Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 23:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Help for CR questions...

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Apr 2003
Posts: 149
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Help for CR questions... [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2003, 05:58
Could someone help me or suggest me what would be a good way to tackle CR quesitons and where could i find strategies to handle these questions better. I have checked the likes of Kaplan and Princeton Review, but am not finding much of help or result :(.

Please suggest.

Thanks In advance.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
User avatar
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 12080
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2231

Kudos [?]: 8345 [0], given: 3645

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Help for CR questions... [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2003, 17:05
Expert's post
evensflow wrote:
Could someone help me or suggest me what would be a good way to tackle CR quesitons and where could i find strategies to handle these questions better. I have checked the likes of Kaplan and Princeton Review, but am not finding much of help or result :(.

Please suggest.

Thanks In advance.



Have you tried paraphrasing the CR passage ?
It helps me to understand...


Also, answering the question before reading the answer will be really helpful. How do you feel about this?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Apr 2003
Posts: 149
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Help for CR questions... [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2003, 02:53
bb wrote:
evensflow wrote:
Could someone help me or suggest me what would be a good way to tackle CR quesitons and where could i find strategies to handle these questions better. I have checked the likes of Kaplan and Princeton Review, but am not finding much of help or result :(.

Please suggest.

Thanks In advance.



Have you tried paraphrasing the CR passage ?
It helps me to understand...


Also, answering the question before reading the answer will be really helpful. How do you feel about this?



I am presently tryin on work on the same. I read quite a few stuff written by you on the queries asked by people on this forumn. I must say i have felt quite good after, the good thoughts expressed by you even in face low scrores initially. I am kinda a surpised packet here who scored 660 in the Diagnostic test w/o preparation but then dommned as low as 520 in some practice test after that, just to find that i am poor in CRs and SCs. While the latter i perfected to quite an extent but CRs is a real pain to me, considering that if i paraphrase the arguiment and try to answer it i am taking on an average 3 min per question which is poor. So, i am still working on it and will try to improve it.

Thanks for the advice again BB.... Your help has been appreciated a lot..
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
User avatar
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 12080
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2231

Kudos [?]: 8345 [0], given: 3645

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Help for CR questions... [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2003, 07:46
Expert's post
evensflow wrote:
bb wrote:
evensflow wrote:
Could someone help me or suggest me what would be a good way to tackle CR quesitons and where could i find strategies to handle these questions better. I have checked the likes of Kaplan and Princeton Review, but am not finding much of help or result :(.

Please suggest.

Thanks In advance.



Have you tried paraphrasing the CR passage ?
It helps me to understand...


Also, answering the question before reading the answer will be really helpful. How do you feel about this?



I am presently tryin on work on the same. I read quite a few stuff written by you on the queries asked by people on this forumn. I must say i have felt quite good after, the good thoughts expressed by you even in face low scrores initially. I am kinda a surpised packet here who scored 660 in the Diagnostic test w/o preparation but then dommned as low as 520 in some practice test after that, just to find that i am poor in CRs and SCs. While the latter i perfected to quite an extent but CRs is a real pain to me, considering that if i paraphrase the arguiment and try to answer it i am taking on an average 3 min per question which is poor. So, i am still working on it and will try to improve it.

Thanks for the advice again BB.... Your help has been appreciated a lot..


HEY!

Here is my tiny comment:

Basically paraphrasing is very representative of how you understand the passage. Often when you read a CR passage - it is short and pretty clear but then you can't paraphrase it without reading - this means that you did not quite grasp the passage. If you can't paraphrase it and you were going to start picking the answer - chances are, you won't pick the correct one. I would just get some crappy CR tests like some available in the TESTS section or there is actually a paraphrase exercise in the VERBAL LESSONS section and learn how to parphrase fast.

There is no secret about paraphrasing and it does not help you to answer the CR directly - it just helps you to understand the passage much better, which in trun lets you nail the answer.

Answering the question without looking though the answer choices is actually slightly faster than reading though answers. (you know what you are looking for, so you don't have to run each answer through the passage, it becomes a yes/no test). I usually spend 2-4 seconds trying to answer the passage on my own and then skim though the choices. (not perfect, but still a higher score :wink: )
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 05 Jul 2011
Posts: 68
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 14

Re: Help for CR questions... [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2011, 02:38
Dear bb, I just gave the Knewton CR Test. I scored a meager 23 on 30. I am worried about my Hit ratio. I have my GMAT in just 12 days and here I am erring like this... While analyzing my mistakes, it almost always happened that i knew whats the right answer if its not what i marked. That is, I have done mistakes after a correct 2-3 split. What do I do man??!! I am scoring a meager 690 (51Q-34V) in last 2 PR Tests and an "average" 710 (50Q-36V) (did 6 mistakes in SC out of 10- donno what got into my head that day :/ ) in GMAT Prep.
Worse did i perform in Manhattan's MGMAT free test (670)(47Q-34V). Save me with some good strategy to tackle hit ratio in CR or am doomed. I WANT 40 on Verbal..!!
_________________

---Winners do it differently---

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 11 Apr 2011
Posts: 268
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 214 [0], given: 13

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Help for CR questions... [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2011, 19:20
try powerscore cr bible
_________________

Powerscore CR Bible Full Chapter Notes | Easily Extend Vocabulary List with Google Dictionary

Please kudo me if you found my post useful. Thanks!!! :)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Jun 2010
Posts: 397
Location: United States
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Help for CR questions... [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2011, 23:04
I saw a nice and concise suggestion from a guy who murdered verbal. Switch off the timer and go SLOW. It helped me push my scores from high 20s to the 30s.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Re: Help for CR questions...   [#permalink] 17 Jul 2011, 23:04
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
1 CR Questions-Need Help saunakdey 3 06 Oct 2013, 06:30
Need help in cracking CR questions vaibhavmittal 8 26 Aug 2009, 17:44
CR Question help needed. Vavali 4 12 Feb 2008, 13:32
1 CR Question help needed. Vavali 10 11 Feb 2008, 08:37
CR 1000 - Questions [Help] pradyot 1 04 Apr 2006, 00:46
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Help for CR questions...

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.