Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 23:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Help: MBA or new job (and then MBA)?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V41
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 15

Help: MBA or new job (and then MBA)? [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2012, 04:18
Hello,

I would really welcome your view on my situation and profile.

I am a 27yo Southern European with BSc and MSc in social sciences, 1 year of experience in the international non-profit sector and 2y in B2B business intelligence (socio-economic, consumer analysis) in the UK.

I am stuck with my job at the moment and really looking for a career change, willing to move more into business and a more challenging role, ideally consulting. Hence, I recently decided to try my best to get into an MBA and started studying for the GMAT. Before coming up with this decision though I was applying for other jobs and now received an offer from a small but international management consultancy (ex BCGs led). Now my big question is: MBA or new job?

On the MBA side, I am really sure that is something I want to do and that I would truly enjoy, and that potentially could open me the doors to more high level jobs through on-campus recruiting.

On the job side…well is a new and more interesting job which I could start very soon. Besides, even if junior level would give more insight and knowledge on how businesses work, and I am sure I would learn a lot. My idea would be to spend a couple of years there and then maybe apply for an MBA. On the upside I would have more time to prepare well the GMAT and schools applications. On the downside, by time I would start an MBA I would be 30-31 (too old for a career change?) and I am not sure how my experience would be seen by Adcoms (jumping around jobs rather than clear career progression)?

Just to give you a full picture I am thinking more towards Euroepan schools (INSEAD, LBS, Oxbridge, HEC, ESADE….).

Thanks in advance for any kind of advice you can provide!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 11

Premium Member
Re: Help: MBA or new job (and then MBA)? [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2012, 10:02
Thanks for writing to us, a few insights please

1) Name of the country that you have got new opportunity at
2) Name of the country that you wanna settle post MBA
3) Why MBA ?

Thanks

Free Essay Editing Service
free-profile-essay-review-service-free-129484.html

Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V41
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 15

Re: Help: MBA or new job (and then MBA)? [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2012, 10:15
Hi,

Thanks for your reply!

1) New opportunity would still be based in the UK, but with work across all Europe.
2) I have no specific country I wish to settle post MBA. Given my background and EU nationality I think still anywhere in the EU, but I would definitely be open to other areas
3) Reason for an MBA… for a career change and trying to open more doors (ideally strategy consulting, but open to explore other options). In general I studied and worked in the ‘social sciences’ area and later understood how I am more interested in a career into business, thus an MBA would both provide me with skills/knowledge I am lacking and legitimate my aspiration in front of potential recruiters. Finally, the more I read about programmes the more I feel I would really enjoy the experience (challenge, studying, international peers)..
Re: Help: MBA or new job (and then MBA)?   [#permalink] 17 Nov 2012, 10:15