Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 13:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

HELP!!! Devastated after getting a 420 on the GMAT

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc.
Concentration: International Business, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.77
WE: Other (Military & Defense)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

HELP!!! Devastated after getting a 420 on the GMAT [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2013, 07:35
Hello everybody,

I don't know what to write or how to write, because I am so much frustrated. But I still want to write and need your suggesstions desperately.

I am a 28 YO, Air Force member who completed my BS in January 2012 (I was taking classes while active duty). When I separate in January from the Air Force, I will have 6 years of military experience in government contracting and wanted to use it along with my accolades towards getting into business school but my dreams are quickly diminishing.

So after studying for the last three months for the GMAT, I took it yesterday and got a 420 (Q: 26 & V 21). On my practices tests , I was getting in the low 600s and upper 500s so for me to get this is disparaging to say the least. But how do I (or can I) recover from this?

I'd like to get a score that is at least in the 600s, but more that anything I want to get into a top MBA program.

Guys, believe me, I am not dumb or foolish. I have seen many people comparable with my ability level has scored 550+ having a preparation like me. Now, I am thinking myself as the Biggest Looser of everything in this world. I am not talking with my family or friends, I am not eating properly, tried to sleep but couldn't do that also.......I HAVE LOST ALL MY CONFIDENCE but I want this more than anything.

I have been trying to figure out if I should retake the GMAT or just take the GRE instead. All of the schools I am applying to accept both, but which should I do?

PLEASE HELP!!!!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 18

Re: HELP!!! Devastated after getting a 420 on the GMAT [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2013, 01:12
This post received
KUDOS
Brother, take a vacation (Labor day weekend), do not think about GMAT, MBA program; and come back next week with us.
Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.96
WE: Research (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 126

Re: HELP!!! Devastated after getting a 420 on the GMAT [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2013, 02:45
WatsonFH wrote:
Hello everybody,

I don't know what to write or how to write, because I am so much frustrated. But I still want to write and need your suggesstions desperately.

I am a 28 YO, Air Force member who completed my BS in January 2012 (I was taking classes while active duty). When I separate in January from the Air Force, I will have 6 years of military experience in government contracting and wanted to use it along with my accolades towards getting into business school but my dreams are quickly diminishing.

So after studying for the last three months for the GMAT, I took it yesterday and got a 420 (Q: 26 & V 21). On my practices tests , I was getting in the low 600s and upper 500s so for me to get this is disparaging to say the least. But how do I (or can I) recover from this?

I'd like to get a score that is at least in the 600s, but more that anything I want to get into a top MBA program.

Guys, believe me, I am not dumb or foolish. I have seen many people comparable with my ability level has scored 550+ having a preparation like me. Now, I am thinking myself as the Biggest Looser of everything in this world. I am not talking with my family or friends, I am not eating properly, tried to sleep but couldn't do that also.......I HAVE LOST ALL MY CONFIDENCE but I want this more than anything.

I have been trying to figure out if I should retake the GMAT or just take the GRE instead. All of the schools I am applying to accept both, but which should I do?

PLEASE HELP!!!!

Dont worry WatsonPH! its absolutely fine... take a break and redirect your energies to a retake...! theres a lot of help here on GMAT club...try considering professional help for verbal, e-gmat, they are good !
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V34

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 3

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: HELP!!! Devastated after getting a 420 on the GMAT [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2013, 11:36
Losing sucks. Every (insert expletive here) time!
BUT (a hairy one) you are not alone...
Every person here has experienced it in some earth-shattering form or the other (or is experiencing it right now)

Don't feel bad just because you scored a 420. Rather, acknowledge the fact that you could not achieve your goal, say a score of 600.
And even if you feel like "the biggest loser" right now, DONT GIVE UP!!!
Draw on the lessons you learnt from your military experience and apply them here.

Take the time out to unwind as suggested and come back to this.
Define THE GOAL in your own terms, meaning don't compare your performance with others (for now atleast).
Seek advice and create a plan (preferably with checkpoints).

You will do better. That's for sure!
The "when" and the "how" is up to you.

Let's hear again from you when you win!
Cheers!
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 317 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: HELP!!! Devastated after getting a 420 on the GMAT [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2013, 22:56
Expert's post
WatsonFH wrote:
Hello everybody,

PLEASE HELP!!!!

How were your grades? Have you take a practice GRE? How did you do on it? Was your BS via correspondence and CLEPs? What is your major?

How did you prepare for the GMAT? Can you afford a course or a tutor?

Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog