Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Nov 2014, 14:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Help! Just flunked the GMAT

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Help! Just flunked the GMAT [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2005, 13:49
Hi all,
I am still getting over the shock that I only got a 600 on my gmat on saturday. I know there are several factors involved in this and I am committed to improving and was wondering if I could get some advice/study suggestions from people (so that I don't have to feel like an idiot anymore).
Here's my practice test scores:
Kaplan diagnostic 590
All my Kaplan CAT tests scored b/n 640 and 670- mostly 650's.
One bad Kaplan CAT gave me a 550
Powerprep 1 test - 630
Other factors- tried to cram in one week of nonstop studying (even staying up until midnight the night before the 8:30 am test). Barely slept at all that week (5 hrs a night)
-Def. got the 2nd question wrong in the math (it was Standard Deviation question that I over-analyzed because I work with Standard Deviations for a living!)
-Proctor did not bring me more paper and I had to skip a question cause of it.
-Verbal- big interuption where some guy taking some other test had a headphone malfunction and his instructions blared from the speakers for 2 minutes. I was unfortunately on a LARGE RC passage and had to skip reading the passage and guess on the questions in order to finish on time (isn't this grounds for a free retake on their behalf???)

To study I mostly used kaplan classroom book and the Cd-roms. I have the OG and manhattan GMAT guides but didn't really use them. Now I know better!
I'm gonna go back to the center for a practice test on monday and I still want to apply Stanford first round (ambitous I know). Which means I need to retake by Oct. 19. Can anyone give me recommendations I what I should do? I know 600 is way low considering my other test scores. What can I do to improve as quickly as possible? How do you get over the psychology of- "no matter how much I know, if I don't know the answer to the 2nd question, I'm screwed"

thanks so much!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2005, 13:56
Yikes! When I saw "flunked", I thought something had gone really awful. I mean, you can't technically "flunk" the GMAT, but I was expecting you to announce some sort of abysmally low score. 600 may not be what you were hoping for, but it was definately not a "flunk".

It sounds to me like you've already identified your action plan for the next time around. Get a proper amount of sleep for a few days before the test. Review the questions in the OG. Bring earplugs.

I'm taking the test for the first time on Saturday and am aiming for 700+, but of course, who knows, right? I can't speak from experience about the GMAT yet. But I know from taking all sorts of other tests and exams that you really hit the nail on the head about this being psychological. It seems to me like you have some legitimate reasons why you were really having an exceptionally "bad day", and if you just tell yourself that you'll be building on the initial score, I'm sure it'll go better next time around.

And, of course, if things go horribly wrong on Saturday, I'll commiserate with ya. :)
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2005, 13:59
The most important thing is to relax as much as possible.
Try and get a normal amount of sleep, food and drink.
If you are tired, you are very likely to under-perform.
Last minute revision is not really appropriate on this sort of test.

Try not to get too bogged down on any one question.
Once it's gone, it's gone, concentrate on the next one.
Don't over-worry about the earlier questions, you might have slightly over-relied on the Kaplan marketing message.
Try and speed up a bit all the way through rather than guess at the end.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 437 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2005, 15:09
Lack of sleep can have a large impact on your scores. I recommend getting sufficient sleep for at least 3 nights before the test (yes, I recognize that depending on one's firm 5 hours of sleep might be considered sleeping in). I would not even touch your study materials the day before except for a few "confidence builder" questions if you find them helpful to calm your nerves. As I have observed time and time again, if you do not know the material the night before the test, a cram session is usually too little, too late.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2005, 02:41
Whats the Break up of your 600 Score? ?
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2005, 03:03
Yes, that is a good question.

If there is room for improvement in the quant - either verbal stronger or about the same as quant.

There are some types of quant question on which it is possible to improve with lots of practice. Even if you don't get a lot more answers right, it is possible to improve speed, just by interpreting the questions more rapidly.
Manager
Manager

score breakup [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2005, 09:17
I can't remember the exact points but percentile wise I was 71% verbal and 42% quant (eek!).

On limited time and budget which books should I absolutely invest in? I have the Kaplan Classroom book, the OG 10th edition, and the Manhattan GMAT workbooks though I seem to have misplaced the Sentence Correction one.

Should I buy the 800 Kaplan book or is entirely a dupe of the Kaplan classroom book? Any other suggestions?

Right now I'm working backwords from the OG and timing myself and making sure I understand the questions i get wrong. I also plan to start doing the Math challenges on here.
thx
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2005, 09:22
I wouldn't spend any money on Kaplan material.

The Powerprep CD is a good guide to the real difficulty on the quant.

The maths problems on this website are pretty good for free, if anything they are slightly harder than you will get in the real thing.
Manager
Manager

Powerprep CD? [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2005, 14:11
Is there also a powerprep CD w/ more tests?

I am only aware of the 2 tests you can download from MBA.com
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2005, 14:11
Hello! have been reading through all what's written on GMAT & what gitters me is that am really poor in Maths. I know that I need lots of practice.

Now, all I have with me is Kaplan, OG 10th & the online Gmatclub probs which I follow-up on. I am still not confident with the above material that I have. I am looking for a sort of study material which covers topic by topic...with all possible sums(Medium to Hard) & not just a messy affair like the above books.

Is there anything like this reliable avaliable in the market ? pls suggest.
Manhattan sounds good but not avaliable in India. Any better option.

Pls do let me know

Cheers!
  [#permalink] 21 Sep 2005, 14:11