Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 05:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

HEC Paris Septmenber 2012 Intake

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 22 Nov 2011
Posts: 16
Location: United States
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: HEC Paris - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
WE: Consulting (Internet and New Media)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 18

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: HEC Paris Septmenber 2012 Intake [#permalink] New post 27 May 2012, 20:02
there is also a facebook group

shalinithukral wrote:
hi

i also got admitted to HEC sept intake...

Anybody else going?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 31 May 2012
Posts: 3
Schools: HEC '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q43 V46
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: HEC Paris Septmenber 2012 Intake [#permalink] New post 31 May 2012, 01:02
jackolam wrote:
These are the things that you have to be here in order to understand how HEC functions and how we current students get frustrated.

I am sure the new curriculum would help the program. I had a Corp. Strat. class taught by leading professionals in Bain. While it was a 'cool' and 'chillax' course meaning that the instructor was interesting to listen to about his cases, you don't learn much.

Strong students make a strong hiring reputation obv. But strong students around you again has nothing to do with your own employment success. To this, I found the careers training not helpful at all. Most students here learn and adapt from interview trial and error which should have been at least reduced if you go to a school like HEC.

I am not sure if you are an EU citizen. But most students were not told that if they weren't, they cannot easily obtain a working visa in the UK. HEC again didn't really give a heads up.

French classes are ok. Again you cannot rely on those classes to become fluent. Because you won't live in Paris you won't have a lot of chances to speak the language rendering classes as the only opportunity. The classes aren't even that sufficient ( not enough class hours).

Just when you compare things across the board, keep in mind that hiring reputation and other perks are not unique to HEC. Other good schools like LBS, LSE, Ivy leagues have at least as good of a network. But would you not want a solid program to back it off? Having good network or do-it-yourself employment preparation are not valid excuse for program which inherently sucks.


Jackolam,

1) You might want to explain to people that you're not actually in the HEC Paris MBA program. You are in the MsC in Financial Economics program, or so you claim elsewhere on this forum. Regardless, the HEC Paris MBA program is not the finance program and vice versa.

2) Anyone attending an MBA program should know the work visa requirements for whichever country they hope to work in afterwards.

3) It is important to learn the local language of whichever country you hope to work. Fortunately, HEC's MBA program has an awesome group of exchange schools. If a student wants to work in the US or the UK, she can job hunt while doing her last semester at a school in her target country (such as LBS, Sloan MIT, Berkeley, etc).

4) A substantial number of MBA candidates at top schools seem to expect to have a job handed to them on a silver platter when they graduate. If they don't, they blame the school. I've got news for you: it takes work everywhere. I spoke with the Finance specialist in LBS's employment office recently. She is pessimistic about LBS graduates' chances of finding jobs right now.

5) I cannot fathom why someone attending HEC Paris would be naive enough to publically criticize the institution. If you really are at HEC studying finance, your criticisms devalue the degree for which you have paid. You might want to rethink that strategy.

6) Given that you didn't even realize that getting a work visa in the UK might be an issue for a non-EU passport holder, it's hard to take your criticisms seriously.

As for those of you starting at HEC this fall, I'll see you there this September. :)

Me:
Italy/USA Citizenship
GMAT 720
Current Country: Belgium
Background: Media
Education: BA Top US Liberal Arts College, MA in Political Science
Languages: English (native), German (fluent), French (intermediate), Italian (intermediate).
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 08 Jun 2012
Posts: 1
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: HEC Paris Septmenber 2012 Intake [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2012, 23:45
I am admitted for the january 2013 intake :) who else is goign? how abt the housing?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 15 Sep 2009
Posts: 3
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: HEC Paris Septmenber 2012 Intake [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2012, 00:25
flyinghsu88 wrote:
Hi all, just got admitted to HEC Paris MBA program. Anybody else out there joining me?

Also any HEC MBA grads got any advice for an incoming students? Or any MBA grads got any advice in general?

Thanks!



Hey flyinghsu88!

Congrats to you and all other admitted candidates!!! :-D
I am a current student (Sep11 Intake), so if you guys have any questions, let me know!!

Anyway, you should receive a welcome package from admin with information on housing, logistics, etc...
You might consider living on campus during the first months though, as you spend a lot of time in class, with group meetings, club activities, sports, party, etc...

After core phase, many of us now moved to Paris, either working on internships or sharing cars to commute to campus for elective classes.

See you soon then!! (in the new MBA building!! Inauguration is today btw...)
Best
D
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 06 Apr 2011
Posts: 11
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: HEC Paris Septmenber 2012 Intake [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2012, 05:44
Belgique2HEC wrote:
jackolam wrote:
These are the things that you have to be here in order to understand how HEC functions and how we current students get frustrated.

I am sure the new curriculum would help the program. I had a Corp. Strat. class taught by leading professionals in Bain. While it was a 'cool' and 'chillax' course meaning that the instructor was interesting to listen to about his cases, you don't learn much.

Strong students make a strong hiring reputation obv. But strong students around you again has nothing to do with your own employment success. To this, I found the careers training not helpful at all. Most students here learn and adapt from interview trial and error which should have been at least reduced if you go to a school like HEC.

I am not sure if you are an EU citizen. But most students were not told that if they weren't, they cannot easily obtain a working visa in the UK. HEC again didn't really give a heads up.

French classes are ok. Again you cannot rely on those classes to become fluent. Because you won't live in Paris you won't have a lot of chances to speak the language rendering classes as the only opportunity. The classes aren't even that sufficient ( not enough class hours).

Just when you compare things across the board, keep in mind that hiring reputation and other perks are not unique to HEC. Other good schools like LBS, LSE, Ivy leagues have at least as good of a network. But would you not want a solid program to back it off? Having good network or do-it-yourself employment preparation are not valid excuse for program which inherently sucks.


Jackolam,

1) You might want to explain to people that you're not actually in the HEC Paris MBA program. You are in the MsC in Financial Economics program, or so you claim elsewhere on this forum. Regardless, the HEC Paris MBA program is not the finance program and vice versa.

2) Anyone attending an MBA program should know the work visa requirements for whichever country they hope to work in afterwards.

3) It is important to learn the local language of whichever country you hope to work. Fortunately, HEC's MBA program has an awesome group of exchange schools. If a student wants to work in the US or the UK, she can job hunt while doing her last semester at a school in her target country (such as LBS, Sloan MIT, Berkeley, etc).

4) A substantial number of MBA candidates at top schools seem to expect to have a job handed to them on a silver platter when they graduate. If they don't, they blame the school. I've got news for you: it takes work everywhere. I spoke with the Finance specialist in LBS's employment office recently. She is pessimistic about LBS graduates' chances of finding jobs right now.

5) I cannot fathom why someone attending HEC Paris would be naive enough to publically criticize the institution. If you really are at HEC studying finance, your criticisms devalue the degree for which you have paid. You might want to rethink that strategy.

6) Given that you didn't even realize that getting a work visa in the UK might be an issue for a non-EU passport holder, it's hard to take your criticisms seriously.

As for those of you starting at HEC this fall, I'll see you there this September. :)

Me:
Italy/USA Citizenship
GMAT 720
Current Country: Belgium
Background: Media
Education: BA Top US Liberal Arts College, MA in Political Science
Languages: English (native), German (fluent), French (intermediate), Italian (intermediate).


if you think the MBA is a lot different, you might want to think again. There are shared courses and instructors. In addition, if you are a high caliber candidate, you don't need to go to HEC. If you want to hit the slump French market, HEC Paris is possibly your best bet. They do have good opportunities with french companies. Bottom line is that there are huge criticisms revolving around the cost-to-value of masters programs in the states. HEC appears to have hopped on to this money making bandwagon. There's nothing wrong with experimenting - I did it too. It just ended poorly for me. BY all means go through with it. Post here in one year.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 15 Sep 2009
Posts: 3
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: HEC Paris Septmenber 2012 Intake [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2012, 10:25
Diplemek wrote:
flyinghsu88 wrote:
Hi all, just got admitted to HEC Paris MBA program. Anybody else out there joining me?

Also any HEC MBA grads got any advice for an incoming students? Or any MBA grads got any advice in general?

Thanks!



Hey flyinghsu88!

Congrats to you and all other admitted candidates!!! :-D
I am a current student (Sep11 Intake), so if you guys have any questions, let me know!!

Anyway, you should receive a welcome package from admin with information on housing, logistics, etc...
You might consider living on campus during the first months though, as you spend a lot of time in class, with group meetings, club activities, sports, party, etc...

After core phase, many of us now moved to Paris, either working on internships or sharing cars to commute to campus for elective classes.

See you soon then!! (in the new MBA building!! Inauguration is today btw...)
Best
D



...and of course - referring to the previous post - we share some professors with other programs. For example Prof. Kapferer is teaching for Grande Ecole and for MBAs. Why should he be less a "marketing guru" when teaching another audience? Of course: classes and content are totally different. And so is the Masters program compared to the MBA program.
Another note on the previously mentioned job market post MBA: indeed, HEC has a fantastic reputation in France and it is certainly a door opener. Nevertheless, many of us are currently on internships abroad (e.g. IB in London/Zurich, PE in Germany, etc.) - the network is really strong!
Best
D
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 31 May 2012
Posts: 3
Schools: HEC '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q43 V46
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: HEC Paris Septmenber 2012 Intake [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2012, 13:51
jackolam wrote:

if you think the MBA is a lot different, you might want to think again. There are shared courses and instructors. In addition, if you are a high caliber candidate, you don't need to go to HEC. If you want to hit the slump French market, HEC Paris is possibly your best bet. They do have good opportunities with french companies. Bottom line is that there are huge criticisms revolving around the cost-to-value of masters programs in the states. HEC appears to have hopped on to this money making bandwagon. There's nothing wrong with experimenting - I did it too. It just ended poorly for me. BY all means go through with it. Post here in one year.

You're insisting that you know a great deal about a program that you're not affiliated with and know nothing about. You are NOT an MBA student.

I sincerely hope anyone who finds this thread ignores jackolam's opinion. I'm at HEC and having an amazing experience with great faculty and great classmates. It'd be a shame if someone missed out on that opportunity because of the jaded rantings of someone who knows nothing about the HEC MBA.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 Oct 2012
Posts: 130
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 1

Re: HEC Paris Septmenber 2012 Intake [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2012, 22:46
You can not always rely on FREE INTERNET!! For every one good intended mind there are few motivated minds. So apply your own brain before trusting any information.

Having said that, we still have many honest, helpful and caring people around.

Now my question is if I apply now for HEC Sep 13 intake, it means, I am applying for the 6th round. I agree that HEC has too many rounds but still 6th rounds seems to be too late. HEC Jan intake is not in my radar.

Is it worth to apply to HEC now at this late stage? Please share your views.



And please, I am tired of all those mouthful answers, like "It depends!!", "how unique or strong are you" ... just assume an average student who definitely has a 50-50 chance in early rounds. I know for other schools, the answer will be very very slim but since HEC has soooo many rounds, it might be different. Whether 150 Euro (the application fee) is big amount or not is a different question, but I don't want to bet my money for something where there is a very slim chance!!, neither I want to trouble my referee for something where ROI is slim.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 31 May 2012
Posts: 3
Schools: HEC '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q43 V46
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: HEC Paris Septmenber 2012 Intake [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2012, 03:20
wouldbecrazy wrote:
You can not always rely on FREE INTERNET!! For every one good intended mind there are few motivated minds. So apply your own brain before trusting any information.

Having said that, we still have many honest, helpful and caring people around.

Now my question is if I apply now for HEC Sep 13 intake, it means, I am applying for the 6th round. I agree that HEC has too many rounds but still 6th rounds seems to be too late. HEC Jan intake is not in my radar.

Is it worth to apply to HEC now at this late stage? Please share your views.



And please, I am tired of all those mouthful answers, like "It depends!!", "how unique or strong are you" ... just assume an average student who definitely has a 50-50 chance in early rounds. I know for other schools, the answer will be very very slim but since HEC has soooo many rounds, it might be different. Whether 150 Euro (the application fee) is big amount or not is a different question, but I don't want to bet my money for something where there is a very slim chance!!, neither I want to trouble my referee for something where ROI is slim.


If you want to go to HEC, you should apply. I'm not under the impression that they have a strict cap on the number of applicants they'll admit. If they feel you are a great applicant, they'll let you in during whichever round you apply. I hope that's a straightforward enough answer.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 Oct 2012
Posts: 130
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 1

Re: HEC Paris Septmenber 2012 Intake [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2012, 00:12
Belgique2HEC wrote:
If you want to go to HEC, you should apply. I'm not under the impression that they have a strict cap on the number of applicants they'll admit. If they feel you are a great applicant, they'll let you in during whichever round you apply. I hope that's a straightforward enough answer.


I too feel that way. HEC's admission rounds are a bit different than rest of the schools. I understand that they just recently changed from a rolling admission to staged admission. But for some unknown reasons, started their admission rounds too early.

I will probably take a chance with my 150 Euro!!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 09 Feb 2013
Posts: 46
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V32
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V36
GMAT 3: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.76
WE: Supply Chain Management (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: HEC Paris Septmenber 2012 Intake [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2013, 09:17
Hello everyone,

I have been selected for the HEC Masters in Strategic Management Program September 2013 Intake..it would be really great to get some opinions as to how the program is.

My basic aim for studying in this program is to have a career in strategy/consultancy as I really like this field of work. I am currently working as a supply chain manager and have done my under grad in engineering, thus I feel a management degree would really suit my profile and help me get the career shift I need. Studying in HEC will obviously have many advantages and I have no doubts about the benefits the university offers. But my only concern is that since I am non EU passport holder (Indian), how easy would it be for me to get a job through HEC career services in Europe after doing this program especially in my preferred industry. I do have basic knowledge of French as I have learnt it during my school days and would be working hard on being as good as possible in French in the next 18 months before I get hired. Btw I am currently working in Singapore.

Hope to hear from some people who are currently studying in HEC!!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 06 Jun 2012
Posts: 18
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 7

CAT Tests
Re: HEC Paris Septmenber 2012 Intake [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2013, 12:23
Hi

I was just wondering if you guys/girls know if it is possible to submit a application 2-3 days after the deadline. I know that it is a stupid thing to do, but i might have no other option.
Re: HEC Paris Septmenber 2012 Intake   [#permalink] 04 Apr 2013, 12:23
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
5 Experts publish their posts in the topic HEC Paris September2012 Intake mavanyan 9 09 Dec 2011, 06:20
calling 2012 Intake HEC Paris Msc d Financial Economic !! mery 0 05 Dec 2011, 16:34
4 Calling HEC Paris MSc Management-Grande Ecole 2012 INTAKE! jigjagjai 50 31 Aug 2011, 07:01
5 HEC Paris Jan 2012 - Intake FergTron 11 06 Dec 2010, 19:28
11 Experts publish their posts in the topic HEC Paris - Sep 2010 intake flamenco 391 20 Feb 2009, 00:23
Display posts from previous: Sort by

HEC Paris Septmenber 2012 Intake

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 32 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.