Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 03:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

HELP! GMAT in 3 Days

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

HELP! GMAT in 3 Days [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2012, 06:50
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi everyone. I've studied super hard for about 3 weeks 6-8 hours a day but am still getting killed. Scoring about 550-560. My quantitative score is killing me.
The main issue is, I can't solve the 37 questions in 75 minutes. I always run out with about 5-7 questions left.
I understand how to solve all the problems and understand the concepts but I just can't do it in the required amount of time.

My main issue is data sufficiency. When the answer is E, it takes me forever to go through the options to find out that there is no solution with the given s1 and s2

I have to write the GMAT regardless in 3 days if I want to attend school in the fall and I just need to hit 600.

What should be my strategy be for the exam?

I'm thinking of guessing on every 6th question so that I am not guessing the last 5-7 in a row...
Would that plan work or would the computer see that I only took 5 seconds to guess every 6th question and penalize me?
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 484

Kudos [?]: 1977 [0], given: 29

Re: HELP! GMAT in 3 Days [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2012, 09:22
Expert's post
Hi, there. I'm happy to help. :)

First of all, you may find this blog about skipping vs. guessing useful ----
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/guessing-a ... -the-gmat/

Second of all, it's very important to understand the distinction between blind guessing (any of the 5 answers could be correct) vs. eliminating one or more answers and guessing from the remaining answer (what GMAC calls "solution behavior"). The former, on average, will not bring you any net gain, but the latter will, on average, increase your score. In particular, remember on DS --- you almost always can eliminate some answers. Suppose you determine the individual statements are insufficient by themselves --- then the answer would have to be (C) or (E). If you get to that point in a DS, and realize it will take several minutes to determine between those remaining two choices, then guess randomly and move on. If you guess random from two choices over several questions in a section, that will be mathematically in your favor: on average, that will raise your score. OF course, use that strategy only when you don't see a clear and quick path to the solution, and use the time saved to calculate answer to questions you can solve.

Finally, as I assume you are aware, the GMAT in 3 days will involve an Integrated Reasoning section. Here's a free eBook I wrote on the IR section:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-integ ... ing-ebook/

I hope all that is helpful. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Mike :)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: HELP! GMAT in 3 Days [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2012, 23:31
Thanks for your helpful post.

I tried using what you said in regards to data sufficiency and cut down my time.

I also read

BB's timing-strategies-on-the-gmat (Sorry too new to post link)

Basically, what I did was put a time limit of 2 minutes on my first 5 questions. I had to guess 2 of the questions after 2 minutes and I was able to solve the other ones relatively quickly which gave me a buffer for the upcoming 32 questions.

I then tried to solve the remaining questions without the 2 minute limit but every time my time crept back up, I would implement that rule again.

I think my plan may have worked because this was the first time I was able to get through all the questions in Quant and I just went from 2 previous exams of 560 and 550 (where I had left the last 5-7 questions blank) to 690.

I am curious if this was a major fluke so I will do 2 more tests in the following days and report back.
Is a jump from 550 ish to 690 possible just by finishing 5-7 questions?

My goal is 600 so I am hoping that no matter what, even if this past GMAT was a fluke, I can at least hit 600...

BTW, the practice GMAT was Manhattan. Is that exam easier than others? I found it easier than Veritas and Kaplan...

Do you guys think 600 is within my reach for my exam in 2 days? I need all the confidence I can get because before my last exam, I thought I was hopeless...

Thanks everyone.
Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 484

Kudos [?]: 1977 [0], given: 29

Re: HELP! GMAT in 3 Days [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2012, 08:16
Expert's post
Dear badbeatjackpot

I don't know, but if I had to guess, it sounds to me that this past GMAT wasn't much of a fluke. Finishing the section is very important --- it's much better to guess on a few hard ones in the middle, than miss a few doable ones at the end of the section. I think your chances to break the 600 ceiling are very strong.

Practice this new strategy, and I hope you remain calm and level-headed enough during the real GMAT to implement it just as well. May the Force be with you.

Let me know if you have any last minute questions.

Mike :)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1070

Kudos [?]: 4771 [0], given: 163

Re: HELP! GMAT in 3 Days [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2012, 21:47
Expert's post
badbeatjackpot wrote:
Hi everyone. I've studied super hard for about 3 weeks 6-8 hours a day but am still getting killed. Scoring about 550-560. My quantitative score is killing me.
The main issue is, I can't solve the 37 questions in 75 minutes. I always run out with about 5-7 questions left.
I understand how to solve all the problems and understand the concepts but I just can't do it in the required amount of time.

My main issue is data sufficiency. When the answer is E, it takes me forever to go through the options to find out that there is no solution with the given s1 and s2

I have to write the GMAT regardless in 3 days if I want to attend school in the fall and I just need to hit 600.

What should be my strategy be for the exam?

I'm thinking of guessing on every 6th question so that I am not guessing the last 5-7 in a row...
Would that plan work or would the computer see that I only took 5 seconds to guess every 6th question and penalize me?

If your exam is tomorrow and you know you are going to run out of time, you could guess on 4-5 questions at equal intervals. Obviously, be mindful of the fact that you should guess only on DS questions which look hard (since you will end up spending too much time on it) or on PS questions you know you cannot solve (after reading the question once). Make sure you guess within 30 secs so that you save enough time. Else, the whole exercise will be a waste.
Check out this post for details:
http://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2010/10 ... for-field/

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [3] , given: 0

Re: HELP! GMAT in 3 Days [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2012, 10:34
This post received
KUDOS
Hi everyone. I took my exam on the 14th and I'm happy to post that I scored 650. I know its not that high but considering I didn't know how to solve half of the quantative questions a month ago, I am super happy with the results. All I needed was a 600 so I am very relieved.
My unofficial score showed that my quantative was 56% but my verbal saved me at 87%.

I guess everyone has their strengths...

I just wanted to thank the Gmatclub because I came here quite often while studying. There were some great resources here
SVP
SVP
Followers: 178

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: HELP! GMAT in 3 Days [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2013, 20:58
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Re: HELP! GMAT in 3 Days   [#permalink] 22 Nov 2013, 20:58