Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Jul 2014, 20:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Help in the South

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 2

Help in the South [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2009, 15:26
1) Basic demographic info: 26, Male, White bread

2) Educational Background: Political Science (BS w/ statistical research emphasis), 3.5 from private but non-target school in TX. 710 GMAT, did 1 year of law after undergrad and bailed, CFA Level II candidate

3) Work experience: Risk arbitrage trader/analyst (sell-side), 3.5 yrs exp. progressed from clerk to trader at ~400 employee firm, not very structured promotion levels though

4) Extracurriculars: Leadership (My city) alumni (google it, they have it in most major cities)..civic leadership organization, youth soccer coach, board of young finance organization.

5) Short/Long term goals: buy-side investment management/ portfolio manager

6) Schools: haven't applied but looking at TX schools along with Duke, Darden, maybe Sloan, Ross...basically want to go to best school i can but eventually get back to Texas.

Outside of Texas, where do I have a shot?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2012
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 213 [0], given: 111

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Help in the South [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2009, 09:06
i dont know what specific schools you would have a shot at, but make sure you can get your story together and weave it so it makes sense. from what you've posted, your career has been all over the place (started poli sci, made a quick juke to law, now finance). make sure you know what your goals are. can you achieve these goals without getting an MBA? if not, then why are you applying for the MBA? these are all questions that would be asked of you on your apps as well as potentially your interviews. demographics and scores aside, your essays will probably be a make or break point for many of these schools that you'd be applying to.

if youre really determined on staying in texas, i'd probably rate mccombs as my # 1 school. focus your efforts there. southern methodist seems to get a lot of love from business week, and although it appears to be almost doubly as expensive as mccombs, their average gmat is lower, so you might have a good shot at some scholarship $$

GMAT Debrief

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Last edited by shadow on 21 Oct 2009, 09:23, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 2

Re: Help in the South [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2009, 09:15
I appreciate the feedback. I think my profile appears a bit more erratic than it actually is... I started law school in May immediately after I graduated (quarter system) and left in december of that year, since then I have been in finance. Nevertheless your point is well-taken and confirms much of what I was thinking.
Re: Help in the South   [#permalink] 21 Oct 2009, 09:15