote:
zat wrote:
maitraab wrote:
IS HEC well known in India among recruiters/companies? Is the Alumni network strong in India ?
As told by one of my interviewers, there is a decent number of alumni members living in India. As far as companies are concerned, it depends on the type of company and their area of work. For example, it is quite well known among the big 4 consulting firms. It might not be that well known among Indian banks but there are French banks, such as BNP Paribas, which have set up operations in India.

Sent from my mobile device using Tapatalk

Thanks Zat. I was also told somewhat the same by my interviewers and to add to that they even mentioned that for Finance people the job market in Europe is not that great and there is a greater possibility that Fin people might have to go back to their own country or try somewhere else(which is again equally difficult if HEC is not known in those places compared to other colleges). Hence a bit skeptical.

What about other European Banks offices in India or other places do they give equal value to HEC grads as they do in Europe ? (Any thoughts)
I was told by an alumna that job market for finance is better than other industries as there are a lot of companies, such as BNP, AXA and Société Générale, visiting the campus. She also mentioned that it really helps if you can speak French as it opens up a lot of opportunities in French companies.
Plus the school has strong tie ups with finance firms. If you check LinkedIn there are a lot of alumni present accross the best firms in the industry. So I am hoping that the scenario is not that bad.
You can apply to European firms in India but then I've heard that since you'll be earning in INR it'll be difficult to pay off your loan(in case you plan to take one).

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Re: HEC Paris September 2014 intake: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2014, 04:50
Quote:
I was told by an alumna that job market for finance is better than other industries as there are a lot of companies, such as BNP, AXA and Société Générale, visiting the campus. She also mentioned that it really helps if you can speak French as it opens up a lot of opportunities in French companies.
Plus the school has strong tie ups with finance firms. If you check LinkedIn there are a lot of alumni present accross the best firms in the industry. So I am hoping that the scenario is not that bad.
You can apply to European firms in India but then I've heard that since you'll be earning in INR it'll be difficult to pay off your loan(in case you plan to take one).

Thats some good news for my ears:).. Completely agree with the loan argument.. I am hopeful of Europe opportunities but evaluating India or other places as plan B just to be safe.. thanks for all the inputs Zat... really helpful.. Cheers..
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: HEC Paris September 2014 intake: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2014, 07:00
This post received
KUDOS
FROM HEC Paris Admissions Blog: Cultivating Leadership: Cultural Weeks at HEC Paris MBA
Cultural Weeks are undoubtedly a highlight of the MBA calendar at HEC Paris. Providing the perfect opportunity to energize, socialize and above all organize, the cultural weeks are student-led and always prove a hit amongst students and MBA staff alike. They hold a lot of academic credit too; not only are they a lot of fun, but they also constitute a key leadership experience for our students as they lead and co-ordinate their teams to put on a week-long show for all to see.

With no less than 3 different cultural weeks taking place within the last month alone, it is safe to say that recently our schedule has been rather full. First up was a week celebrating all things Japanese, 23rd-24th January. Next was the Chinese Cultural Week – scheduled to coincide with Chinese New Year during the first week of February – followed by Latin American Week last week

Japanese Cultural Week, 23rd-24th January

It’s the country that brought us Hello Kitty, Pokémon and salmon skin rolls. But that is not all that Japan is known for. The program of events for Japanese Cultural Week was designed to give attendees a glimpse into real Japanese culture, with workshops on calligraphy and origami, with an evening spent playing traditional Japanese games.

The Fashion Show is a traditional and much-anticipated part of any Cultural Week, for it both maximizes student participation and cultural immersion. The Japanese fashion show was no different, with students from all cultures donning traditional Japanese costume and strutting their stuff in front of their peers. With beautiful embroidery, rich colors and a sumo suit on show, the catwalk proved a fine visual representation of Japanese style; testament to why Japanese fashion is so iconic, revered and copied around the world (minus maybe the sumo suit).

Finally, no overview of a Cultural Week would be complete without mentioning the food. Attendees of the evening event were able to enjoy a meal of sushi, maki and sashimi: delicious.

ありがとうございます (thank you!) to the Organizing Committee for Japan week: Hitoshi Nakamura, Katrina Senn, Ai Hosokawa, Takuya Akaishi, Takeaki Shindo.

Chinese Cultural Week, 5th-6th February

恭禧發財! Or rather, Happy New Year everybody! Chinese New Year in 2014 fell on the 31st January, and in order to celebrate and bring in the Year of the Horse in style at HEC Paris, we had two evenings of cultural celebration in the MBA Building.

The first of these evenings hosted a variety of activities on campus, including a tai-chi demonstration, a unique dumpling-making workshop and a traditional tea-making ceremony. The evening was rounded off with a delicious meal and a spectacular Dancing Lion performance, leaving the audience speechless. Another interesting aspect of the event was the “selfie” competition where students took photos of themselves enjoying the celebrations in a bid to win prizes, creating a buzz on Social Media and encouraging everyone to get involved.

The second evening saw the return of the fashion show, as students dressed up and striked a pose in traditional Chinese attire; think lots of silk, red lipstick and oil-paper umbrellas. The fashion show was perfectly complemented by a Talent Show which welcomed MBA students and non-MBA students alike, as they sang, danced and performed their way into the eager crowd’s hearts.

谢 谢 你 的 帮 助(thank you!) to the Organizing Committee for China week: Yange Wang, Hua-Jung Chang, Wenchao Cai, Dandan Su, Liqian Chen, Ma Peiyi.

Latin America Cultural Week, 10th-13th February

The cherry on top of the cake was the week celebrating all things Latin American, last week at HEC Paris MBA. This week was full of vibrancy and energy as the organizing team did a great job of laying out a program of events that served to entertain and educate.

The week began – as many do in the MBA – in the Piano Bar, the student-run bar within the Expansiel residence on campus. With a live Forró band and samba dancing, the evening ensured that interest was piqued and feet were moving! The week continued on Wednesday as a more sedate affair, with a screening of the 2009 Oscar award winner for Best Foreign Language, El Secreto de sus Ojos (The Secret in their Eyes), directed by the Argentinian director Juan José Campanella.

Energy levels were back up on Thursday evening as Latin America week reached its climax with a meal, raffle and trivia quiz. Students were able to show off their knowledge of Latin America with topics ranging from football to famous figures and landmarks. The atmosphere was one of joviality and good humor, an atmosphere heightened by the arrival of a Mariachi band, performing Bolero music with songs such as El Rey providing the perfect accompaniment to dinner. Even the raffle was a lively affair, with a tense rock-paper-scissors stand-off conducted to award the final prize.

The evening was rounded off with another gathering in the Piano Bar with Latin music, Salsa lessons and even a piñata providing a grand send-off for this Cultural Week. The evening doubled up as a end-of-term celebration for some MBA students also, as they prepared for their winter break to start the very next day.

Muchas gracias (thank you!) to the Organizing Committee for Latin American week: Claudia Lazo Visbal, Victor Garibay, Alejandra Galindo, Yessica Trejo, Gladis Trejo, Hector Argente, Henrique Salles, Lucas Bucater, Yolima Cazares, Marcus Vilcinski, Ornella Afonso, Paola Sanchez, Martín Navarrette, Fabrice Clerc, Felipe Natal, Juan José Lizana, Armando Halfeld.

We’d also like to thank everyone who came to these Cultural Week; your participation and enthusiasm helped make these events so great! Also, thanks go to our MBA Student Services for working so closely with the Organizing Committees to help make these weeks a reality.

Next on the Cultural Week calendar: North America week, coming in March.
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors
Intern
Intern
Schools: HEC '17 (A)

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: HEC Paris September 2014 intake: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2014, 12:55
Anyone waiting the decision of March 7th? I did my interviews last week and the waiting is really hard!!

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Re: HEC Paris September 2014 intake: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2014, 13:43
vinceeid wrote:
Anyone waiting the decision of March 7th? I did my interviews last week and the waiting is really hard!!

Same here.. wait is killing me... how was ur interview... where are u from (if you don't mind me asking)
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 770 Q V0

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 9

Re: HEC Paris September 2014 intake: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2014, 16:51
March 7th for me as well. Though I kind of messed up one of my interviews so wont keep my hope up :(

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
INSEAD Thread Master
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: Q0 V0
GPA: 3.6
WE: Brand Management (Retail)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 99

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: HEC Paris September 2014 intake: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2014, 21:12
Anyone here applying for Jan 2015 intake batch. How are you preparing yourself since you have sometime in hand.

Cheers
Farhan

http://gmatfarhan.blogspot.in

HEC Thread Master
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools: HEC '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
WE: Underwriter (Insurance)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 24

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: HEC Paris September 2014 intake: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2014, 21:35
farhanc85 wrote:
Anyone here applying for Jan 2015 intake batch. How are you preparing yourself since you have sometime in hand.
Hi farhanc85!
I believe this thread will be more useful for you:
hec-paris-class-of-2015-jan-intake-calling-all-applicants-145226.html

INSEAD Thread Master
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: Q0 V0
GPA: 3.6
WE: Brand Management (Retail)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 99

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: HEC Paris September 2014 intake: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2014, 22:21
zat wrote:
farhanc85 wrote:
Hi farhanc85!
I believe this thread will be more useful for you:
hec-paris-class-of-2015-jan-intake-calling-all-applicants-145226.html

Hi Zat,

Actually although name of the thread is Jan 2015 Intake, the discussion started over there is for people graduating in 2015, not for me :)

Thanks anyways

Cheers
Farhan

http://gmatfarhan.blogspot.in

Intern
Intern

Re: HEC Paris September 2014 intake: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2014, 04:39
maitraab wrote:
vinceeid wrote:

Same here.. wait is killing me... how was ur interview... where are u from (if you don't mind me asking)

The first one wasn't that good but the second was perfect.
I am from Lebanon, and you?

Good luck! Hope Friday will be a day to remember for all of us :)
Intern
Intern

Re: HEC Paris September 2014 intake: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2014, 04:42
Desley1 wrote:
March 7th for me as well. Though I kind of messed up one of my interviews so wont keep my hope up :(

Hi Desley,

As I just said to maitraab, I think my situation is similar to yours. I messed up in one interview and excelled in the other.

Good luck!
Manager
Manager

Re: HEC Paris September 2014 intake: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2014, 00:12
vinceeid wrote:
Desley1 wrote:

Hi Desley,

As I just said to maitraab, I think my situation is similar to yours. I messed up in one interview and excelled in the other.

Good luck!

Good luck to you too. I talked to a few other candidates and apparently it's very common to have 1 bad + 1 good interview. I sure hope HEC AdCom is not doing this on purpose *fingercross*.
Intern
Intern
Schools: HEC '17, ISB '15 (D)
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: HEC Paris September 2014 intake: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2014, 02:42
Hi Guys,

Me too waiting for the decision on March 7th, ive met other HEC applicants and read about some others online, 1Good + 1 Bad interview is a general observation also people who said their interviews were pathetic have made it into the class (;))

Regarding the placement situation one of my interviewer(HEC class of 2013, lucky me :D) kind of told me to be aware of the situation as france had a 29% unemployment in 2013 , so we need to be very specific in choosing our future industry. Consulting needs language proficiency so people looking for a consulting career its advantageous to have a diverse linguistic skill set

All the best to everybody hope we all make it and party in France :-D ,
Intern
Intern

Re: HEC Paris September 2014 intake: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2014, 03:51
naren87 wrote:
Hi Guys,

Me too waiting for the decision on March 7th, ive met other HEC applicants and read about some others online, 1Good + 1 Bad interview is a general observation also people who said their interviews were pathetic have made it into the class (;))

Regarding the placement situation one of my interviewer(HEC class of 2013, lucky me :D) kind of told me to be aware of the situation as france had a 29% unemployment in 2013 , so we need to be very specific in choosing our future industry. Consulting needs language proficiency so people looking for a consulting career its advantageous to have a diverse linguistic skill set

All the best to everybody hope we all make it and party in France :-D ,

Hehehe in case we get admitted the party is on me :P
Manager
Manager

Re: HEC Paris September 2014 intake: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2014, 01:46
Guys.. silly question here but will really appreciate if anyone can help. I'm just wondering if the result will be released on 7 Mar itself or we'll know on 8 Mar? I'm trying to time some of my other commitments :(

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 1

Re: HEC Paris September 2014 intake: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2014, 01:55
This post received
KUDOS
Desley1 wrote:
Guys.. silly question here but will really appreciate if anyone can help. I'm just wondering if the result will be released on 7 Mar itself or we'll know on 8 Mar? I'm trying to time some of my other commitments :(

We are supposed to know on 7 Mar.
I guess the decision will be taken on 6 Mar when the jury meets.
Where else did you apply? (if you dont mind asking)
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Learning from the Best: CEO Speaker Series [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2014, 05:00
FROM HEC Paris Admissions Blog: Learning from the Best: CEO Speaker Series
“We do not learn from experience…we learn from reflecting on experience.” – John Dewey

They say that learning from experience is one of the best ways to learn. They also say that learning from the mistakes of others is an invaluable way to avoid making the same mistakes yourself. They are very wise.

Indeed, it is this ethos that is at the very heart of the theory behind the celebrated CEO Speaker Series at HEC Paris MBA. This series, organized by the General Management & Leadership Club, brings top CEOs and Business Leaders to campus for an evening of intimate discussion with our students. These guest speakers open up and talk about their past experiences in business and offer invaluable advice to the leaders of tomorrow, as well as answer any specific questions our students may have.

Recent CEO Speakers have included Virginie Calmels, chairman of Disneyland Paris Supervisory Board and ex-CEO of Endemol and Jean Hornain, CEO of Le Parisien-aujourd’hui en France, as well as Fabrice Brégier, CEO of Airbus and Jean-Yves Fillion, CEO of BNP Paribas North America.

Engaging with these accomplished Business Leaders constitutes a golden opportunity for our students to engage in conversation with innovative and illustrious figures, learning from their experiences (and sometimes even their failures!) and hearing their secrets for success. For whilst we believe in “learning by doing,” we also realize the importance of reflection and learning by example.

But don’t just take our word for it; both Jean-Yves Fillion and Fabrice Brégier took time out from their visit to HEC Paris to talk about their thoughts on the CEO Speaker Series.

[youtube2]p>
Jean-[/youtube2]

Fabrice Brégier is the President and Chief Executive Officer of Airbus. He started his career in 1983 as a test engineer at Creys-Malville nuclear power station, becoming sales manager at Pechiney (Japan) in 1984. In 1986 he joined the DRIRE Alsace (Ministry of Industry) and was then appointed Director of economic and financial affairs with the Ministry of Agriculture in 1989, serving under several French ministers. Brégier joined Airbus in 2006 as Airbus Chief Operating Officer. He graduated from Ecole Polytechnique in 1980 and Ecole des Mines previously.

Both Jean Hornain and Jean-Yves Fillion are Alumni of the HEC Paris MBA program. To read about the careers of other Alumni post-MBA, visit our Alumni Profiles here.
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors
Intern
Intern
Schools: HEC '17, ISB '15 (D)
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: HEC Paris September 2014 intake: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2014, 05:05
vinceeid wrote:
Desley1 wrote:

One of my friends received on the night before decision date (IST) ...so im guessing the decision will reach before 7th night
Manager
Manager

Re: HEC Paris September 2014 intake: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2014, 18:01
naren87 wrote:
vinceeid wrote:
Desley1 wrote:

One of my friends received on the night before decision date (IST) ...so im guessing the decision will reach before 7th night

Thanks guys. This helps. All that left is to wait ^_^
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [1] , given: 9

Re: HEC Paris September 2014 intake: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2014, 18:03
This post received
KUDOS
vinceeid wrote:
Desley1 wrote:

Thanks. At this point it's more like i'm trying to see if i have any other options :). I was thinking of applying to Judge, not exactly ideal given the cost and not to mention, i don't know anyone there, but if push come to shove.... How about you?
Re: HEC Paris September 2014 intake: Calling all applicants!   [#permalink] 04 Mar 2014, 18:03