Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Oct 2014, 20:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Hello! Could you please evaluate my profile?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Hello! Could you please evaluate my profile? [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2006, 23:42
Male, white UK national, 28 (29 in Jan)

1st (not sure how this relates to GPA but my final mark was above 95th percentile) in BEng Software Engineering from mid tier UK university

750 GMAT (49Q, 42V)

3.5 years experience in large software house that develops asset management systems. Was quite a varied role, primarily development but it also involved aspects of consulting and issue management. As part of this role I worked in the US for a month, helping with the implementation of systems for several important US clients. Promoted 3 times, started as a grad hire and left as a Senior Analyst (certainly the youngest person of this level in the department and possibly the youngest in the company). Little 'people' management experience gained, although I did get promoted to team leader just before leaving. I certainly gained a lot of issue and project management, and the trip to the US really changed my perception of country (for the better :) ).

Since leaving that role about 1.5 yrs ago I have been working at a tier 1 ibank on the gov bonds trading floor doing operations management. This is an associate position and I have been promoted twice, first to team lead and now to floor lead. I have 2 directs now and will have several more when the promotion becomes official. The role basically involves ensuring the trading & sales systems run smoothly, so I manage incidents, work on new projects, teach new traders how to use apps, investigate pricing / electronic trading problems etc.

Before the ibank role I thought the traders would all be massively intelligent :roll: , but working with them and realising they are not has given me the appetite to move into the business side myself - hence the MBA. I'm probably about 1-2 years from making VP, however I have been told if you make it to VP you have almost no chance of changing track internally, as people question your motives. Also any internal moves are done on the same $$ and title, so moving from a well paid tech ops job to the business side is very hard. I have been to New York as part of this role, although my job is for the most part desk bound!

Unfortunately I have limited to no extra currics, working 60-70 hr weeks including weekends doesn't really lend itself to volunteering, but I realise this is probably not a valid excuse in the eyes of ad comms. In my spare time I enjoy skiing, snowboarding, reading, marine fish keeping :food , and going to lectures / debates.

I am very late in the applications process, due to underestimating the difficulty of the GMAT and having to retake it, and being sent to NY mid November. I am looking at applying to LBS (round 3 out of 4) and Oxford. I would love to go to a school on mainland Europe, such as IESE or INSEAD, but I don't think I can sell it to my girlfriend.

Post MBA I would like to work as a fund or portfolio manager, with trading as a secondary consideration. I think LBS is a good choice to achieve this, however I'm not so sure about Oxford - although I love the idea of going to Said. I also live in London so I'm not sure I could break out of my current lifestyle and get fully into the swing of LBS life, that said I do know how to party :wave

Any thoughts on my school choices and my chances of late admission?

Thanks
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 50

[#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2006, 12:53
Expert's post
I think your career story ties to your reasons for wanting an MBA pretty well. As you seem to already know, one weakness for your is your lack of community service. But this is NOT adeal breaker. The things that adcomms look for in community service -- caring about those around you, going beyond your regular job description to get involved and make things better -- can be demonstrated in your actualy day job, too.

Also, even though you're at a bank now, you will probably look like a techie to adcomms... Think about how to overcome the techie stereotypes of bad communication skills, no business savvy, etc. Your letters of recommendation can help here.

Your chances at LBS are probably decent if you can do what I mention above. Sounds like you're rushing your application a little... Be sure to only submit it when it's at its best... Remember, the competition is very tough!

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2006, 04:05
Thanks Scott, I will certainly take your advice on board. My role involves dealing with MD's and other big cheeses on an almost daily basis, so hopefully I can get this across in my app to overcome the techie stereotype.