Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:11 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date

HEC or LSE MSc in Finance

You may select 1 option
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Re: HEC vs LSE Finance [#permalink]
LSE is internationally well-known to have a strong curriculum. I don't say that the latter is necessarily true or that LSE curriculum is superior/inferior to HEC curriculum but what matters is what others think. At least, this is how I perceive this topic.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [1]
Given Kudos: 88
Send PM
HEC vs LSE Finance [#permalink]
Kudos
I would choose LSE on any given day. If we take MBA out, LSE is the most respected business school outside US. Again I'm not talking about MBA but other courses and LSE's reputation as a business school. Since you want to work in investment banking, LSE provides you much important links to London, which is the financial capital of the world. Yes I said world, it beats even NY. LSE's curriculum is also more rigorous than HEC. Finally, both in terms of academics and experience, you'll find much better and diverse colleagues in LSE than HEC.

For me HEC is not even a competition but than again perhaps you're a French and in France HEC is like Harvard but if you're an international student LSE is no-brainer here. An undergraduate in Mathematics from Imperial and Finance Masters from LSE, you'll be highly desired in London.

Hope this helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [3]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Kudos
LSE also has a reputation for being a degree mill, has not so impressive placement statistics, has poor career services, is pretty expensive, and is a terrible idea for non-EU students due to immigration policies in the UK.

I'd lean towards HEC but it'd depend on your profile. If you're EU and already have an impressive profile (finance-related internship) LSE will help get a foot into London and there's no reason for HEC's two years.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks a lot guys for your replies, it really helps a lot! What I was wondering as well is whether it is better to try finding a job (only based on my degree from Imperial and internships in IBD) work for a couple of years and then do an MBA or do this master in Finance as well? I feel that if I do the master in Finance it somehow compromises the opportunity to get an MBA in future, what do you think would be best?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
matt93london wrote:
Thanks a lot guys for your replies, it really helps a lot! What I was wondering as well is whether it is better to try finding a job (only based on my degree from Imperial and internships in IBD) work for a couple of years and then do an MBA or do this master in Finance as well? I feel that if I do the master in Finance it somehow compromises the opportunity to get an MBA in future, what do you think would be best?

Yes. If you can go into industry now, go into industry. Nobody will really care whether you have a masters or not. The name of your college doesn't mean nearly as much as the work experience you get. Goldman Sachs IBD + PoDunk University > Oxford + 7/11 Cashier.

If you want to then rebrand yourself in the future, an MBA will probably help, though Europeans don't seem to emphasize the MBA as much and there's no reason to force yourself to lose two year's of salary if you don't have to. Not sure how it is in the UK though.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
mooncakes wrote:
matt93london wrote:

Yes. If you can go into industry now, go into industry. Nobody will really care whether you have a masters or not. The name of your college doesn't mean nearly as much as the work experience you get. Goldman Sachs IBD + PoDunk University > Oxford + 7/11 Cashier.

If you want to then rebrand yourself in the future, an MBA will probably help, though Europeans don't seem to emphasize the MBA as much and there's no reason to force yourself to lose two year's of salary if you don't have to. Not sure how it is in the UK though.

Thanks for your reply! I see. But in any case you'd lean towards HEC for the Master in Finance, do you know if they are also well reputed in terms of connections in the city?
Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
From what I have heard, HEC graduates do not have any problems passing screening during the recruitment process. That said, LSE students may have a certain advantage in the further stages, being able to attend more events in the City and get better networking.

Having spoken to both HEC and LSE alumni, I got an impression, that at HEC people tend to dedicate more time to actual studying, while the common thing at LSE is to concentrate on recruiting, studying just enough to complete the degree. It is up to you to decide which approach you prefer.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Send PM
matt93london wrote:
mooncakes wrote:
matt93london wrote:

Thanks for your reply! I see. But in any case you'd lean towards HEC for the Master in Finance, do you know if they are also well reputed in terms of connections in the city?
Thanks!

Yes. They are a solid recruiting ground for IB in London. I'm guessing with you don't have residency issues with living in London. I think your decision should essentially rest on whether you want to do two years vs. one, tuition fees, and where you want to live. I have also heard that HEC has better career services, but LSE obviously has easiest access to recruiting events within the city. My profile favors HEC as French immigration laws >>> UK and I'm an American national. I also like the fact that HEC has a very elite reputation within France whereas LSE seems a bit of a degree mill with so many different master programs and is outshined by Oxbridge anyways. That being said, LSE is more recognizable outside of Europe.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Both HEC International Finance and LSE Finance are one year programs, aren't they?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
unknown123 wrote:
Both HEC International Finance and LSE Finance are one year programs, aren't they?

Yeah they are both one year programs!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Send PM
Ah. My bad then. I was confusing it with HEC's MiM which allows specializing in finance the second year.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts