Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 06:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

HEC vs INSEAD

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Insead or HEC?

• 32% [8]
  • 68% [17]
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

HEC vs INSEAD [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2014, 06:12
Hi,

I have to decide between HEC and INSEAD.

My profile:

Nationality: Brazilian
Degree: Environmental engineering
Past Experience: 4 years in Consulting
Post-MBA career goal :Stay in Consulting or switch to the telco industry (preferably in Marketing)
Post-MBA Location :- Probably Brazil, but maybe Europe
Cost and time of the MBA: They are not drivers of my decision

Could you guys please help me?
Thanks in advance
BSchool Forum Moderator
Schools: Tuck '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 162 [0], given: 101

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: HEC vs INSEAD [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2014, 10:17
I would pick Insead. It it the better school with a better brand. It's also very strong in consulting.

*Updated 25th July*: Embracing the downtime
Blog: http://domotron.wordpress.com

Elements of an MBA application series
GMAT (28/02) | Profile (11/03) | Networking / Research (01/04) | Recommendations (30/05) | Essays / Online applications | Interview

My 710 (Q50, V36) Debrief + 740 (Q48, V44) Update:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/710-q50-v36-phew-i-m-done-with-the-gmat-probably-150067.html

Please share your profiles for this application season below:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/2014-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-162160.html

Haas Thread Master
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 109

CAT Tests
Re: HEC vs INSEAD [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2014, 12:54
INSEAD.

Top consulting firms recruit at the school for their Europe, Asia, and Middle East world area offices.
I am not very sure whether they recruit from INSEAD for the Americas, particularly Brazil that too.

http://ltn99.blogspot.com/

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: HEC vs INSEAD [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2014, 21:54
Hi,
Both HEC and INSEAD are good schools. INSEAD is better positioned to help you land a position in consulting (e.g. McKinsey recruits more grads from INSEAD than from any other school worldwide) and has a stronger network in Brazil than HEC. If you want to make a career change into industry, the 15 month format at HEC with the internship opportunity and company project could help you achieve that (INSEAD has an internship opportunity for the January but not for the September intake).
Overall - whilst HEC is a great school with a long history and many illustrious alumni, at a global level, INSEAD has the stronger reputation.
Good luck,
Caroline @ Fortuna Admissions / former Director of Admissions at INSEAD
Current Student
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
Schools: HEC '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.35
WE: Information Technology (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 9

Re: HEC vs INSEAD [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2014, 00:47
rovolpe wrote:
Hi,

I have to decide between HEC and INSEAD.

My profile:

Nationality: Brazilian
Degree: Environmental engineering
Past Experience: 4 years in Consulting
Post-MBA career goal :Stay in Consulting or switch to the telco industry (preferably in Marketing)
Post-MBA Location :- Probably Brazil, but maybe Europe
Cost and time of the MBA: They are not drivers of my decision

Could you guys please help me?
Thanks in advance

INSEAD is a great program but so is HEC. INSEAD has an edge in consulting but this does not apply to the individual. At HEC, you can land an interview anywhere. If you are good, you will do well with the interviews and you will get the job. At INSEAD there might be a lot of on campus recruitment but that is only due to the size of the class which make sense it terms of yield for the companies. At HEC the recruitment is more personal which means you are not evaluated primarily on your scores and CV but more on your personality and drive. Don't forget that not everyone at INSEAD gets interviewed on campus.

The duration of the MBA might not be a driver for your decision but a longer program vs a shorter one will allow you to learn more and have a better MBA experience. There are so many things to do during an MBA and it would be several years before you got bored so 9-10 months seem quite short to me.

HEC is the king in France and if you are fluent in French you can do whatever you want here. Elsewhere in Europe it is well known and well respected and making significant efforts the last few years to increase its brand recognition outside Europe and this is happening fast. At the end of the day, HEC is the best business school in Europe.

A McK partner does not give a shit if you are from HBS, LBS, HEC or INSEAD. As long as you have a good MBA it does not matter. Then it matters how you think and if you are a good fit with the culture.

Also regarding your educational background. If you had a degree in business it would make more sense to go for such a short program like the one INSEAD offers. You have so much to learn so ever course you take is going to be very beneficial to you.

Finally, HEC has a whole campus to offer (making life a lot more interesting and easy) and it is a lot closer to Paris than Fonty. This allows HEC to organise events like www.mbat.org where MBA from all over Europe gather from all over Europe. This year the only MBAs that could not stay and had to come if for a few hours every day and miss all the parties where the INSEAD participants. Well in 10 months you can't afford to network that much.

Best of luck with whatever of the two you go with!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management
GRE 1: 1480 Q83 V97
GPA: 3.19
WE: Human Resources (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: HEC vs INSEAD [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2014, 01:11
Disclosure: Current HEC Student.

For consulting : 80% is profile. Good MBA is second. If you're cut out for the McKinsey's of the world, you will make it no matter where you go. My Strategy professor is a MD at McKinsey Paris.

It boils down to what you want in terms of experience. From my talks with my buddies at INSEAD, it seems HEC is much more collegial and intimate. Access to Paris is a big difference as well.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: HEC vs INSEAD [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2014, 05:19
Both are amazing schools.

Just make sure you see on a map where INSEAD is. And make sure you actually MEET several people from each school before making a decision.
Re: HEC vs INSEAD   [#permalink] 12 Jul 2014, 05:19