Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 20:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Help: Falling scores and soaring worry

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Help: Falling scores and soaring worry [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2010, 04:00
Hi All,

Firstly, thanks a lot to each and every one of the contributors for sharing their views and making this a wonderful platform. I have been around this forum for quite a while but this is my first post.

My GMAT is scheduled for 10th Sept 2010 and I have been self-preparing for it for the last two months.

At this stage in my prep process I have been concentrating on solving as many Practice Tests as I can and have seen a upward trend in my scores.

However, off late as the number of practice tests that I am doing is increasing, instead of improving, my scores have started falling and this is really bothering me. I am very scared that I may be doing something wrong which is affecting my scores adversely.

Could anyone of you please share your thoughts on what is that I may doing wrong or more importantly what is it that I can do right in the limited time that I have to make sure that my scores are back on track.

I would really appreciate any input I can receive at this stage which will help me rectify the trend.

Below is the summary of my performance on the tests that I have taken:

1. GMAT Prep (No preparation): 480/800
2. GMAT Prep (Post 1 month prep): 680/800
3. Platinum GMAT: 630/800
4. Veritas Prep: 660/800
5. Knewton Prep: 660/800
6. CatPrep GMAT Simulator: 660/800
7. Princeton Review (Free Test): 620/800
8. 800Score: 660/800
9. Princeton Review (Test-1): 640/800
10. Princeton Review (Test-2): 590/800
11. 800Score: 560/8000
12. Princeton Review (Test-3): 580/800

Thanks in advance and I am eagerly looking forward to hearing from you.

Please advice.
Warm Regards, SG.
Knewton GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Followers: 58

Kudos [?]: 497 [1] , given: 157

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Help: Falling scores and soaring worry [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2010, 04:08
This post received
KUDOS
Hi SG, welcome to gmat club!! :)

I dont know for how many continuos days you are taking the CATs, but if you have been doing this for 5 or 6 days, then mind burning can be a reason for your low score. Normally experts advise not to take so many CATs before the test day because of the same reasoning (burn out).

I think you should go through some core concepts in next two days. After that you should take two gmat prep CATs, those scores will be the real reflectors of your abilities. Dont attempt for more CATs after gmat prep & spend the last two days with your family or friends. I personally have no experience with princeton. 800 score CATs are a bit tough in Quantitative section. So just take the gmat prep after two days to find your closest chance.

Best of luck & keep us posted. :)

[ From 470 to 680-My Story ] [ My Last Month Before Test ]
[ GMAT Prep Analysis Tool ] [ US. Business School Dashboard ] [ Int. Business School Dashboard ]

I Can, I Will

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 202 [1] , given: 52

Reviews Badge
Re: Help: Falling scores and soaring worry [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2010, 05:48
This post received
KUDOS
yeah i would stop with the practice tests and check your error log if you have one. Focus on what type of questions you get wrong th emost and learn the topics. The last couple of days you should relax your mind - maybe do a problem set or 2 or just review some problems you got wrong but dont do full tests. good luck!

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Chicago,Tuck,Oxford,cambridge
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 47 [2] , given: 7

Re: Help: Falling scores and soaring worry [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2010, 07:29
This post received
KUDOS
Hi saurabh,
I hope u r not taking many tests in just single day also u have not posted the day on which u took all these tests..its better if u try to find the details of ur mistake part and improve ur skills in it...taking tooo many tests will just make u more tiring..Just revise concepts for some days then again try giving the exam...u wiill find increase in ur score!!!
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Re: Help: Falling scores and soaring worry [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2010, 21:23
Dear All,

Thanks a lot for taking time out to help me and share your views.

I had been doing these tests continously @ 1 test everyday for as many days so your diagnosis of a possible burn out could be true as I was increasingly finding myself making silly mistakes and not reading the questions properly.

Over the past two days I have spent time reviewing Quant & Verbal basics and have stayed away from tests. So, lets see how things shape up from here.

Thanks once again and please do share your views on what you think I could do in these last few days to better equip myself for the 'D' day.

Warm Regards, SG.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Chicago,Tuck,Oxford,cambridge
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 7

Re: Help: Falling scores and soaring worry [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2010, 21:45
Hi saurabh,
Also try to go thru the list of idioms once just to recollect before exam it will be of great help..
Also Go thru the SC questions with answers from OG 12.just to learn why 4 ans choices were wrong and why this one was correct..It will add to ur score..Try doing same for DS questions with answers just see thru the answers it will also help u strategise things...
The whole thing wont take more than 6-7 hours of urs as u just have read the answers only to see the concepts used.....
in the last two days go thru the AWA 6.0 strategies mentioned in this forum.. ;)
All the best for ur exam
thanx
sandy
In the last
Retired Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Followers: 58

Kudos [?]: 497 [0], given: 157

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Help: Falling scores and soaring worry [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2010, 21:54
I love Jeff Dunham (Peanut & Walker). :) So I went through his "Spark of Insanity" & "Arguing with myself" during last three days before real test. That stuff was really great.

So my suggestion is to have fun before test. Watch movies, spend time with friends.

Best of luck.

[ From 470 to 680-My Story ] [ My Last Month Before Test ]
[ GMAT Prep Analysis Tool ] [ US. Business School Dashboard ] [ Int. Business School Dashboard ]

I Can, I Will

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Retired Moderator
Followers: 108

Kudos [?]: 236 [0], given: 33

Re: Help: Falling scores and soaring worry [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2010, 02:34
I would suggest not to decide your preparation at least based on Princeton Review's CATs as PR really sucks your score!

Posted from my mobile device Image

Funny, Interesting and Crazy Facts, Photos and Videos!
http://funnyinterestingcrazy.blogspot.co.uk/

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 40

Re: Help: Falling scores and soaring worry [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2010, 06:01
It looks like you've used 7 different cats from different providers so it's difficult to estimate an average due to lack of consistency. You're score breakdown would help too. Its only 4 days away so just determine your problem areas and hit'em hard! Good luck.

Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion!

Re: Help: Falling scores and soaring worry   [#permalink] 06 Sep 2010, 06:01