Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Apr 2014, 07:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Help! 2 year MiM @ LSE

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Help! 2 year MiM @ LSE [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2011, 21:01
Hello Guys,

Recently I got an unconditional offer from LSE for 2 year Msc in Management (2011-13 program).
During the application process I had done some research as to the reputation of masters programs at lse.
However now that I have got the offer & some other application like oxford MBA, Essec MiM, Mannheim MBA still pending in verdict, I am forced to look at my returns from studying mim from LSE. I already have a 2.5 year exp from an engg consultant firm.

pros:
worldwide recognition of LSE
study at london-one ofthe biggest business hubs
wide network of alumni & affliated business

cons:
2 year Mim is new program of LSE
Mim is not the flagship program of LSE
cost is quite high ( approx 20000 GBP per year + living exp)
prevalent job market scenario in UK

do the pros weigh over the cons? I would highly appreciate if some one can show me light in making a rational decision.
Manager
Manager
Schools: LBS
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: Help! 2 year MiM @ LSE [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2011, 13:37
I don't really see the point of LSE creating the 2 years programme when they already have a 1 year programme covering almost the same things... but anyways, my advice would be to wait for Said's MBA decision. Having 2.5 years of working experience, I don't find very useful doing a MiM programme. If you get into Said, GREAT!!! IF not, I would continue working 1-2more years and reapply to MBAs... :)
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Help! 2 year MiM @ LSE [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2011, 04:43
i got in there as well last year, deferred. however, as far as i have seen it compared to other MiM programs, this is the one you will take the most out of. brand name is bigger than LBS, maybe not oxford, and you will learn much more than the one year programs. the management dep at lse says it is their flagship program and put most resources in it.

however, w 2.5 yrs of work exp, you should see mba-s for yourself. i mean at the end of the day, msc degrees in business will always be less regarded as an MBA, which is a degree that builds on experience. for those, US unis win hands down. lse competes in a different segment, id say it is more on the theory/research aspect of management. however, if you want to do that, than the 2 years will be good, and the name is surely strong as LSE had bon voyage events in the states in the summer in almost all major cities for american admits.

so it depends where you want to head. i got no work exp, but am torn btw 2yr vs 1 yr MiM programs..
Intern
Intern
Schools: HEC
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 5

Re: Help! 2 year MiM @ LSE [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2011, 22:40
Be careful. Is the Mannheim program an MBA or the Mannheim MSc Management? Mannheim's MSc Management is far more respected than its MBA program.

If you had to chose between MiM @ LSE and an MBA at Mannheim you should go for LSE anytime.

MGMAT 1 - 580 - Q36 V33
MGMAT 2 - 650 - Q44 V35
GMAT 1 - 690 - Q48 V38
MGMAT 3 - 680 - Q47 V36
MGMAT 4 - 690 - Q44 V39
GMAT 2 - 700 - Q48 V37

Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.33
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Help! 2 year MiM @ LSE [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2011, 22:55
Hi
I am jai from India.just completed engineering in biotech with cgpa of abt 8.34
I do not hav any work exp.At the moment, i am preparing for GMAT,will giv it in sept.Aiming for LBS MiM 2012 programme
I want to know how much of a chance i stand if i get a GMAT score of about 700.My extra cirriculars are average.was an active elocutionist and quizzer in school.I also help my father with his pharmaceuticals business but not on a full time basis.
Also what would my job prospects be?Is this degree recognised everywhere in the world? Considering the downturn in the UK would i be eligible for jobs elsewhere like singapore,australia etc?
Re: Help! 2 year MiM @ LSE   [#permalink] 21 Jul 2011, 22:55