Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 22:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

HEC Paris - Sep 2010 intake

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

HEC Paris - Sep 2010 intake [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2009, 00:23
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi everyone,

am totally new here and would like to talk to those who have an experience with HEC Paris. Am now 28 y.o., Russian, have about 6 years of working experience, but have never passed neither GMAT nor TOEFL. Have about a year ahead of me to pass those tests and than am willing to apply to HEC Paris for Sep' 2010 intake. Anyone here with similar plans? Anyone who could advise anything useful? Am considering ESSEC as a second option; generally would like to find job in France or in a French company in Russia afterwards.

Will be grateful for all comments and tips.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: HEC Paris - Sep 2010 intake [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2009, 04:48
This post received
KUDOS
Hi nyinbxl,

4 yrs WE by 24/25 is good indeed.

for my part, i Think im still struggling with essay 1. although standard, the three separate questions have to be answered without losing the personal side of your story.

Q 2to 5 are really creative.good chance , i guess, to differentiate yourself from the rest.

IMO, storytelling will matter more than the story.
You can pick 4 different influential moments from your life and give the entire application a versatile feel.

that's what i did!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: HEC Paris

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 0

Re: HEC Paris - Sep 2010 intake [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2010, 13:01
This post received
KUDOS
Jsonali,

I don't think I can provide with you with exact numbers per "category" of student. The reason being, I simply don't know everyone's citizenship, background, or actual job responsibility. Therefore, just because someone appears to be of Indian ethnicity, I can't automatically qualify him or her as Indian IT. Perhaps they are actually American/Canadian/British. Maybe they work for an IT company in a completely non-IT-related capacity.

I would also urge you not to use that categorical bucket to limit your own chances of acceptance. Rather than think you are competing against a limited "quota," try to find ways to distinguish yourself as an exemplary candidate. Maybe your experiences are commonplace. Write about them in a way that isn't.

I didn't get into LBS because the quota of "my type" (scientist/biotech/female) was filled. It was simply that my essays weren't well-written and I did not choose my recommenders carefully. I put 200% more effort into the preparation of my HEC application.

Men want to run the world, women want to run Louis Vuitton.
Part of the reason I'm going to HEC Paris?

http://www.jetsettoday.com

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Re: HEC Paris - Sep 2010 intake [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2010, 09:30
This post received
KUDOS
Just a note to all prospective applicants:

HEC has recently raised its tuition from 42,104 Euros to 45,106 Euros. This was not stated clearly to those who received admissions in 2009, and current applicants should budget accordingly.

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: LBS, Oxford, Cambridge, HEC

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 1

Re: HEC Paris - Sep 2010 intake [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2010, 01:31
This post received
KUDOS
jsonali wrote:
I had a small question - anyone who has been selected for interview can answer. I am finding the word limits really tight. Can anyone shed more light on how strict we should be about word limits? I guessed the rule of 10% applies in most cases but HEC limits at 250 are difficult and wanted to know if i am in trouble exceeding them by more than 10%.

Jsonali, I can say that I did not go over the limits. And if you do, I think the rule of thumb would be more like 5% and not 10%. The logic behind not going over -- which you hear from admissions books, consultants and forums -- is that the word limit is a challenge to be met. If you do go over the limit, particularly if you go significantly over, you've effectively failed to meet that challenge. In the end, I think that the word limit represents a rule, not a suggestion.

What helped me on a 250-word essay was to get out everything I wanted to say, even if that took 400 words. Then, I looked for a core message and began taking out all words and thoughts that didn't add (significant) value to this message. I had to go over the essay several times to do this, but in the end it always worked. In a bind, keep in mind that contractions count as one word, so 'I'm' is one word, while 'I am' would obviously be two. It seems like a trivial thing, but if you're at 253 words, change a few instances of 'I am', 'I would' and others to a contraction and you've met HEC's (or any other program's) word limit challenge!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: INSEAD- WL, IE - Apr 2011

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 1

Re: HEC Paris - Sep 2010 intake [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2010, 01:51
This post received
KUDOS
Congratulatations to all who got through! I have applied for R4 Sep 10 intake and submitted the application on 8th March.
I've received an online confirmation with an ID. However, I want to know if the AdCom also sends a notification that all supporting documents have also been received?
Would appreciate if someone can provide an answer.

Cheers,
SH
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Re: HEC Paris - Sep 2010 intake [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2010, 18:33
This post received
KUDOS
Congrats to the new admits! I'm really enjoying seeing the class fill up on LinkedIn :-D

We have so much diversity in background, experience, and hobbies!

Trentohawk,

I would answer the question as more of your long-term career goal. Since there is a separate essay on short-term goals, this is an opportunity for you to address your extended career vision. For example, immediately after your MBA, you may want to take on a more senior or mid-level role to your previous position if you are remaining in the same industry. If you are aiming to change industries, you may want to focus on a more reasonable mid-level position. However, your long-term career goals could be vice president or C-level executive in whatever industry you pursue, after a suitable amount of work. So for example: If you are in high-tech and staying there, you might have your immediate post-MBA goal be a manager or associate director position (assuming you were a senior engineer of some sort before). Your longer term goal could be to be head of your sector in your country or your functional group. Ideally, your professional objective is what you are aiming for in the apex of your career. Anyway, this is just one example, but I hope it helps! Good luck!

Samd, you are too kind :wink:. I believe most of the candidates from India interviewed in person in their local city. (There are quite a few alumni there.) So hopefully, you won't have to travel too far for an interview. And I think the total # of participants for the September intakes is more like 155. There are more admitted than attend (yield rate of about 65%), so don't let the numbers scare you. I wish you luck!

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 86

Kudos [?]: 481 [1] , given: 432

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: HEC Paris - Sep 2010 intake [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2010, 12:05
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi, Frogger! :)

I'm no authority on this subject, but you may have difficulty for this scholarship due to the eligibility criteria. Applicants must:

1. Be aged 30 years old or less in the selection year.
2. Have a single nationality from a developing country deemed an "emerging country" by the French state department, especially those in Asia and Latin America, for example, currently under-represented among the student population in France.

The scholarship is sponsored by the French government (French ministry of Foreign Affairs), but I think that you apply through HEC. In other words, HEC acts as a filter or middleman in the process. That was my impression, at least.

I'm sure that you have already seen this, but here is a brief description of it just in case. If you still have any questions, contact the HEC admissions department.

http://www.mba.hec.edu/Admissions/Finan ... holarships

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: HEC Paris - Sep 2010 intake [#permalink] New post 05 May 2010, 14:51
This post received
KUDOS
Trentohawk,

I am not from a consulting background so not in an exact situation as yours. Irrespective of that, HEC interviews
will primarily focus on your (i) motivation to pursue an MBA at this point of time (ii) why HEC in particular (iii)
your presentation (iv) whatever you have written in your essays (v) what your referees wrote about you.

Once you cover these 5 things in your interview preparation, half the work is done. So don't worry about things you cannot control. You just have to play the game with the cards that are dealt to you. If the interviewers prefer to crack down to the bottom, let them. It's an opportunity for you to show how strong your candidature is!

Once you get the interview call, you are already more than half way through. 75-80% of the people who get an interview call from HEC get an admit. So odds are in your favor. Good luck. Hope to see you in Paris soon.

Cheers
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP

Re: HEC Paris - Sep 2010 intake [#permalink] New post 12 May 2010, 10:56
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi jagorisaha!

The MFE program is easier to get into than HEC's other programs (MBA, MSc Management, MSc Finance, etc.). Concerning tests, I think that HEC accepts either the GMAT or GRE.

Your quant score is fantastic, but the verbal section needs to improve. But your internet based TOEFL is quite good, right? I'm not too familiar with the test, but the highest score is 120. If so, it looks like you're in good shape. You graduated with honors, but how should we interpret the 66% average? Is that good, average, or sub-standard?

I apologize for asking more questions than answering them, but we just need a little more specific information to give a good response.

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP

Re: HEC Paris - Sep 2010 intake [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2010, 11:32
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
pemberly wrote:
ok, this is going to seem where, but what specific day do classes start for sept 2010? what day would you need to be in france? and how long does it take to get a visa and everything ready if you are coming from the US?

Hi, pemberly.

It takes a couple of weeks to get the visa, assuming that both sides are fast about it. I'm currently going through the process right now and, as I understand it, you first apply for the application, set up a date to officially apply, apply in person, and then wait for the visa. I believe that classes formally commence on September 9th. HEC advises future students to come at least a few days prior to this.

Hope that helps!

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Re: HEC Paris - Sep 2010 intake [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2010, 07:36
This post received
KUDOS
pemberly wrote:
bmillan01 wrote:
You need a physical copy of the acceptance letter. When you get it, make a copy and send that with the money order along with your information (registration number, phone number, name, etc.) to CampusFrance as soon as possible. You also need to fill out the application form. Just do your best on the application and don't worry about it too much. I butchered mine and kept calling the embassy in order to redo it. I was informed that the application form is not so important for us because HEC sends the French embassy in Washington D.C. a list of accepted students. But still fill out the application. It takes three weeks or so for CampusFrance to process your application after they have received the required materials.

But I'm in the same boat as you are. Any information that you might find helpful please post here. We need to hang in there together!

i already filled out the application on CampusFrance and submitted it last night. So, I guess right now, I just have to sit and wait. I just keep worrying that I won't get my visa in time.

Hey pemberly, easier said than done, but don't worry. I'm pretty sure you'll manage to get everything in time :). The embassies also have appointments for emergency visas should you need to resort to that. It's just a matter of waiting for all your paperwork to come together. Since you've already completed the CampusFrance form, you just have to wait for the HEC admissions letter. You can mail a copy to CF via priority mail when you get it. If you schedule your visa appointment now for about 5 weeks out, you should be able to make it. My appointment in San Francisco was on a Friday and I was able to pick up my visa the following Tuesday. It might not be that quick for everyone, but I think they are speedier than they appear. You have to put a date of departure down for the visa application anyway, so the embassy will know by when you need to have the visa.

Have faith, it'll work out. PM me if you have any questions.

And re my previous post, you should definitely join LinkedIn. HEC's admissions committee put together a group for us and the discussion thread alone is over 42 pages now. Extremely useful! Another source is Google Groups. You should get an email from one of the current students to join this group. It's also a great avenue to get questions answered. And finally, a non-official group you can add yourself to is the HEC MBA September 2010 Intake Facebook group. Request to join and any one of the group members can add you. These are also good resources for finding off-campus housing, which you will probably have to do since the on-campus rooms have already been assigned and there's a mile-long waitlist. Good luck with everything!

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: HEC Paris - Sep 2010 intake [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2009, 23:02
Hi,

Im planning to apply for the SEP 2010 intake.
i have a 700 score and 3+ yrs exp in banking technology.
i have my essays ready...but planning to rewrite the GMAT again to give myself an edge.
i Represent the overwhelming "Indian IT Male" demographic. :roll:

ping me if we can share any tips/strategies based on my research of the school.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: HEC Paris - Sep 2010 intake [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2009, 03:58
Hi, guys. Will be throwing my hat in as well, hopefully R1.

24 (25 at matriculation)/M/American
710 GMAT (44/44)
4 WE @ major credit card company, doing credit risk
Based in Belgium now, also have worked extensively with Asian market (although from the US)
Decent ECs

Any insights on the essays? 250 and 500-word limits are tight!

- nyinbxl
Intern
Intern

Re: HEC Paris - Sep 2010 intake [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2009, 05:54
Hi prasun84, thanks a lot for the insight - this is really helpful. Did you apply to HEC last year or are you giving it a go this year?
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: HEC Paris - Sep 2010 intake [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2009, 13:11
Nopes.
I am applying for SEP 2010.
by the way, I read somewhere(maybe on accepted.com chat) that HEC doesn't entertain re-applicants. :oops:
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: HEC Paris - Sep 2010 intake [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2009, 00:56
Hey, by the way, R1 is 3 days from now! :roll:
Intern
Intern

Re: HEC Paris - Sep 2010 intake [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2009, 03:15
That's interesting about re-applicants. Makes sense, though, I guess since they don't have a section in the essays for the usual 'how has your profile improved?'.

Re R1, yeah I realized I actually meant R2. That's a really quick deadline for R1 - i wonder how many people will be able to get everything together by then!?
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: HEC Paris - Sep 2010 intake [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2009, 10:17
Well the Chat was dated sometime in 2006 so the rules may have changed..considering the fact that the latest application form does have a tick box for re-applicants.
yeah...I too am aiming for the 26th Oct deadline.
Intern
Intern
Schools: HEC,Paris

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: HEC Paris - Sep 2010 intake [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2009, 20:56
hey guys,
i am planning to apply to HEC for SEP'10.
but i have not yet given my GMAT (scheduled on the 11th of Nov).
i am 24 Male(25 at joining the school) with 3.5 years work ex(which includes a 4 month stint in France.)
Nationality: Indian (yeah we are gonna take over the world soon! :evil: )
But, fortunately, i stayed away from IT :-D
i am a senior design engineer at an offshore design center of one of the leading french auto suppliers.

good luck to you all with your applications.
I have already missed the R1 deadline!
so wish me luck for R2.
Re: HEC Paris - Sep 2010 intake   [#permalink] 13 Oct 2009, 20:56