Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 07:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

HEC Paris MBA - Who knows/is interested about it? - FAQs

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2007, 06:11
I think HEC Paris is associated with NYU Stern.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2007, 10:57
Yes... Absolutly.

It's actually a double degree with NYU :). It's aslo the case with some other B-Schools.

http://www.mba.hec.edu/mba/site/academics/international_partners/double_degree_program/double_degree_program.130.html
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2007, 13:20
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2007, 01:15
Hi Fig,

I was on HEC's website but there is not much info about class profiles etc.
Since you're becoming an HEC admission expert, may be you know what the average age at HEC is? I fear the classes are much younger than me(32).
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2007, 01:50
Hi Kalfurt,

The age average is 29 > 30 :)... I think that frenchman are among the oldest in the HEC MBA ;)

So.... Are u interested to apply? :)... It could be nice to be there with u ;)
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2007, 02:13
Hummmm, I'm considering it. As you know, I just applied to insead, will probably apply to IMD. These two schools are pretty tough and albeit my profile might be interesting, I was very mediocre at university and have an average GMAT. My career is much more convoluted than straight, which can scare adcoms looking for clear career goals and work exp.

That's why I'm considering other schools!!
I'll will ask for advices next month when I'll get a feedback from insead(+/-)! :)
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2007, 08:40
karlfurt wrote:
Hummmm, I'm considering it. As you know, I just applied to insead, will probably apply to IMD. These two schools are pretty tough and albeit my profile might be interesting, I was very mediocre at university and have an average GMAT. My career is much more convoluted than straight, which can scare adcoms looking for clear career goals and work exp.

That's why I'm considering other schools!!
I'll will ask for advices next month when I'll get a feedback from insead(+/-)! :)

Hi, Karlfurt,

let us know what the result is. I am interested to know, although I am not applying it now. It is reserved for the future. :-D And also, we can :beer if you come to Singapore campus for a while. :-D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2007, 21:00
Hi Fig,

Hope you got into HEC. I am interested abt the job market for HEC graduates in US.

Any thoughts..
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2007, 23:59
toDoorNot wrote:
Hi Fig,

Hope you got into HEC. I am interested abt the job market for HEC graduates in US.

Any thoughts..

There are almuni in the US but I think that the job market is less strong than in Europe or Asia for HEC MBA graduates. This is probably due to all US prestigious B schools and thus the presence of a good number of MBA graduates already there. I heard that it's a bit of same problem that every european b school has in the US job market, including INSEAD.

Also, HEC is devoting a lot energy and time to expand its opportunities, and so to be more and more famous, in the US. That will bring its positive results, I'm convinced of it :)

I think one way to tackle this is perhaps to consider making a double degree with NYU or other US B schools in partnership with HEC.

I will be in HEC in less than 3 weeks now :)... Thanks for your words :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2007, 13:37
Fig wrote:
toDoorNot wrote:
Hi Fig,

Any thoughts..

There are almuni in the US but I think that the job market is less strong than in Europe or Asia for HEC MBA graduates. This is probably due to all US prestigious B schools and thus the presence of a good number of MBA graduates already there. I heard that it's a bit of same problem that every european b school has in the US job market, including INSEAD.

Also, HEC is devoting a lot energy and time to expand its opportunities, and so to be more and more famous, in the US. That will bring its positive results, I'm convinced of it :)

I think one way to tackle this is perhaps to consider making a double degree with NYU or other US B schools in partnership with HEC.

I will be in HEC in less than 3 weeks now :)... Thanks for your words :)

Glad to know tht u r heading towards Paris.. would love to hear abt your experiences.. maybe you can put in a good word abt me..

Among other thoughts, i have checked their website, but cant find any concrete info about their internships. I am especially concerned as i want to come back to the American market..and intership would be a good way to bond with the company.(dont ask me why HEC Paris if interested in American Market. i want to get a truely global exp)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: HEC Paris MBA - Who knows/is interested about it? - FAQs [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2008, 19:01
I got an interview invite to HEC. Appreciate if anyone can share their experiences and tips for the same. The presentation is definitely the challenge for me. Any ideas wht worked earlier.
Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: HEC Paris MBA - Who knows/is interested about it? - FAQs [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2008, 19:53
Pasting this info from another board from a student who finished this year.

The synopsis is :- school is great, French govt. buearacracy is terrible if you are not an EU citizen.

Quote:
I just learned that it will take 2 months to process my Carte de Sejour. I even have to take a medical exam to get it. I'm a student here for a year-and-a-half, not applying for citizenship!!

Further, during those 2 months, I cannot travel outside of France.

Why are they so god damn bureaucratic?!?!
Apparently it will "only" take 2 months because the university is making the application for us. If we did it ourselves, it would take 3 months.

Carte de Sejour costs 55 Euros
Carte de Sejour takes 2 months
One cannot travel without the Carte de Sejour
Medical exam required for CS
Carte de Sejour must be renewed (and paid for)

The list of docs necessary for the Carte de Sejour:
Birth Certificate
Passport with valid visa
Proof of employment (or school)
Proof of residence
Proof of income
Proof of insurance
Check for 55 Euros
Medical exam certificate

Quote:
I'm suffering from I'm-pissed-off syndrome because I just received my temporary notice informing me that my mandatory medical exam is scheduled for November 30th after which I will receive my carte de sejour and though I can leave the country, I would be unable to return! (Her words exactly, translated into English)

Anyhow, I was told I would most likely have my carte de sejour by Xmas.
I arrived in this country on August 10th.

My 3-month student visa expired today.

Can someone explain to me how any country could have such a system? Why don't they issue 6-month visas if they know that students' visas will expire long before their carte de sejour is issued? Or why don't they give 1-year or 2-year visas for students like in other countries? Why can't they give me a slip that says I am being processed for my carte de sejour that would allow me to travel overseas?

Quote:
I had another merde moment yesterday when trying to take the train. The ticket booth in small stations close at 4pm or so here and they block off the ticket machine that accepts only coins and French bank cards. There is one machine outside that only accepts a Moneo card and coins, nothing else. Moneo cards are rechargable cards (that you actually have to pay a transaction fee when recharging and can only be recharged at special machines at banks; they also can only be recharged by French bank cards ) and unlike the Japanese Suica cards, cannot be used to board trains; they have to be charged so that you can use them to buy tickets and drinks at vending machines.

Unless you have the right ticket with the right amount, there is no getting on the train for you.

I really am amazed at France's ability to make such redundant stupid systems.

Luckily for me, one of my classmates showed up and happened to have an extra ticket on him (you can buy books of 10 tickets; now I understand why!) so all ended well.

Quote:
Well the French bureaucracy pretty much squashed my chances of getting an internship in Tokyo. What can one do? I can't even travel to London.

Quote:
So my 1-year foreigner card is nearing its expiration date and I called my local city office to tell them I need to renew it. They told me to come in person with my card and passport.

I tell my boss I will be a bit late for work due to this paperwork and she says, "Oh that! OK, I won't expect you until way after lunch break." Seems like she knew something about this, um, system.

I arrive at 9:15am to retrieve my number which tells me, "Bonjour! You have 56 people in front of you. Please wait patiently."

I sit down with a book in hand and after 2-and-a-half hours, my number is called and I go to the reception. I show her my papers and explain what I need. She tells me, "Okay, I got an appointment for you on January 2nd."

At this, I think, "Wow, I didn't realize my French has gotten that bad; how could I have heard 'january'?" so I ask again. She repeats, "January 2nd" but adds "2008" for emphasis this time.

"But, we are in SEPTEMBER and my current card expires in OCTOBER. How can I not be able to even apply for a renewal until JANUARY?!?!?"

"I am sorry but we are fully booked until then. So please come back, January 2nd with all these papers" she says as she gives me a full list of documents that I had with me. In my handbag.

I stalked out of there thinking "J'haie la France!!!"

First off, they make you come in person to make an appointment which ends up being 4 months away, leaving you stuck in the Schengen Zone for 3 months.

My current work contract ends in mid-January.

It will take 4-6 weeks or longer after I go in to apply, to get my new card.

So, I will be long gone by the time the card is issued.

And I have already been here for a year and have been going to the same school. All I need is to renew a simple card which will have the exact same information with new dates.

Quote:
I learned today that for a foreigner to change his or her registration with the local authorities one must make an appointment via a website and after about 2 weeks you receive notice informing you of an appointment about a month later when you can go in and inform them of your address change.

Is it just me or is this really stupid and a huge waste of time?

Quote:
More on the incredible French immigration system.

I spoke to HR about my situation and they got concerned that my visa would expire 2-and-a-half months before I even apply for a renewal and that I was given no official document to prove that I had gone in to renew a month before it expired. Meaning, if I were ever stopped anywhere, I could be caught as an illegal.

Such a thought had never occured to me but I thought better safe than sorry and went back to the city hall.

After another 2-hour wait, I approach the counter and explain as politely as I could, my situation and the hag cuts me off after 15 seconds, saying in a rude way, "Are you gonna keep talking or can I say something." I said, "Well, if you understand the situation..." as she cuts me off and says, "Here, call this number."

"Call this number for what?"
"To ask for a letter saying you did make an appointment."
"But I came last week to make the appointment; sure they should have given it to me then? Can you give it to me now since I am here right now?"
"No. You have to call this number."
"There is no other paper you can give me to prove that I have made the appointment?"
"No."
"If I don't have the paper, would it be a problem?"
"Yes, you would be here illegally."

They basically set me up to overstay my visa though I had done everything correctly and had gone in in time. They said I needed to have this paper but they didn't give it to me when I came to make the appointment. And they ask that I phone to ask for it. (I bet when I call, they'll tell me I have to go and pick it up...) This, from the office that refused to let me phone to make an appointment to renew my visa!

Quote:
Well, today, I called the "service number for foreigners" to get the SAME recorded messages asking me to call "Tuesday through Thursdays, mornings." Um, it's Tuesday...

Called the general service number to be told, "Oh, for that, you must come to the city office in person with your passport!"

I nearly burst out laughing this time. I guess I have gotten used to it after all...
After insisting that I did go, twice, and that I was told to call the number, she put me through to her boss.

He told me the same thing.
Then, he told me that I don't need any document, that it's perfectly OK to be with an expired foreigner card for up to 3 months as long as I stay in the Schengen Zone.

Then, he said that the only entity that can request such a document is the employer and that the only reason such a document would be issued is if absolutely necessary for a business trip. (When you least expect it, they turn capitalist on you...)

I talked about this to my colleagues who all felt sorry for me. One of them said that she also renewed her visa (as a fulltime expat employee) recently but they can't give her a new one until whenever, and she is also stuck in the country until January. Another employee has been here for a few years now but every year, she needs to renew in October (like me) but doesn't get it until around February so she has her visa for all of 7 months until she has to apply for renwal again, and be stuck in the country for 4-5 months of the year
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: HEC Paris MBA - Who knows/is interested about it? - FAQs [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2008, 23:51
togafoot wrote:
Pasting this info from another board from a student who finished this year.

The synopsis is :- school is great, French govt. buearacracy is terrible if you are not an EU citizen.

There is a reason they asphalted under all those paving stones... somebody wrote a play about these difficulties, I think it was called "No Exit." However, I am sure the French have no patent on bureaucratic madness. I can give you examples from my dealings with the social security administration and the Cal DMV that are equally bizarre. (albeit without the threat of deportation / unemployment) What I find shocking / distressing is that the student is left to fend with the problem on their own. Given the large percentage of extra-national students that attend HEC, It stands to reason that the admissions & placement functions must be aware of the situation, and ought to have procedures and personnel in place to aid students in dealing with these problems.

Help!
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: HEC Paris MBA - Who knows/is interested about it? - FAQs [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2008, 00:42
helpslip wrote:

Given the large percentage of extra-national students that attend HEC, It stands to reason that the admissions & placement functions must be aware of the situation, and ought to have procedures and personnel in place to aid students in dealing with these problems.

Help!

HEC has only really turned international in the past 5-10 years. Before that the main body of students were French.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: HEC Paris MBA - Who knows/is interested about it? - FAQs [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2008, 09:03
Does anybody know why HEC ranks so poorly in the 'employed at three months' category (FT & EIU)?
How are career perspectives outside of France?
Any thoughts?

cheers,
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: HEC Paris MBA - Who knows/is interested about it? - FAQs [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2008, 20:45
catgmat wrote:
Does anybody know why HEC ranks so poorly in the 'employed at three months' category (FT & EIU)?
How are career perspectives outside of France?
Any thoughts?

cheers,

Not sure, but my guess would be due to French bureacracy making it difficult for non-EU citizens to get jobs.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: St Gallen, Cambridge, HEC Montreal

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: HEC Paris MBA - Who knows/is interested about it? - FAQs [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2009, 15:37
I am bringing thi up, following the discussion with catgmat on the HEC Montreal thread.

catgmat wrote:
Hi Lumone,

The GMAT average just climed from 675 to 680 for the January'09 intake and acceptance ratio is 1:5. I am really impressed by HEC Paris curriculum and professors. However, the financial crisis has hit European schools hard and internship / job hunt is more difficult than maybe one year before. The hunt is easier if you are fluent in French to find something in Paris.

Since HEC Paris encourages career changers and teaches Finance, Strategy, Marketing, Innovation and Technology, we have diverse recruiters coming to campus (123 companies just visited for Carrefour Fair). This means that you do no only have Consulting or Finance companies visiting.

The campus is very nice, but honestly a little bit boring. It takes you 45 minutes to go to Paris by RER train which is a little bit annoying... However I am going to move to Paris in sping....

Also note that HEC Paris has the opportunity to do an Double Degree with LSE, NYU, MIT and NUS. Last year approx. 3 candidates got into NYU, the DD with MIT is new so I don't know the yield yet...

Lastly the FT ranking was quite disappointing for all of us since we ranked 18th for two consecutive years and went down last week to 29th. I am sure that we are going up again, but it depends on economy...

Let me know if you have any specific questions. I could also put you in touch with someone of HEC staff or students...

Cheers,

Catgmat
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: St Gallen, Cambridge, HEC Montreal

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: HEC Paris MBA - Who knows/is interested about it? - FAQs [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2009, 16:02
I have the 2007 brochure in front of me. The gmat average was 660. And I know that it was 630 a few years before that.

:arrow: Recruiting
HEC's main programme is the traditional "grandes ecoles" programme. Do many companies especially come for the MBA? Please tell me what you really think, not the school's official answer. ;)

:arrow: Campus
I visited the campus. It's was probably built in the 70's and the buildings lack charm, but overall decent. As you said, probably boring in the middle of the countryside, but better there than right in Paris city centre. To study, I like quiet places. How are the sport facilities btw? Is there a decent gym and a swimming pool? I'm a sport freak.

:arrow: Exchanges
One of HEC's main strengths as they not only offer double degrees as you mentioned, but also 4 month exchange with many B-schools around the world (including exchange options with most Ultra Elite/Elite programmes. No Harvard/Stanford, but Wharton, Columbia, Chicago, Berkeley, LBS, etc). BTW, do the exchanges (I mean exchanges, not DD) still take place at the end of the curriculum?

:arrow: January vs September start
Are the two intakes equally competitive? Are there any restrictions on internships/electives/exchange possibilities if you choose the January intake?

:arrow: Rankings
We all know that these rankings are a joke. HEC Paris may not be as strong as Insead or UE B-schools, but certainly matches Elites or Oxbridge, Esade/IE, RSM in Europe. That's all I care about. :) So, my personal ranking would rate HEC Paris as around top 5 in Europe (behind LBS, Insead, and IMD) and top 15-20 in the world.

I thought of applying there, then not applying, but as it is now, it's back as an option. I'll know more in March.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: HEC Paris MBA - Who knows/is interested about it? - FAQs [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2009, 12:58
As I said, GMAT average for September'08 was 675 and the January'09 is higher. I am gonna get the official stats for you...
Of the 123 companies about half had been interested in MBAs (200 students) the rest is mainly interested in the "fresh blood" (1,900 grand ecole students). However, company recruitment events are also held during the year in our MBA building.

The campus is the biggest in Europe and can be compared to those in the US. The residential building is from 70s, the MBA building from the 90s. However, HEC builds a new MBA and residential building by 2011, since the program is growing fast.

http://www.worldarchitecturenews.com/in ... d_id=10053

The campus is huge and contains tennis courts, football and rugby fields and a golf course. The gym and basketball court are currently under construction to be ready until MBAT.

HEC's exchanges include 4-month exchange to
>Tuck, Babson, Chapel Hill, Columbia, Cornell, Darden, Duke, Emory, Fletcher, Kelley, MIT Sloan, McGill, Kellogg, Schulich, NYU Stern, Thunderbird, University of British Columbia, UCLA, Berkeley, University of California (Davis), Ross, University of Minnesota, University of Southern California, University of Texas, Wharton
>Fundaçao Getulio Vargas, ITESM / Monterrey, Pontificia Universidad Catolica de Chile, Universidad Torcuato Di Tella, IPADE
>ESADE, IESE, London Business School (YEAH!), Manchester, RSM, SDA Bocconi, Saint Gallen, Warwick
>CEIBS, Shanghai, Tsinghua University, HKUST, NUS, Hitotsubashi, Fudan, Keio, Indian School of Business, CUHK
>AGSM, Melbourne, Witswatesrand University

Yes, the exchange is during the last 4 month of the programme, i.e Sept-December and Jan-April

September intake is 150 students and you have a bilingual section and January is only 50 students. In my opinion the professors are better in the Sept intake...
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: HEC Paris MBA - Who knows/is interested about it? - FAQs [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2009, 01:33
catgmat wrote:
As I said, GMAT average for September'08 was 675 and the January'09 is higher. I am gonna get the official stats for you...
Of the 123 companies about half had been interested in MBAs (200 students) the rest is mainly interested in the "fresh blood" (1,900 grand ecole students). However, company recruitment events are also held during the year in our MBA building.

The campus is the biggest in Europe and can be compared to those in the US. The residential building is from 70s, the MBA building from the 90s. However, HEC builds a new MBA and residential building by 2011, since the program is growing fast.

http://www.worldarchitecturenews.com/in ... d_id=10053

The campus is huge and contains tennis courts, football and rugby fields and a golf course. The gym and basketball court are currently under construction to be ready until MBAT.

HEC's exchanges include 4-month exchange to
>Tuck, Babson, Chapel Hill, Columbia, Cornell, Darden, Duke, Emory, Fletcher, Kelley, MIT Sloan, McGill, Kellogg, Schulich, NYU Stern, Thunderbird, University of British Columbia, UCLA, Berkeley, University of California (Davis), Ross, University of Minnesota, University of Southern California, University of Texas, Wharton
>Fundaçao Getulio Vargas, ITESM / Monterrey, Pontificia Universidad Catolica de Chile, Universidad Torcuato Di Tella, IPADE
>ESADE, IESE, London Business School (YEAH!), Manchester, RSM, SDA Bocconi, Saint Gallen, Warwick
>CEIBS, Shanghai, Tsinghua University, HKUST, NUS, Hitotsubashi, Fudan, Keio, Indian School of Business, CUHK
>AGSM, Melbourne, Witswatesrand University

Yes, the exchange is during the last 4 month of the programme, i.e Sept-December and Jan-April

September intake is 150 students and you have a bilingual section and January is only 50 students. In my opinion the professors are better in the Sept intake...

Hi, so u are one of us ;)

I'm still on campus... Why not meeting us one day :) (Even if it might happened already without knowing who is who on GMATClub ;))

My company website : WHY Consultant

Re: HEC Paris MBA - Who knows/is interested about it? - FAQs   [#permalink] 08 Feb 2009, 01:33