Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Sep 2014, 16:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Heightened land erosion, caused by human activity, has many

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 21

GMAT Tests User
Heightened land erosion, caused by human activity, has many [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2011, 22:22
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

34% (01:59) correct 66% (00:55) wrong based on 344 sessions
Heightened land erosion, caused by human activity, has many negative effects including the following: algae blooms, coral reef destruction, imbalance of the fish population, and the introduction of harmful chemicals to the ocean's environment.
A) including the following: algae blooms, coral reef destruction, imbalance of the fish population, and the introduction of harmful chemicals to the ocean's environment.
B) including: algae blooms, coral reef destruction, imbalance of the fish population, and harmful chemicals entering the ocean's environment.
C) including: algae blooms, coral reef destruction, imbalance of the fish population, and the introduction of harmful chemicals to the ocean's environment.
D) including the following: algae blooms, coral reef destruction, imbalance of the fish population, and harmful chemicals entering the ocean’s environment.
E) including the following: algae blooms, coral reef destruction, certain fish populations rising, certain fish populations falling, and the introduction of harmful chemicals to the ocean’s environment.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

target:-810 out of 800!

Last edited by fameatop on 29 Jul 2013, 08:26, edited 1 time in total.
OA not Provided
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 301 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: erosion SC! [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2011, 22:34
IMO, B.

"including the following" is redundant.
B is more concise. It is better an adjective ("entering") than a noun (introduction).

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 96 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: erosion SC! [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2011, 23:17
I will also go with B. What is the OA?

Crick
2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: HBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 115 [2] , given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: erosion SC! [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2011, 23:31
This post received
KUDOS
When you are introducing a list with a :you have to use following, in B and C, what is the need of the colon? you can simply say harmful effects including X, Y, Z. Thus B and C are clearly wrong. E needlessly and awckwardly expands 'imbalance in fish population' to "certain fish populations rising, certain fish populations falling" This makes it incorrect.
Between A and D: split is in "introduction of harmful chemicals to the ocean's environment" or "harmful chemicals entering the ocean’s environment". To maintain parallel structure with destruction/imbalance , we need to use a noun - thus inttroduction is prefered to entering.
Hence A
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.77
WE: Corporate Finance (Other)
Followers: 155

Kudos [?]: 511 [0], given: 527

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: erosion SC! [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2011, 00:34
Imho C, all parts after the ":" are parallel.

Follow me, if you find my explanations useful.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Director
Director
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: 1540 Q800 V740
Followers: 62

Kudos [?]: 282 [0], given: 11

Re: erosion SC! [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2011, 01:09
It should be (A).

(1) 'imbalance of the fish population' is parallel with 'the introduction of harmful chemicals....'
(2) Also, 'the introduction' is needed in the beginning to keep the parallel structure.

GyanOne | http://www.GyanOne.com | +91 9899831738

Get a free detailed MBA profile evaluation

Top MBA Rankings and MBA Admissions blog

Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 263

Kudos [?]: 1616 [0], given: 249

Re: erosion SC! [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2011, 02:02
Expert's post
No doubt ‘including the following’ is redundant. Between B and C that drop this phrase, C is better because the fourth arm of the list namely, ‘harmful chemicals entering the ocean’s environment’ in B is not the same as ‘the introduction of harmful chemicals to the ocean's environment’ in C both in meaning and //ism with other arms of the list.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.82
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 3

Re: erosion SC! [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2011, 14:11
+1 C. I was debating between B and C, but prefer C to B because C seems to preserve the meaning better than B.

Give me kudos if you like my post!

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 63 [1] , given: 34

GMAT Tests User
Re: erosion SC! [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2011, 17:48
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
AnkitK wrote:
Heightened land erosion, caused by human activity, has many negative effects including the following: algae blooms, coral reef destruction, imbalance of the fish population, and the introduction of harmful chemicals to the ocean's environment.

A) including the following: algae blooms, coral reef destruction, imbalance of the fish population, and the introduction of harmful chemicals to the ocean's environment.
B) including: algae blooms, coral reef destruction, imbalance of the fish population, and harmful chemicals entering the ocean's environment.
C) including: algae blooms, coral reef destruction, imbalance of the fish population, and the introduction of harmful chemicals to the ocean's environment.
D) including the following: algae blooms, coral reef destruction, imbalance of the fish population, and harmful chemicals entering the ocean’s environment.
E) including the following: algae blooms, coral reef destruction, certain fish populations rising, certain fish populations falling, and the introduction of harmful chemicals to the ocean’s environment.

Very nice explanation from senior member daagh about why "following" is mandatory here.

The basic essence of the use of colon is that the preceding clause lying before the mark, should not leave an inkling of incompleteness. It should stand by itself but more importantly should not tend to end abruptly in meaning before the colon and should not lean on the list for completing the meaning. Thus it becomes essential, wordy though, to use the word 'following'. B and C therefore fall by the wayside.

Among A, D and E, D breaks the sense of llism by using an absolute phrase ‘ harmful chemicals entering’ in the fourth arm of the list.
E distorts the meaning in trying to define imbalance of fish population in a weird day.

Maintaining perfect llism, A stands out as the eligible choice, IMO.

"Giving kudos" is a decent way to say "Thanks" and motivate contributors. Please use them, it won't cost you anything.
Thanks Rphardu

Manager
Manager
WE 1: 5.5+ years IT Prof.

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 24

GMAT Tests User
Re: erosion SC! [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2011, 10:31
I'm stuck between B and C, but eventually selected C for parallel structure...

OA plz?
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 26

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: erosion SC! [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2011, 02:41
I prefer 'B' as i also support that 'following' can be discarded and "introduction" is also not appropriate

Please press KUDOS if you like my post

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Aidha
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V37
GMAT 2: 620 Q49 V27
GMAT 3: 700 Q49 V36
WE: Other (Other)

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 43

GMAT Tests User
Re: erosion SC! [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2011, 06:07
rphardu wrote:
AnkitK wrote:

Very nice explanation from senior member daagh about why "following" is mandatory here.

The basic essence of the use of colon is that the preceding clause lying before the mark, should not leave an inkling of incompleteness. It should stand by itself but more importantly should not tend to end abruptly in meaning before the colon and should not lean on the list for completing the meaning. Thus it becomes essential, wordy though, to use the word 'following'. B and C therefore fall by the wayside.

Among A, D and E, D breaks the sense of llism by using an absolute phrase ‘ harmful chemicals entering’ in the fourth arm of the list.
E distorts the meaning in trying to define imbalance of fish population in a weird day.

I agree that the use of following is required here. I had noted from somewhere (dnt remember where so Can't give due credit), that colon should not be used at following places:

1). After such as or including

All of the old gang were there, including : Mush Head, Beaver, Sparky, and Mole.- Incorrect colon use

2). Directly after a form of verb be

The three most popular composers of classical music, according to the poll, are : Bach, Mozart, and Beethoven.- Incorrect colon use

3). Between a verb and its object or between a preposition and its object.

The tourists went to: Toronto, Montreal, and Quebec.- Incorrect colon use

If my post did a dance in your mind, send me the steps through kudos :)

My MBA journey at http://mbadilemma.wordpress.com/

Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 263

Kudos [?]: 1616 [0], given: 249

Re: erosion SC! [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2011, 07:55
Expert's post
Yes, I agree; following is indeed required to complete the sentence. A is the right answer.

However, there is an interesting aside to this issue, which I saw just now. An honorable member by name rpardhu has observed the following about me saying “very nice explanation from senior member daagh about why "following" is mandatory here”. One can see the sarcasm there

But the funny part is that I never explained any such thing about ‘following’ so nicely. Nor did I say ‘following’ is mandatory

I simply said that ‘no doubt following is redundant’. Probably our honorable member did not know the difference between redundant and mandatory.

To help him understand, let me make it clear the mandatory means required by authority or compulsory; redundant means superfluous or excess. I think this should help our honorable member. However, considering that everybody is human and everybody is error-prone, I will ignore this allusion.

Current Student
Affiliations: Beta Gamma Sigma - Business Honors Society, FINRA Securities Licenses, CA Insurance Licenses
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.47
WE: Sales (Retail Banking)

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 8

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: erosion SC! [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2011, 13:19
I originally thought D or A... i went with D and was thrown off with the "following"...thought it was redundant

Brandon Hoffman
http://www.linkedin.com/in/bdhoffman

Management Leadership of Tomorrow (MLT) - MBA Programs Fellow
MLT LA Chapter - Board Member / Recruiting Officer
Net Impact - Professional Chapter Co-President
MBADiversity Organization - Global Fellow, CHINA

Current Student
Affiliations: Beta Gamma Sigma - Business Honors Society, FINRA Securities Licenses, CA Insurance Licenses
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.47
WE: Sales (Retail Banking)

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 8

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: erosion SC! [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2011, 13:21
GMATmission wrote:
rphardu wrote:
AnkitK wrote:

I agree that the use of following is required here. I had noted from somewhere (dnt remember where so Can't give due credit), that colon should not be used at following places:

1). After such as or including

All of the old gang were there, including : Mush Head, Beaver, Sparky, and Mole.- Incorrect colon use

2). Directly after a form of verb be

The three most popular composers of classical music, according to the poll, are : Bach, Mozart, and Beethoven.- Incorrect colon use

3). Between a verb and its object or between a preposition and its object.

The tourists went to: Toronto, Montreal, and Quebec.- Incorrect colon use

thank you for COLON refresher :D

Brandon Hoffman
http://www.linkedin.com/in/bdhoffman

Management Leadership of Tomorrow (MLT) - MBA Programs Fellow
MLT LA Chapter - Board Member / Recruiting Officer
Net Impact - Professional Chapter Co-President
MBADiversity Organization - Global Fellow, CHINA

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: erosion SC! [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2011, 10:42
+1 for C. What's the OA and source?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 15

Re: erosion SC! [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2011, 17:12
I pick A. Somehow, 'including :' does not seem right. Otherwise, would have picked C.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 46

Re: erosion SC! [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2011, 07:01
My answer is B.

@AnkitK - Whats OA?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What you do TODAY is important because you're exchanging a day of your life for it!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: erosion SC! [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2011, 09:21
there are two splits
1) "the following", which is reduntant
2) parallel structures - blooms, destruction, imbalance and the introduction are ||
C fixes both errors.

Thanks and Regards,
GM.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: erosion SC! [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2011, 00:23
the following is redundant, after we use ':'. Between B and C, i go for C. OA and source please.
Re: erosion SC!   [#permalink] 24 Oct 2011, 00:23