Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 08:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Help!! 650 to 630

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Help!! 650 to 630 [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2006, 19:19
HELP!! I need some advice ….

I have taken GMAT two times. The first time in Dec’05 and the second in Feb’06 and scored 650 (Q 49, V30) and 630 (Q45, V31) respectively. The second time, I was a bit unfortunate because I caught cold/cough four days before the exam and still had some residual effect on exam day, so I had to take Tylenol before writing the exam.

With my background I would definitely need 700 to be in consideration for NYU.

Here is what I have done so far:
OG SC – couple of times, looked at answers of both the Qs I got right & the ones I got wrong.
OG RC & CR – once.
MGMAT SC book – once.
Practice tests:
Kaplan CATs – 520, 540, 580 in that order.
PR Online CAT – 640.
GMAT Club – browse anytime I get a chance.

I finished the quant on the first actual test 20 min. before so this time I spent more time on the initial questions hoping - not to make any mistakes this time. This strategy backfired!! I was seriously short of time towards the end and actually guessed on the last 4-5 questions.

Over all, I believe, verbal is my nemesis. I went through MGMAT SC book, OG and some of the 1000 SC found on this site BUT somehow I AM NOT ABLE TO DO THE VERBAL SECTION fast enough!!! When not timed I get more than 80% of the SCs correct. On verbal section I always have to guess the last 6-12 questions because I run short of time.

Also, I may not be a very good test taker. I like to go after concepts and have a tough time using brute force methods such as in the quant. section. I rarely like to use back solving method.

Here are my questions:
How can I increase my speed in the verbal section???? What else could I do to increase my score??? Do you see anything glaringly lacking in my prep.? Please advise I really need some help here…..
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 198 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2006, 12:12
For the timing problem, I would suggest you form the habit of checking your clock in the middle to adjust your speed. That should ensure you fully use your time but still have time to finish. I would normally check my clock every 10 questions or so.

For verbal, you should first identify where your weakness is. Is it SC, RC, or CR? Where do you always answer incorrectly? Which part you spend the most time on?

Keep on asking, and it will be given you;
keep on seeking, and you will find;
keep on knocking, and it will be opened to you.

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2006, 16:15
If you read the OG 11th ed. carefully, the initial pages that detail the tests there is a section about myths about the GMAT CAT. One of them is getting the first 4 -5 correct gets you a higher score !!!!

In my practice tests at home with the GMAT Prep, I got the second question wrong in quant and one more wrong before the 10 th question. I still ended up with 760.

During practice, I always used a stopwatch no matter what book I was practicing from. It forces you to always stay within time limits. My take is that no more than 2 min's per question. I you are in doubt after that, you probably are going to get ti wrong anyway so whats the point in wasting more time.
Intern
Intern

Thank You [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2006, 20:06
Thank you so much - HongHu & bskoolkarma.

I really appreciate your help and advice. This time I will use a stop clock and make sure I have a very good sense of how much time I have left and never to exceed 1.5 - 2 min on any question.
Thanks
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 198 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Thank You [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2006, 08:24
nothingless wrote:
Thank you so much - HongHu & bskoolkarma.

I really appreciate your help and advice. This time I will use a stop clock and make sure I have a very good sense of how much time I have left and never to exceed 1.5 - 2 min on any question.
Thanks

Actually, I don't think you need to be this rigid. In the test there are problems of different difficulties. I wouldn't mind spending a little over 2 minutes if I'm almost getting the solution on a question, because I know there would be questions that I can do in only 30 seconds. If you spend over 3 minutes and still not getting anywhere then you definitely need to stop. What I normally do is to check the cloce every five or ten questions to make sure I'm on track.

Keep on asking, and it will be given you;
keep on seeking, and you will find;
keep on knocking, and it will be opened to you.

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2006, 19:08
bskoolkarma wrote:
If you read the OG 11th ed. carefully, the initial pages that detail the tests there is a section about myths about the GMAT CAT. One of them is getting the first 4 -5 correct gets you a higher score !!!!

I don't know if I believe this, though. Isn't the test adaptive? How then, will the computer know how to adapt if it doesn't glean information from your performance on the earlier part of the test?
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2006, 12:10
Let's have hypothetical difficulty levels from 1-10. I am assuming that the test is smart enough so that say if you got one level 6 question wrong does not mean you are stuck to scores below 6. However if you got a bunch of level 6 questions wrong in a sequence you probably will see the test testing you more thoroughly around and below level 6. Now if I get a level 6 wrong the test may try a couple of level 5's and If I get that correct, it is back testing you at level's 6 and higher. So that way a one off error in the early stages will definitely effect your score but will not have a very very bad effect.

A lot of people I have talked to about gmat scoring beleive that it is a upside down tree structured thing and once you get one wrong you are forced on one side of the tree or the other side and they stress too much on the first questions and many times run out of time. I think it is more like a tree where the branches are actually connected at levels below.

I personally think that the key is not to get a sequence of questions ( 4-5 in a row would be bad I think ) wrong because that is in essense pushing you way off in the tree to one side and you will have a tough time coming back to the other side.
  [#permalink] 16 Feb 2006, 12:10