Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 06:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Help in selecting competitive/safe B Schools for Consulting

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GPA: 3.4
WE: Analyst (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Help in selecting competitive/safe B Schools for Consulting [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2014, 02:36
Hi All,

I am 29 years old Indian male applicant targeting Fall 2015 admission
I just took my GMAT on Monday and got a 740 (Q50, V40, AWA5 and IR3).
I had earlier taken TOEFL and scored a 108.

Work Exp
6 years Accenture in SAP Technical(ABAP) - 3 years + 3 years in SAP SCM Functional consulting..
Extracurriculars: nothing worthy of mention
Overseas Work Exp: less than 1 year

Worked extensively with clients in the following Industry Verticals
a. Consumer Goods and Services (Henkel. Kelloggs, Unilever)
b. Heavy Industrial Equipments (John Deere)

For the last 3 years my work is focussed on Sales and Operations Planning which involves the following activities such as
a. Demand Planning
b. Statistical Forecasting
c. Supply Network Planning
d. Safety Stock & Economic Order Qty calculations
e. Supply Network collaboration (vendor Evaluation, Customer & Supplier Collaboration)
f. Spare Parts Planning (Unique Forecasting models used because of sporadic demand patterns in Spare Parts Business)

Undergrad
NIT Rourkela, India (considered second to IITs)
Chemical Engineering (CGPA 7.88/10 - dont know how to convert to 4 point GPA scale)

One of the key features in my work experience which I would like to highlight is the steep learning curve which I faced when I moved in SAP SCM from a pure coding background and how effortlessly I was able to get into the new role (strong analytical & quick learning abilities)

Post MBA Aspirations
Strategy Consulting (mid tier consulting firms like Delloitte, KPMG, Accenture will be fine)
Technology Consulting as I have been doing now (SAP Global Consulting Service)
Operations/Procurement (Amazon.com, Sears, Target, Walmart)

I have selected the following schools to send my official GMAT scores

1. UNC Kenan Flagler School of Business
2. Manchester Business School
3. Eli Broad School of Business Michigan State University
4. Melbourne Business School
5. Indian School of Business, Hyderbad

I am not sure if I made the right choices.
Considering my aspirations and current profile, what do you suggest me to work on - profile building?
I am planning to apply in Early Action Round in UNC Kenan Flagler.
I, like any Indian Applicant would need scholarships, fellowships or any kind of grants that waives a certain proportion of the tuition fees.

How do I improve my profile to boost my chances of getting into a strategy consulting firm post MBA?
Also I would like to what are my chances in the above mentioned B Schools?
I am open to both 1 year and 2 years MBA program.
Any suggestions on which additional schools I should target will be highly appreciated.

Thanks and Regards,
Rohit
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 537 [1] , given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Help in selecting competitive/safe B Schools for Consulting [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2014, 07:26
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
rkb2013 wrote:
Hi All,

I am 29 years old Indian male applicant targeting Fall 2015 admission
I just took my GMAT on Monday and got a 740 (Q50, V40, AWA5 and IR3).
I had earlier taken TOEFL and scored a 108.

Work Exp
6 years Accenture in SAP Technical(ABAP) - 3 years + 3 years in SAP SCM Functional consulting..
Extracurriculars: nothing worthy of mention
Overseas Work Exp: less than 1 year

Worked extensively with clients in the following Industry Verticals
a. Consumer Goods and Services (Henkel. Kelloggs, Unilever)
b. Heavy Industrial Equipments (John Deere)

For the last 3 years my work is focussed on Sales and Operations Planning which involves the following activities such as
a. Demand Planning
b. Statistical Forecasting
c. Supply Network Planning
d. Safety Stock & Economic Order Qty calculations
e. Supply Network collaboration (vendor Evaluation, Customer & Supplier Collaboration)
f. Spare Parts Planning (Unique Forecasting models used because of sporadic demand patterns in Spare Parts Business)

Undergrad
NIT Rourkela, India (considered second to IITs)
Chemical Engineering (CGPA 7.88/10 - dont know how to convert to 4 point GPA scale)

One of the key features in my work experience which I would like to highlight is the steep learning curve which I faced when I moved in SAP SCM from a pure coding background and how effortlessly I was able to get into the new role (strong analytical & quick learning abilities)

Post MBA Aspirations
Strategy Consulting (mid tier consulting firms like Delloitte, KPMG, Accenture will be fine)
Technology Consulting as I have been doing now (SAP Global Consulting Service)
Operations/Procurement (Amazon.com, Sears, Target, Walmart)

I have selected the following schools to send my official GMAT scores

1. UNC Kenan Flagler School of Business
2. Manchester Business School
3. Eli Broad School of Business Michigan State University
4. Melbourne Business School
5. Indian School of Business, Hyderbad

I am not sure if I made the right choices.
Considering my aspirations and current profile, what do you suggest me to work on - profile building?
I am planning to apply in Early Action Round in UNC Kenan Flagler.
I, like any Indian Applicant would need scholarships, fellowships or any kind of grants that waives a certain proportion of the tuition fees.

How do I improve my profile to boost my chances of getting into a strategy consulting firm post MBA?
Also I would like to what are my chances in the above mentioned B Schools?
I am open to both 1 year and 2 years MBA program.
Any suggestions on which additional schools I should target will be highly appreciated.

Thanks and Regards,
Rohit

Hey Rohit,
So first of all dude, a HUGE congratulations on that absolutely FANTASTIC GMAT!! Well done, man! That, more than anything will totally boost your profile.

So let's have a look at your profile:
STRENGTHS:
- Awesome GMAT.
- Very good grades from the second-best school in India.
- Some international experience.
- Good employer

WEAKNESSES:
- Indian/Male/Tech
- Non-IIT
- No leadership
- ECs
- Unique factor?

Right now I think these last two bits are REALLY important! You really have some good numbers and good work experience, but what is missing to me in what you have written here is that unique factor that will make you BURST off the page, that will make your application fascinating and memorable, and bring it to life. Because there are soooooooo many very strong Indian candidates, and you gotta find some way to stand out from the pack. The good news: You are starting early enough that even if you don't have anything you can think of using right now, you can still DO something!

Other than that for your school list, I think you are maybe not being ambitious ENOUGH! (a rarity!) :)

Schools 2,3,4 should be preeetty safe for you given your GMAT, and I don't think you need apply to all three. Instead, I'd drop two and add another two schools ranked 10-20 from the US. At UNC and ISB I feel you should be relatively competitive. Just deal with that one weakness I mentioned to strengthen your profile!

Looking good so far,
Hope this helps!

Best,
JF

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GPA: 3.4
WE: Analyst (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Re: Help in selecting competitive/safe B Schools for Consulting [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2014, 10:19
Hi JF,

Thanks for that encouraging response.
Immediately after taking GMAT last week I have joined our CSR team.
Our CSR initiatives are very diverse and work on multiple areas such as Eco - Sustainability (group involved in reducing carbon footprint in office), Training under privileged youth with job skills so that they are interview ready and also working with NGOs on plethora of social issues.

My first assignment is scheduled this weekend (5th of April) when I am supposed to conduct a training session on communication skills.
I came to know CSR initiatives in our company is very well managed and even efforts put in are tracked and notified to immediate supervisor.
Accenture India do have a very ambitious mission statement of training 2 million youth on essential job skills and I see myself completely aligned with that mission statement.
Apart from being an active contributor to these activities I would also want to get a complete 360 degree view of the whole initiative that started back in 2010.
The program of which I am part is called Skills to Succeed. I would like to focus on the challenges faced by the trainers in the past, the barrier to learning new skills among participants and come up with feasible solutions (draw logic trees, identify root cause, possibly apply some of the well known problem solving frameworks).
In short I would like to take this up as a Consulting Project for non profit and help speed up things so that I am able to help our CSR team achieve the targets set in the mission statement well before the deadline.

The time between now and my first application deadline appears to me quite exciting.
For the first time in my life I am probably going to push myself into not so familiar territories.
Lots of self introspection and self exploration to come up in the coming months.
I am glad to say that your response has already started playing a key role in that.

Please do share your thoughts on this.

Thanks and Regards,
Rohit

P.S. Sometimes all you need in life is a little nudge and off you go.
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 537 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Help in selecting competitive/safe B Schools for Consulting [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2014, 22:54
Expert's post
rkb2013 wrote:
Hi JF,

Thanks for that encouraging response.
Immediately after taking GMAT last week I have joined our CSR team.
Our CSR initiatives are very diverse and work on multiple areas such as Eco - Sustainability (group involved in reducing carbon footprint in office), Training under privileged youth with job skills so that they are interview ready and also working with NGOs on plethora of social issues.

My first assignment is scheduled this weekend (5th of April) when I am supposed to conduct a training session on communication skills.
I came to know CSR initiatives in our company is very well managed and even efforts put in are tracked and notified to immediate supervisor.
Accenture India do have a very ambitious mission statement of training 2 million youth on essential job skills and I see myself completely aligned with that mission statement.
Apart from being an active contributor to these activities I would also want to get a complete 360 degree view of the whole initiative that started back in 2010.
The program of which I am part is called Skills to Succeed. I would like to focus on the challenges faced by the trainers in the past, the barrier to learning new skills among participants and come up with feasible solutions (draw logic trees, identify root cause, possibly apply some of the well known problem solving frameworks).
In short I would like to take this up as a Consulting Project for non profit and help speed up things so that I am able to help our CSR team achieve the targets set in the mission statement well before the deadline.

The time between now and my first application deadline appears to me quite exciting.
For the first time in my life I am probably going to push myself into not so familiar territories.
Lots of self introspection and self exploration to come up in the coming months.
I am glad to say that your response has already started playing a key role in that.

Please do share your thoughts on this.

Thanks and Regards,
Rohit

P.S. Sometimes all you need in life is a little nudge and off you go.

Rohit,
Wow! I'm amazed at how much you are doing already to improve this aspect. It's great to hear. And personally inspiring (I hope it is for all the other folks reading this thread too). You are doing the most important thing: Taking action! Just keep up all these activities, and keep on pushing, and you will see just how much you can get out of them, and just how much they will enrich your profile.

I'm glad my post was a motivator!

Jon

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!