Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 03:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

HELP - exam tomorrow and LARGE range of practice scores

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

HELP - exam tomorrow and LARGE range of practice scores [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2009, 08:52
So I have my exam tomorrow morning at 8am :|

I have been taking tests for the past 3 months...I have been doing 3-4 tests per week for the past 3 weeks and my scores have ranged from 590 to 660!

Last week I took the first GMATPrep test and it was a 660, I took the second one this morning and it was 600!? I want at least a 650+ I have been going over all my mistakes and studying A LOT!

Any advice, help please!!!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 143 [0], given: 0

Re: HELP - exam tomorrow and LARGE range of practice scores [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2009, 09:58
Hi sheilaoak,

Since the exam is tomorrow morning, nothing much can be done but just keep your cool. You should try to content yourself with whatever you've done till now.

If you're in a habit of studying till the last minute, then just do it; I will not advise you to chill and relax. I mean, different things work for different people so just be yourself.

Few points:
-----------------------------
1.) Just ensure that you don't forget basic formulas during the exam time. That's one thing, which should not happen at all. For ex., How do we calculate compound interest? What's the formula for computing area of hexagon?

2.) Read all options and then decide the best one. Many a times it happens that just by reading the first or second option, we conclude that it's 'THE' answer choice. So, when we proceed to other options, our mind has already decided what to mark (as the answer choice) though that may not be the correct answer choice.

This type of case especially happens with CR questions. Some options that look like the remotest one or even don't look like something to be considered at all, actually are the correct ones. Why we mistake here is that our mind already decided the final answer choice so it just could not accept anything else worth considering for.

To sum up, please don't get biased and treat every option with a free mind.

3.) Spend more time on first few ones (7-10 questions) but if there is some really hard one among these, don't spend too much time on that question; just move on further. Only because first few questions matter a lot doesn't mean that you'll end up guessing the last 7-10 questions due to paucity of time. Also, try not to commit mistakes in a row for ex., question no. 15, 16, 17 (all wrong).

You must be thinking that how can I know what I am marking as a correct choice and what I am marking as a wrong choice? What I only mean to say here is that keep you cool while solving the current question after you've encountered a tough previous one.
-----------------------------

That's all from my side. I hope you'll do good. You too should feel the same. After all, you've worked hard, isn't it?

Lastly, pray to God (if you aren't an atheist). :wink:

Regards,
Technext

Disclaimer: The views expressed here are personal and has no relation whatsoever with anyone. :)

+++ Believe me, it doesn't take much of an effort to underline SC questions. Just try it out. +++
+++ Please tell me why other options are wrong. +++

~~~ The only way to get smarter is to play a smarter opponent. ~~~

Intern
Intern

Re: HELP - exam tomorrow and LARGE range of practice scores [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2009, 10:30
Hi Technext,

Thanks a bunch...I am def going to do some practice problems tonight...I think you are totally right about the CR qs and me 2nd guessing myself way too much

Thanks again...fingers crossed I will do well...

I am not an atheist (at least not for today and tomorrow)...I can use all the help I can get :shock:
VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 150 [0], given: 12

Re: HELP - exam tomorrow and LARGE range of practice scores [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2009, 13:16
Review the OG quant questions. Relax during test day and do not get stressed. If you are stuck on a question for more than 3 minutes, you need to guess and move on.

In quant, if a question seems too easy, double and triple check your answer. This is extremely important.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: St Gallen, Cambridge, HEC Montreal
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

Re: HELP - exam tomorrow and LARGE range of practice scores [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2009, 13:22
Intern
Intern

Re: HELP - exam tomorrow and LARGE range of practice scores [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2009, 12:38
Thanks so much for everyone's support and help...unfortunately I ended up getting a 590 AGAIN...I really think I need to practice in different environments...I am totally capable of getting up to a 660 (as I did on some practice tests) and it was really frustrating not getting even close to that on the actual test :?

:? Third times the charm...i hope
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2326

Kudos [?]: 9457 [0], given: 3702

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: HELP - exam tomorrow and LARGE range of practice scores [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2009, 13:01
Expert's post
Thanks for your report on the test.

You should be able to get past the 600 barrier. If you getting the same GMAT score twice in a row, you are probably not studying the right elements.
From the time I have been around, the main reasons for a low score are:
1. Holes in fundamentals and lack of strong framework in Math and Verbal - requires to go thoroughly through prep books you have not done - these are guidewooks and workbooks and not tests
2. Lack of full test practice - yes 4.5 hours of your life is wasted each time.
3. Studying using tests rather than guidebooks
4. Timing issues

All of these can be addressed but may require a different amount of time and possibly different resources. I assume you have looked through this forum for the success stories to see what test takers with 700+ used, but you may also want to take a look at this thread: t74310-recommendations-for-best-gmat-prep-books - maybe something from the recommended list will hit your weak spot

Definitely do not give up - it is really a matter of putting quality time into it (can be very difficult but if you want a high score, you have to dedicate quality time and resources).
Keep us updated on your progress and don't hesitate to ask any questions in the Math or Verbal forums.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: HELP - exam tomorrow and LARGE range of practice scores   [#permalink] 27 Feb 2009, 13:01