Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 01:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Help: How to avoid silly mistakes

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 21 Mar 2010
Posts: 316
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 33

Re: Help: How to avoid silly mistakes [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2011, 11:00
mariyea wrote:
I took another test prep this time its Kaplan.... I got a 39 in the Q and a 36 in the V... Starting fresh in the test is absolutely essential! I made several silly mistakes but at least i began the tests strong getting the first ten almost completely right... in Q I got the last two of the first ten incorrect. IN the V I got the second q wrong and the rest of the first ten qs I got correct... I see that I still have to improve my RC skills... but I noticed that I was feeling a bit depleted of energy while I was taking the V. While reading the RC passages I was unable to completely concentrate and it took me more time to read the passages and then of course I could answer the qs well because i had read the passages too many times, while losing focus. I'll try to take another practice test today and see how I do...


IMO Kaplan is a little harder than the real deal. So dont beat yourself too much over it.
Two full length tests in one day is not something i would recommend. the test is really taxing and hence it think a second test will not bring out your fullest potential.

DO you even write the essay when you do the full length test?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 30 Nov 2010
Posts: 264
Schools: UC Berkley, UCLA
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 66

Re: Help: How to avoid silly mistakes [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2011, 11:27
mbafall2011 wrote:
mariyea wrote:
I took another test prep this time its Kaplan.... I got a 39 in the Q and a 36 in the V... Starting fresh in the test is absolutely essential! I made several silly mistakes but at least i began the tests strong getting the first ten almost completely right... in Q I got the last two of the first ten incorrect. IN the V I got the second q wrong and the rest of the first ten qs I got correct... I see that I still have to improve my RC skills... but I noticed that I was feeling a bit depleted of energy while I was taking the V. While reading the RC passages I was unable to completely concentrate and it took me more time to read the passages and then of course I could answer the qs well because i had read the passages too many times, while losing focus. I'll try to take another practice test today and see how I do...


IMO Kaplan is a little harder than the real deal. So dont beat yourself too much over it.
Two full length tests in one day is not something i would recommend. the test is really taxing and hence it think a second test will not bring out your fullest potential.

DO you even write the essay when you do the full length test?


Both didn't have AWAs... You're right though! Taking two full length practice tests in one day is exhausting... i thought it would be a good preparation for the test day... you know working on the CAT for about six hours and all. Anyway, lesson learned, movin on!

Thanks mbafall!
_________________

Thank you for your kudoses Everyone!!!


"It always seems impossible until its done."
-Nelson Mandela

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 21 Mar 2010
Posts: 316
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 33

Re: Help: How to avoid silly mistakes [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2011, 11:36
In my first round, i learned that being fresh matters most, even more than preparation itself. Also these scores have a great impact on the psyche! So approach it as you would approach the real exam.

While i would suggest not taking AWA in the first 2-3 exams - it may serve as a confidence booster to get a higher score; you must start getting used to the slight exhaustion from giving AWA for an hour.
for me it only affects the last 40 minutes of my verbal section. when is your exam day?

Im interested in Haas too!
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 30 Nov 2010
Posts: 264
Schools: UC Berkley, UCLA
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 56 [1] , given: 66

Re: Help: How to avoid silly mistakes [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2011, 11:45
1
This post received
KUDOS
Its in a couple of weeks. I'm sure that I know and understand everything that is being tested... I just need to be able to calm myself... somehow... someway.
_________________

Thank you for your kudoses Everyone!!!


"It always seems impossible until its done."
-Nelson Mandela

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 30 Nov 2010
Posts: 264
Schools: UC Berkley, UCLA
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 66

Re: Help: How to avoid silly mistakes [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2011, 11:27
Hey everyone! I have found that getting a sufficient amount of sleep more than 8 hours would be just great. And meditating on positive things enhances your performance. Try it out!
_________________

Thank you for your kudoses Everyone!!!


"It always seems impossible until its done."
-Nelson Mandela

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 21 Mar 2010
Posts: 316
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 33

Re: Help: How to avoid silly mistakes [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2011, 18:53
Of course sleep helps.
Anything that relaxes your mind.
Good luck

Posted from my mobile device Image
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 30 Nov 2010
Posts: 264
Schools: UC Berkley, UCLA
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 66

Re: Help: How to avoid silly mistakes [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2011, 09:38
Does anyone have any advice for self-control??? The pressure is really getting to me and I'm unable to sleep. Please if anyone has anything to say about that, say something.
_________________

Thank you for your kudoses Everyone!!!


"It always seems impossible until its done."
-Nelson Mandela

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 03 Apr 2007
Posts: 1377
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 194 [1] , given: 10

Reviews Badge
Re: Help: How to avoid silly mistakes [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2011, 14:10
1
This post received
KUDOS
mariyea wrote:
Does anyone have any advice for self-control??? The pressure is really getting to me and I'm unable to sleep. Please if anyone has anything to say about that, say something.



Mari,
Here are some suggestions. Iam sure you already know this. But sometimes it helps when you hear it from others :)
1. Exercise : 30 min [weight + cardio] workout. Good for your health plus releases stress. When Iam stressed out I cannot sleep. Exercise also tires your body - tired body craves sleep- when you sleep well you feel energised
2. Read something good before you go to bed. May be some short motivational stories/novel that will boost your morale. This will help with the RC plus help you unwind. You will go to bed with good thoughts.
3. Eat your meals(balanced - carbs+proteins) on time. When you dont eat you cant function well. Avoid empty carbs (soda/energy drinks/sugary stuff)

All the best and take care. You will do well.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 30 Nov 2010
Posts: 264
Schools: UC Berkley, UCLA
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 66

Re: Help: How to avoid silly mistakes [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2011, 06:11
goalsnr wrote:
mariyea wrote:
Does anyone have any advice for self-control??? The pressure is really getting to me and I'm unable to sleep. Please if anyone has anything to say about that, say something.



Mari,
Here are some suggestions. Iam sure you already know this. But sometimes it helps when you hear it from others :)
1. Exercise : 30 min [weight + cardio] workout. Good for your health plus releases stress. When Iam stressed out I cannot sleep. Exercise also tires your body - tired body craves sleep- when you sleep well you feel energised
2. Read something good before you go to bed. May be some short motivational stories/novel that will boost your morale. This will help with the RC plus help you unwind. You will go to bed with good thoughts.
3. Eat your meals(balanced - carbs+proteins) on time. When you dont eat you cant function well. Avoid empty carbs (soda/energy drinks/sugary stuff)

All the best and take care. You will do well.

That's great advice... I'll try that Goalsnr.
_________________

Thank you for your kudoses Everyone!!!


"It always seems impossible until its done."
-Nelson Mandela

2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
avatar
Status: -=GMAT Jedi=-
Joined: 04 Jan 2011
Posts: 740
Location: Kochi, India
Schools: ISB
WE 1: Engineer - Larsen & Toubro, ECC Division
WE 2: Faculty - T.I.M.E.
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 130 [2] , given: 66

Re: Help: How to avoid silly mistakes [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2011, 06:39
2
This post received
KUDOS
mariyea wrote:
Does anyone have any advice for self-control??? The pressure is really getting to me and I'm unable to sleep. Please if anyone has anything to say about that, say something.


Here's what I do to keep the pressure off:
1. Exercise in the morning for 1 hr.
2. Meditation: 30 min in the morning and 30 min in the evening
3. I set reasonable goals. I think this is very important. Set goals that will stretch you without breaking you!
4. Spend time with loved ones. I spend two hours with my girl friend every day. It helps a lot :)
5. I keep my guitar nearby and I strum my favorite songs from time to time. It also helps me refresh my thought process. The guitar is to me like the baseball is to the character played by Tom Cruise in 'A Few Good Men'

Cheers! <<< Oh, yeah.... Go have a good time once in a while.
_________________

Mission: Be a force of good and make a positive difference to every life I touch!

From 650 to 710 to 750 - My Tryst With GMAT [Experience Thread]

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 30 Nov 2010
Posts: 264
Schools: UC Berkley, UCLA
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 66

Re: Help: How to avoid silly mistakes [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2011, 11:58
After a lot of self talk and self convicing, I took the MGMAT test and found that i was able to get 99%ile until toward the middle of the q bank, in the V section. I was almost able to answer the first 14 qs correctly I got a couple of qs wrong.

I see that I still have to work on calming myself down when the time is running out. :ouch :arh

I also see that I am better able to answer the math qs without the clutter clearing out of my mind... I get so stressed out toward the middle of the test... I have got to improve on that, for sure!
_________________

Thank you for your kudoses Everyone!!!


"It always seems impossible until its done."
-Nelson Mandela

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 30 Nov 2010
Posts: 264
Schools: UC Berkley, UCLA
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 66

Re: Help: How to avoid silly mistakes [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2011, 12:02
What do you guys think about having a cup of coffee before the V section of the test?

I'm asking b/c I just start to lose concentration after a while in the V section
_________________

Thank you for your kudoses Everyone!!!


"It always seems impossible until its done."
-Nelson Mandela

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 17 Feb 2011
Posts: 201
Concentration: Real Estate, Finance
Schools: MIT (Sloan) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 501 [0], given: 70

Re: Help: How to avoid silly mistakes [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2011, 17:55
I always make at least one silly mistake when doing the whole quant set. I really don't know if it is possible to avoid that because of the time pressure.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 30 Nov 2010
Posts: 264
Schools: UC Berkley, UCLA
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 66

Re: Help: How to avoid silly mistakes [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2011, 07:11
miguelmick wrote:
I always make at least one silly mistake when doing the whole quant set. I really don't know if it is possible to avoid that because of the time pressure.

Yep... I think I should've tried to see how well I do without being timed and see how fast i'm able to answer qs correctly.
_________________

Thank you for your kudoses Everyone!!!


"It always seems impossible until its done."
-Nelson Mandela

2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Status: Happy to join ROSS!
Joined: 29 Sep 2010
Posts: 279
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 102 [2] , given: 48

Re: Help: How to avoid silly mistakes [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2011, 06:05
2
This post received
KUDOS
Guys, I trully believe that unless before the G-day you slept 3 hours or had your worst hangover ever or was starving for 5 days, your performance won't be greatly affected. Leave all these 'tuna fish' diets, 'supermegaenergybrain' bards, and 'endurance' drinks for marketing departments of food producers. You need to build resources/confidence in yourself, not to lease it from 3rd parties (including many of prep companies :) )

What you really need is A SET OF RIGID MENTAL SAFETYCHECKS (OR RED FLAGS FOR SC) FOR THE MAJORITY OF QUESTIONS. For example, for Quant/DS you need to have 'ZIP' embedded into your brains. ZIP stays for Zero, Integer, Positive and shall remind you not to assume that variable in your DS question is Zero, Integer, or Positive! That single mnemo-reminded saved me from dozens of incorrect answers. In SC you need to bear in mind reg/question marks around words 'HAD'? 'BEING'? and a couple of others.

That stuff, not meditation while eating energy tuna bars will really make a difference on a G-Day.

==
P.S. On a practical note, if you pass all 25 GMATClub tests and analyze your mistakes, preferable two times, I doubt you'll have issues with Quant timing and scoring below Q42-44 on the real test.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 30 Nov 2010
Posts: 264
Schools: UC Berkley, UCLA
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 56 [1] , given: 66

Re: Help: How to avoid silly mistakes [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2011, 09:08
1
This post received
KUDOS
Vorskl wrote:
Guys, I trully believe that unless before the G-day you slept 3 hours or had your worst hangover ever or was starving for 5 days, your performance won't be greatly affected. Leave all these 'tuna fish' diets, 'supermegaenergybrain' bards, and 'endurance' drinks for marketing departments of food producers. You need to build resources/confidence in yourself, not to lease it from 3rd parties (including many of prep companies :) )

What you really need is A SET OF RIGID MENTAL SAFETYCHECKS (OR RED FLAGS FOR SC) FOR THE MAJORITY OF QUESTIONS. For example, for Quant/DS you need to have 'ZIP' embedded into your brains. ZIP stays for Zero, Integer, Positive and shall remind you not to assume that variable in your DS question is Zero, Integer, or Positive! That single mnemo-reminded saved me from dozens of incorrect answers. In SC you need to bear in mind reg/question marks around words 'HAD'? 'BEING'? and a couple of others.

That stuff, not meditation while eating energy tuna bars will really make a difference on a G-Day.

==
P.S. On a practical note, if you pass all 25 GMATClub tests and analyze your mistakes, preferable two times, I doubt you'll have issues with Quant timing and scoring below Q42-44 on the real test.

I appreciate the post, Thank you, Vorskl!
_________________

Thank you for your kudoses Everyone!!!


"It always seems impossible until its done."
-Nelson Mandela

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 17 Feb 2011
Posts: 201
Concentration: Real Estate, Finance
Schools: MIT (Sloan) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 501 [0], given: 70

Re: Help: How to avoid silly mistakes [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2011, 13:23
This is a good idea, because you will be able to see how much time pressure costs you in terms of silly mistakes. For example: I used to finish a whole quant set with at least 5 minutes remaining. Sometimes I could even finish it in 60 or 65 minutes. My result was normally 46 or below. In my last MGMAT test I finished the quant set with only 20 seconds remaining, but I scored a 49. I think I could optimize the use of time. I still struggle to do the same with verbal, but for quant this helped me.

mariyea wrote:
miguelmick wrote:
I always make at least one silly mistake when doing the whole quant set. I really don't know if it is possible to avoid that because of the time pressure.

Yep... I think I should've tried to see how well I do without being timed and see how fast i'm able to answer qs correctly.
Re: Help: How to avoid silly mistakes   [#permalink] 23 Feb 2011, 13:23
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Frustrated with silly mistakes tan 3 14 Oct 2011, 03:36
how to eliminate silly mistakes in quant adhithya 3 31 Jul 2011, 20:12
how to eliminate silly mistakes in quant adhithya 3 31 Jul 2011, 20:11
How to aviod silly mistakes manishhemnani 4 28 Apr 2007, 08:55
how to avoid sillly mistakes in quant? 2times 0 20 Aug 2006, 17:33
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Help: How to avoid silly mistakes

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 37 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.