Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 21:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Hedge Fund managers who have invested in the sub-prime

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Hedge Fund managers who have invested in the sub-prime [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2012, 19:34
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 100% (01:44) wrong based on 13 sessions
Hedge Fund managers who have invested in the sub-prime mortgage markets have cited the ongoing economic crisis as reason for delivering lower than expected returns. It is indeed true that the economic crisis has had an adverse impact on regular equity investors, but in the case of hedge funds, this excuse is clearly not acceptable. Hedge funds are intrinsically designed to protect against market uncertainties, and therefore, should have provided sufficient cover against the economic crisis. Rather, it is lack of prudent investing that is to blame.

In the argument given, the two boldfaced portions play which of the following roles?

A. The first provides evidence to support the conclusion of the argument as a whole; the second states the conclusion.

B. The first states the conclusion of the argument as a whole; the second states an intermediate conclusion that is drawn in order to support that conclusion.

C. The first is the position that the argument as a whole opposes; the second provides evidence against the position being opposed.

D. The first states an intermediate conclusion that is drawn in order to support the conclusion of the argument as a whole; the second states the conclusion of the argument as a whole.

E. The first and second both state intermediate conclusions that are drawn in order to support jointly the conclusions of the argument as a whole.

Found this on internet. Don't know OA.

My ans is B
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Ross '17, Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 239 [0], given: 43

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Boldface question [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2012, 23:06
karthiksms wrote:
Hedge Fund managers who have invested in the sub-prime mortgage markets have cited the ongoing economic crisis as reason for delivering lower than expected returns. It is indeed true that the economic crisis has had an adverse impact on regular equity investors, but in the case of hedge funds, this excuse is clearly not acceptable. Hedge funds are intrinsically designed to protect against market uncertainties, and therefore, should have provided sufficient cover against the economic crisis. Rather, it is lack of prudent investing that is to blame.
In the argument given, the two boldfaced portions play which of the following roles?
A. The first provides evidence to support the conclusion of the argument as a whole; the second states the conclusion.
B. The first states the conclusion of the argument as a whole; the second states an intermediate conclusion that is drawn in order to support that conclusion.
C. The first is the position that the argument as a whole opposes; the second provides evidence against the position being opposed.
D. The first states an intermediate conclusion that is drawn in order to support the conclusion of the argument as a whole; the second states the conclusion of the argument as a whole.
E. The first and second both state intermediate conclusions that are drawn in order to support jointly the conclusions of the argument as a whole.
My ans is B

The second is definitely the conclusion and. So, we can eliminate choice E, C, B.

Between D and A. Choice D states that the first is the intermediate conclusion that is drawn in order to support the main conclusion. It's wrong because we can use the "therefore" technique after cut over the after-part of the first boldface, we do not have any feelings or logical reasoning for the second to be sub-conclusion.

POE, choice A is the clear correct answer.

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: ISB '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V39
GPA: 3.62
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 10

Reviews Badge
Re: Boldface question [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2012, 23:23
Though I am weak in verbal section, I strongly feel that B is the right answer. Here's the explanation.

Premise-1 : Hedge funds are intrinsically designed to protect against market uncertainties

Intermediate conclusion / Premise-2 : therefore, should have provided sufficient cover against the economic crisis

Final conclusion : but in the case of hedge funds, this excuse is clearly not acceptable

The first two statements are counter premises which is followed by conclusion. The word 'but' indicates that the conclusion is not derived from he first two statements. And then premise-1 and premise-2 are stated to support the conclusion.

PS: Kindly explain if I got it all wrong. :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 13

Re: Boldface question [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2012, 02:56
I was having problems with this one: So, I will explain my solution here.

Traditional view: Hedge Fund managers who have invested in the sub-prime mortgage markets have cited the ongoing economic crisis as reason for delivering lower than expected returns.

Evidence for Traditional view: It is indeed true that the economic crisis has had an adverse impact on regular equity investors,

New view: but in the case of hedge funds, this excuse is clearly not acceptable.

Evidence for new view: Hedge funds are intrinsically designed to protect against market uncertainties, and therefore, should have provided sufficient cover against the economic crisis.

Evidence for new view: Rather, it is lack of prudent investing that is to blame.

If you look at the answer choices, only B stands out as the correct choice. I believe Bold faced questions, I face two main problems: 1) Stop going deep into the argument itself, instead just focus on statements and treat them as premises rather than facts. 2) Don't look at the answer choices before you have a clear structure in mind.

Someone have the OA for this?
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Project Management Professional (PMP)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 12

Re: Boldface question [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2012, 03:54
Can you please share the OA..

Best
Vaibhav

If you found my contribution helpful, please click the +1 Kudos button on the left, Thanks

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, Technology
GMAT Date: 07-11-2012
GPA: 3.82
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 4

Re: Boldface question [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2012, 08:24
tuanquang269 wrote:
karthiksms wrote:
My ans is B

The second is definitely the conclusion and. So, we can eliminate choice E, C, B.

Between D and A. Choice D states that the first is the intermediate conclusion that is drawn in order to support the main conclusion. It's wrong because we can use the "therefore" technique after cut over the after-part of the first boldface, we do not have any feelings or logical reasoning for the second to be sub-conclusion.

POE, choice A is the clear correct answer.

I also narrowed it down to A and D but chose D.

Used the same "therefore" test.

Let my voice it out:
1. X should have provided sufficient cover against the economic crisis. Therefore, excuse not acceptable. -----> Seems Legit
2. Excuse not acceptable. Therefore, X should have provided sufficient cover against the economic crisis -----> Nonsensical

Therefore ( :) ) , D seems correct to me.

@tuanquang269 you seem to have used the same method and got a different answer. Can you please explain your answer ( Or better yet, help me understand what I missed )

“When I was young I observed that nine out of ten things I did were failures, so I did ten times more work.” ~ Bernard Shaw

Kudos me if I helped you in any way.

Re: Boldface question   [#permalink] 11 Jun 2012, 08:24