Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 20:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

HEC, Schulich, or Booth's wait list?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

What to do?

• 16% [1]
  • 0% [0]
  • 16% [1]
  • 33% [2]
  • 33% [2]
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q44 V48
GPA: 3.83
WE: Account Management (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

HEC, Schulich, or Booth's wait list? [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2013, 17:23
I am a 28-year-old American applicant. I have a Master's in an unrelated field and then 48 months of pretty middling work experience: mortgage servicing non-management (current job, 27 months of it by July), a writing internship at a newspaper, office temping, even retail. Undergrad is in Economics and Russian, Master's Slavic Studies. Lots of community involvement. I am looking to get into corporate finance ideally, but I have been told I profile better in consulting. I live in Seattle now. I come originally from the Midwest. My girlfriend is Canadian, so we'd be happy long-term in most any big city in the U.S. or Canada. We would also love to do Europe for a couple of years, but not long-term.

The only school I haven't heard back from yet is Haas, and the lack of an interview there tells me it is probably a reject.

So, the options I have facing me:

HEC
Admitted with a 12k euro scholarship in hand, still in the running for two others which could total another 20k euros. The initial deposit of 6k euros is due on 4/3. It was originally due in early March. I asked for an extension until mid-April so I could hear back from Haas, but they have only given me till the 3rd.

Schulich
Admitted with a renewable, annual $6k CAD scholarship. I tried to get them to match HEC. They said they would put my name back in the hat at the next scholarship jury, but that was all they could promise. Given my proficiency in Russian, they have twice asked me to consider their IMBA program (not sure if this is trade up). The initial deposit of $2500 CAD is due 4/2, but I have asked for an extension and intend to visit campus.

Booth
Waitlisted just yesterday. I liked Booth the best of any of them.

What do you guys think? Once I got waitlisted at Booth, I was pretty settled on going to Foster until they rejected me this morning, which was a shock. I was very pro-HEC early in the process, but before I was admitted, the career services staff there called me and said that I realistically had little chance of working in France because of my lack of prior fluency. I appreciated their honesty, but it did give me reason to worry about paying a lot of money for a degree that might not hold a lot of value if I had to come back to the U.S.

Right now, I think my likeliest play is Schulich. There is also a name recognition problem in the U.S., but I wouldn't have near as much trouble working in Canada as the EU, especially not if I marry my girlfriend. Toronto is a great city that both of us love and could easily be a long-term home. Additionally, the deposit at Schulich is not so high that if Booth offered me a spot, I would feel like I had to say no.

Can anyone comment on:

-strength of brand for HEC and Schulich beyond their respective cities/countries
-academic rigor of Schulich. I know HEC and Booth are both rigorous, which I like.
Current Student
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 96

Re: HEC, Schulich, or Booth's wait list? [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2013, 21:05
fmdistheboss wrote:
I am a 28-year-old American applicant. I have a Master's in an unrelated field and then 48 months of pretty middling work experience: mortgage servicing non-management (current job, 27 months of it by July), a writing internship at a newspaper, office temping, even retail. Undergrad is in Economics and Russian, Master's Slavic Studies. Lots of community involvement. I am looking to get into corporate finance ideally, but I have been told I profile better in consulting. I live in Seattle now. I come originally from the Midwest. My girlfriend is Canadian, so we'd be happy long-term in most any big city in the U.S. or Canada. We would also love to do Europe for a couple of years, but not long-term.

The only school I haven't heard back from yet is Haas, and the lack of an interview there tells me it is probably a reject.

So, the options I have facing me:

HEC
Admitted with a 12k euro scholarship in hand, still in the running for two others which could total another 20k euros. The initial deposit of 6k euros is due on 4/3. It was originally due in early March. I asked for an extension until mid-April so I could hear back from Haas, but they have only given me till the 3rd.

Schulich
Admitted with a renewable, annual $6k CAD scholarship. I tried to get them to match HEC. They said they would put my name back in the hat at the next scholarship jury, but that was all they could promise. Given my proficiency in Russian, they have twice asked me to consider their IMBA program (not sure if this is trade up). The initial deposit of $2500 CAD is due 4/2, but I have asked for an extension and intend to visit campus.

Booth
Waitlisted just yesterday. I liked Booth the best of any of them.

What do you guys think? Once I got waitlisted at Booth, I was pretty settled on going to Foster until they rejected me this morning, which was a shock. I was very pro-HEC early in the process, but before I was admitted, the career services staff there called me and said that I realistically had little chance of working in France because of my lack of prior fluency. I appreciated their honesty, but it did give me reason to worry about paying a lot of money for a degree that might not hold a lot of value if I had to come back to the U.S.

Right now, I think my likeliest play is Schulich. There is also a name recognition problem in the U.S., but I wouldn't have near as much trouble working in Canada as the EU, especially not if I marry my girlfriend. Toronto is a great city that both of us love and could easily be a long-term home. Additionally, the deposit at Schulich is not so high that if Booth offered me a spot, I would feel like I had to say no.

Can anyone comment on:

-strength of brand for HEC and Schulich beyond their respective cities/countries
-academic rigor of Schulich. I know HEC and Booth are both rigorous, which I like.

i think if u plan to work in the US, give it ur best shot to get into booth. id also seriously consider a round 3 to another american school IF u plan to live in the US in the future. i had to google hec and schulich to know what they were. they may be well respected in their countries but i doubt ull get the respect u deserve for them here. if u got waitlisted to booth and were willing to go to foster, id imagine there are some inbetween schools u might be able to get into round 3. get a consultant if u need to and get that app in this month. sry if i cant give any input on the other programs - just a US perspective. although, from the rankings it does look like hec paris is the better program and would get more respect around the world than schulich.

i do wish the deposit on hec were smaller than 6k. but if u were willing to not put deposits down, just wait for booth and potentially reapply to schools next year, my choice would be "wait for booth. put no deposits down. use some of that money toward other round 3 apps/consultant if you can make the deadline". i had a nontraditional background and the consultant definitely helped. with your mixed work experience, id definitely seek help developing a strong story if u decide to apply next year.
Re: HEC, Schulich, or Booth's wait list?   [#permalink] 29 Mar 2013, 21:05