Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 16:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Hello GMAT experts! Need your words of Wisdom!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Hello GMAT experts! Need your words of Wisdom! [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2013, 14:41
Hey Guys,

Let me start with an introductions. I am a long time reader of this forum but just signed up to be a member. I am a 26y old male that spent the majority of my life in India. I have a Bachelors Degree in Mechanical Engineering and came to the US in 2008 to get a Masters in Industrial Engineering with a Manufacturing focus. I went to the university of texas( arlington) and graduated in 2010 with a 3.7 GPA. Even before I graduated, I had a job with a Fortune 500 Manufacturing Giant.

I moved to North Carolina in 2010 and have been working for the aforementioned manufacturing company ever since. In a short time, I have established myself and management sees me moving into a management position in a couple of years. Since my mind has always been to go into operations management, I decided to prepare myself by getting an MBA. After researching all through 2012, I decided that the Cross Continent MBA program from Duke would be the best bet for me. I had my interview with them in Q4 last year and they seemed interested in my profile. They did however want me to take the GMAT just to strengthen my application.

I decided to pay for one of the top prep companies for the GMAT and took up a 8 week course. Throughout the classes, I seemed to be pretty strong in answering questions and was consistently getting 3 out of 4 questions right. While I did not practice too much the first month( work schedules are crazy) I took Fridays off all through Feb to prepare for my test. I took my first GMAT Prep Test on Feb 19th and scored a 650(Q 40 V 39) (Missed 4 questions in quants due to pacing). Having taken both verbal and quant diagnostics from the test prep company, I figured my weaknesses were Data sufficiency questions( Percent, exponent, geometry) and Sentence correction. So I spent one of the last two weeks before the test shoring up my strengths( I worked out the Arithmetic, Algebra and Geometry manuals in their entirety). The last week before my test, I started working on Data sufficiency questions and figured out a new strategy to attack some of them.

Now comes what I feel was the biggest mistake through my prep for the test. Since work schedules did not allow me to take the entire week off, I got Thursday off( Now that I think back, it was stupid to have scheduled the exam for a Friday). Anyways long story short, I ran a practice marathon a day before the actual one. I was nervous and focused on pace rather than working on each problem. I finished the test and disaster- I scored a 630(Q 37 V 39). A 20 point drop from prep 1 even though I finished all the questions this time. I became extremely nervous and figured my attempts at improving data sufficiency did not in fact work. So I spent the rest of the day working DS problems and just before going to bed read through the sentence correction guide all over again.

D-Day:
I woke up at 5 AM. Got ready to go to the test. Then browsed my index cards and cheat sheets for about an hour and left my place at 7 AM. The test center was 10 mins away.So I reached there way ahead of my 8 AM start time. Went through the security checks and started my test at 8. The AWA session went okay. It was a really boring topic and since it was such a dry topic, was hard to pick on points to shoot the author with. I still managed to figure it out, used my standard template and finished the section a min before time ran out.

Then moved to IR. Once again started with a really long paragraph with two data tabs. For some reason( maybe because I was nervous) I was skimming through the text. Then read the question and had to go back and read it again( did not pay attention the first time around). This had 3 questions to go with it. I found myself going back to the tabs more than I normally did in my practice tests. I worked through the questions and ran out of time when I came to the 11th question. Ended up missing the last one.

Took the option break and ate a banana, drank some water and talked to myself that it was going to be okay. I got into the Quant section with this mentality. The first few questions were problem solving and i was getting the answers pretty quickly( under 2 mins) and seemed to be getting them right. Then a couple of rate problems. Then came my achilles heel- DS. I get one question answer it, get another one that was seemingly harder got it too, then one more harder?, then I am thinking Am I doing well or it is giving me more of these because I am screwing it up. After answering about 8 DS questions, I got taken to what I thought was a simple geometry question( I actually was getting Geometry questions at 95% hit rate during my study sessions). So without putting too much thought into it, I moved on and kept working problems which for some reason didnt seem challenging enough plus I had not encountered a Combinatorics or Probability question yet. Until question 32 or so which is when I saw one( nothing too complicated). I finished the quant section a min ahead of time and moved on to Verbal.

Verbal went the okay( never been able to say if I was doing well or not.) and I was more interested in finishing the test and seeing my score than actually spending time on each question to apply my strategies. I found myself skimming through RCs once again. I did get to a couple of really hard CR questions in the middle( method, Inference, plan etc) that I thought meant I was doing really well. This gave me some confidence because I thought that this could help me overcome my quant mistakes. I finish the exam, click on Submit score since I figured I did decently enough and BOOM! The test score pops up; I feel a drop of sweat roll down my forehead; Q 37 V 37 TOTAL 620. I was shocked. At the same time figured that I may have screwed up somewhere in the last two weeks of my prep. By the time I walked out of the test center, I had already decided that I was better than this and I would retake the exam within the next month.

So here I am. 1 month to go for my application deadline. Plan to write take my second attempt right before applying. Target still remains 700+. I remember my instructor giving us an example of Tiger Woods- How he would change his swing every so many years and every time he changed his swing, he would take 3 months before he got it all right again. I think I changed my swing too close to the test. So I am going to spend the next month getting to that magic 700.

Here is what I have in mind.

1. Perform a SWOT analysis.
2. Create an error log
2. Spend 2-3 hours a day working on weaknesses( Plan to use my test prep material I paid out of my nose for, MGMAT practice tests, GMAT club problems)
3. 1 practice test every saturday.
4. Spend Sunday reviewing the SWOT and update according to Error logs and practice test results; Draft plan for the following week.
5. Repeat for 4 weeks.
6. Take GMAT- Hit 700+( hopefully)

Here is where you come in. I want you to use your expertise and GMAT cracking powers to shoot holes in my plan, suggest additions, suggest a whole different plan or just give me tips and tricks to get to that 700. I have seen enough good threads in this forum that I hope to hear great responses from the members here. Thanks in advance for any advise you can provide.

I will be posting frequent updates on this thread on my progress so hopefully one day this thread will turn into a guide for future GMAT takers who find themselves in the same position as me.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 289

Kudos [?]: 663 [0], given: 6

Re: Hello GMAT experts! Need your words of Wisdom! [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2013, 16:54
Expert's post
Hi BlueDevil,

You should definitely not schedule your exam on a Friday. We recommend scheduling a Monday (take off Friday if you can) - or take it on Tuesday (in which case you would take off Monday). That would give you several days in a row to prepare mentally and review everything in studied in the past month or so.

Interesting, earlier today we received a video testimonial from someone similar to you - Indian male applicant from North Carolina - at first I thought you were the same person. But clearly your story is different.

Doing a full length practice test on a Saturday morning is a good idea. Then spend the rest of the day reviewing your mistakes there. We recently released a beta diagnostic here: http://www.gmatpill.com/official-guide-gmat

Feel free to use this online error log to keep track of your progress: http://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-test/

Do NOT let IR affect your psychology because the main show begins with Quant and Verbal. So if you don't finish IR - so be it. Just move on and focus when it actually matters.

Based on your score, I would focus my prep first on DS and then on PS. Quant seems to be your bottleneck at the moment.

If you travel a lot and would like to maximize your GMAT study efficiency on-the-go, be sure to download GMAT apps (including the GMAT Pill app) to help you along the way.

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Re: Hello GMAT experts! Need your words of Wisdom!   [#permalink] 11 Mar 2013, 16:54