Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Oct 2014, 04:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Help in time management (quantitative)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Help in time management (quantitative) [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2012, 21:10
Hi,

I've just taken the gmt two days ago and scored 650 (39 Q, 40V), 49th percentile Quantitative and 90 percentile Verbal. I'm looking forwards for a masters in a top european university perhaps HEC Paris or St Gallen so I really need a 700 or so. I've started studying two months ago, basically with OG 12 and both OG quantitive and verbal reviews along with the OG archer. Yet i'm experiencing huge trubles in time managent during the test, specially in the quantitative part. I couldn't finish the exam so I'm sure I got penalized... Oddly enough i'd never scored better in the verbal section than in the quantitative part, in none of the three gmat practice test I've taken, so I blame it on time managment...

I'm looking forward for some advice on time management strategies. Hope someone might give me a few pointers

Thanks.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 67

Kudos [?]: 695 [1] , given: 116

Premium Member
Re: Help in time management (quantitative) [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2012, 22:04
This post received
KUDOS
osdelga wrote:
Hi,

I've just taken the gmt two days ago and scored 650 (39 Q, 40V), 49th percentile Quantitative and 90 percentile Verbal. I'm looking forwards for a masters in a top european university perhaps HEC Paris or St Gallen so I really need a 700 or so. I've started studying two months ago, basically with OG 12 and both OG quantitive and verbal reviews along with the OG archer. Yet i'm experiencing huge trubles in time managent during the test, specially in the quantitative part. I couldn't finish the exam so I'm sure I got penalized... Oddly enough i'd never scored better in the verbal section than in the quantitative part, in none of the three gmat practice test I've taken, so I blame it on time managment...

I'm looking forward for some advice on time management strategies. Hope someone might give me a few pointers

Thanks.

One way which I found useful in cutting time down is picking smart numbers wherever possible especially in PS questions which ask for rates, percentages or ratios.

eg: Machine A does a certain work in 5 hours. Machine B does a certain work in 6 hours. How many hours would both machines working together take to finish the work.

In such questions I imagine the work to be somethin like making bricks. I'l imagine one work means making 30(LCM of 5 and 6) bricks. So A works at 6 bricks per hour and B works at 5 bricks per hour. Together 11 bricks per hour. So to make 30 bricks(1 work) the machines would take 30/11 hours.

Ofcourse this is just an illustration and actual problems would ask for more .

One more way is when I see an arbitrary looking number I immediately factorize it. This more often than not provides a path to the solution.

Kudos Please... If my post helped.

Did you find this post helpful?... Please let me know through the Kudos button.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types

Manager
Manager
Followers: 24

Kudos [?]: 123 [0], given: 79

Re: Help in time management (quantitative) [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2012, 06:51
Congrats on a solid verbal score, osdelga! MacFauz has the right idea--there are often approaches to certain questions that can save you time. But I have a feeling that you could improve your score substantially just by allocating your time differently.

I'm sure that you already know this, but your score on the GMAT isn't based on the number of questions you get right--it's all about which questions you get right or wrong. The more difficult questions you see, the higher your score will be. This might sound strange, but if your goal is a 700+ (a 45 on quant would do the trick if you maintain your 40 on verbal), you can miss a ton of hard questions and still achieve your goal. On the GMATPrep, one of my students missed 20 questions, and still scored a 44; it isn't unusual at all to miss 17 or 18 questions, and still score a 45.

The trick is, you can't miss easy questions, especially early in the test. Because the GMAT is path-dependent (is you miss an easy question, you see even more easy questions), a few badly placed errors can really hurt you. On the flip side, if you miss a few really tough questions at the end of the section, that won't do much damage to your score... as long as the questions at the end really are difficult.

So this is just a hunch, but I have a feeling that you might be *too* worried about the time during the GMAT, and you end up making unnecessary mistakes throughout the test. If you know what you're doing on a quant question, make sure that you get it right--spend an extra 10 or 20 seconds re-checking your work. And save some time by guessing on the questions that make your head spin--it just isn't important that you get the toughest ones right, and you can miss a huge number of tough questions without endangering your 700. If you can avoid getting stubborn on the toughest questions, you'll probably have enough time to be more accurate on the easier questions, and you'll have a better shot of getting to the end of the exam.

I'm just going off of a short post, so I could be way off here. I hope this helps. Good luck with your studies!

Helping students kick the GMAT in the nuts since 2002... www.gmatninja.com.

Re: Help in time management (quantitative)   [#permalink] 22 Nov 2012, 06:51