Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Nov 2014, 09:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Help! Leave job Pre-MBA before interviews?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Help! Leave job Pre-MBA before interviews? [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2014, 07:24
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi There-

As a b-school applicant, I find myself in a very tricky situation. I started a corporate job in mid-summer that has set me up nicely for applying to MBA programs this year.

I have already been admitted to a top 20-25 school with a substantial scholarship I would attend, though not my first choice.

The work situation in my department, however, has deteriorated quickly, and through little fault of my own, it looks like I may have to leave my job right before I get interviewed (hopefully) for the top schools I am looking to attend in round 2 interviews.

How much of an issue would this be in an interview in a top 10-15 MBA program interview? How could I explain this sensibly? I would use the pre-mba gap to work on a long-standing entrepreneurial project, as well as take coursework and travel- would that be understood and accepted? Would I even need to disclose my departure?

Thanks for your help!
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2375

Kudos [?]: 9917 [1] , given: 3755

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Help! Leave job Pre-MBA before interviews? [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2014, 08:14
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
My, perhaps unorthodox, suggestion would be to get on the offensive and position it this way:

Q: How are things going with you?
A: Things are going great. I have finally taken a leap of faith I have been contemplating for a long time and started working on a startup, and I quit the job that was annoying me. Best decision of my life. Now, I did get some help - In part it was due to things deteriorating at work and in part it was due to getting an admit at another highly reputable program. Now, this bschool is still my first choice, of course but I could not pass up such opportunity. I won't have time while at school to work on my startup, so the time is now. (You want to emphasize to the school that you WILL choose them if they give you an admit - that's important to their yield number which translates into rankings; you want to signal that you are already wooed elsewhere but you are staying committed to them)

I don't think that a program would feel weaker about you as an applicant. Of course if you say - "I got fired and my life sucks" then it will be a problem. I suggest that you actually adopt the perspective and not just let it be empty words. You have nothing to lose and the time is now to work on your startup, travel, etc. Hopefully you will get into the program of your choosing and even if not, try to get your startup as far as you can because everything i wrote above is true - the time is now :-)

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Take a Survey about GMAT Prep - Win Prizes!

Re: Help! Leave job Pre-MBA before interviews?   [#permalink] 13 Jan 2014, 08:14