Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Nov 2014, 16:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Help! I've burnt out and I can't get back!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Help! I've burnt out and I can't get back! [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2007, 13:44
I'm totally burnt out now and I can't seem to get back into it again..

I started studying for the GMAT on and off since March, took a kaplan class from May-June, really hunkered down in July and a week before July 30th test date I was at the library for about 3 hours everyday. On Sunday, the day before my test I watched a movie in the morning with my gf and just lounged around all day. Monday I took the test, feeling as prepared as I was ever going to be. I was hoping to score a 650.

I got a 550. I'm planning on applying first round for next fall (apps are available now).
After the test I was so bummed that I knew I'd have to take it again. I was looking forward to having a life again and doing all the things I wasn't able to do before while studying. After I came home from the test center, I signed up to take the GMAT again in 5 weeks. I just wanted to get it over with. Just a little more studying and I'd be good I thought.

Well, I also told myself that I'd take a week off first to prevent myself from burning out and taking a well-deserved break. Well, after one reschedule and a trip to vegas, and hanging out on the weekends/weekdays.. I haven't been able to get back into the studying mode! Just recently I started making myself go to the library again (only because my test date is Oct 13th). But it is more frustrating now because I feel like I have to relearn everything. Things I had DOWN before test day, I have to teach myself again. It is just very discouraging now. I am just totally not in the mood to study anymore and I've already had about a month of a break.

How did you guys get back into it so easily? I can't imagine taking the test more than two times. I just want to get this over with and get on with my life. Time is running out and I just can't seem to get back into it again. I used to be all gung-ho but i just seemed to have stopped caring.

Oh BTW, verbal on the actual was KILLER. I was pretty confident on my verbal going in, but when the second question I got was a CR boldface, it was over!

EDIT: I remembered I have a personal blog I kept while I was studying for my GMATs. Maybe I'll browse through it for inspiration..
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2007, 02:09
the only solution is to take a break. but there is a catch. take a break such that you dont loose the momentum. not that easy right??? but thats the way it goes.. try it out.. take a weekend off completly and see how it goes ..if you are still not comfortable then take few more days but guard yourself against losing the momentum..
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2007, 08:07
Hang in there man!!!

I've just been through the same thing. Recently sat the exam for a third time, but got through it (710); I went through the same phase you're going through a few times.

Whenever it was really tough to get back into things, I did a few things:

- I found that it helped if I studied in a new place. Maybe change the library you've been using; find a new one; study at a friends place or something. Different venues helped me a lot.

- I found that sometimes it helped if I started (after a period off study) by doing some easy questions; really easing back into things and making study feel really relaxed and casual. Then I slowly moved onto harder stuff.

- I used to read some of the 'Share your gmat experience'; I found them really encouraging....people can and do get through it. (I plan to submit one because some of the postings helped me a lot).

Good luck
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2007, 08:54
Thanks for everyone's advice. Since my last posting, I've started making a regular routine of going to the library after work. I spend an avg of 3 hours a day during the weekday. I also started creating a little bit of an error log. Not sure how you're supposed to create one in excel, but I just use a sheet of scratch paper and record all of my different types of errors so I can focus on those errors the next time I study.

I also spoke with the admissions director at my school.
I was concerned about my D in calculus class that I took 8 years ago when I was an undergrad.

In order to prove that I am able to succeed, I am going to have to retake calculus. So I registered for an online course. Help me!!

So now I've got GMAT, Calculus, Work, Apps, and personal life (which there won't be much of after everything gets started)

Wish me luck guys, my retest date is Oct 13th.
  [#permalink] 18 Sep 2007, 08:54