Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 19:13 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 19:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V41
GPA: 4
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: U. Chicago, Johns Hopkins, AIGAC
Own Kudos [?]: 192 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: U. Chicago, Johns Hopkins, AIGAC
Own Kudos [?]: 192 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Help: MBA or new job (and then MBA)? [#permalink]
Kudos
Joe,
No, age would be less of a negative factor at European schools. I understand your point about the new position expanding your skills, but top schools do look for evidence of 'fast track' career progress as well as a sense that your own goals are evolving, becoming more focused. So in that sense demonstrating greater breadth in skills by making a lateral or even backward move would potentially weaken your chances. Keep in mind, that business schools define being 'well rounded' not primarily in professional terms in personal terms (the totality of your profile), and since they see their programs as a way of diversifying your skill set they would not expect you to achieve that through your career path before business school.

If you plan to apply to B-school in the next few months, then you may want to apply from within your current job. If you plan to apply later and are unhappy in your current job, then find a new one, just try to make it a step forward that fits your long-term career goals.

--Paul Bodine, Great Applications for Business School, https://www.paulsbodine.com/testimonials

Joe00 wrote:
Hi Paul,

Thank you for your answer. To clarify, I would aim at a high rank school yes, not necessarily Tier 1 but definitely something in the top 30 let’s say, but I would consider something less selective as fallback option.

Would age be such a key factor in European schools, where average age is higher (38% at Insead are in the 29-31 bracket)?

My other question is, would a spell at a new job still at junior level, rather than staying longer in my job and achieve a role promotion, actually diminish my profile ? I know that in reality I would be a much stronger and well-rounded candidate in terms of experience and skills, but I am not sure of the impression on paper.

As you rightly assume, I would need a minimum of 3-4 months to put together a good GMAT/application, which means I would still need to apply next Sept at 28 for most programs. If I move job now, I could still apply a year later at 29, without wasting other 1 / 2 years at my current job.

Thanks again
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thank you very much for your view Paul.

Unfortunately I started looking seriously into doing an MBA just recently, and I feel I would need anyway some time to put together a good GMAT and application pack….which also does not match well with deadlines.

I fully understand your point about career progress, but unfortunately I don’t see where I am now as really helping on that side… I hope a new job would add more in terms of internationality to say one, and would help me putting together a story of a path from a non-traditional background towards more ‘core-business’ roles (being consulting my medium-term career goal).

In general, is fair to say that a new job is a short term opportunity in front of me, but I do not want to totally give up the idea of an MBA as I am sure it would led me further in the long term…
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2060 [1]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hey Joe,
Well a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, as they say. I think it's not a bad idea to take advantage of this opportunity you have right now. It's true that this might make you a bit older when you apply, but honestly, 30 is not that old at all (in fact most Bschools average is about 27-28, except for a few of the very top schools). so anyhow you have this opportunity now, which seems interesting, and wiser than rushing an MBA application.

What WOULD be a great idea would be for you to consider taking the GMAT by say, this May. After all the scores are good for five years. If you get a good score it will get it out of the way. and at the same time allow you to be ready to apply whenever you are ready, be it next year or in five. In the meanwhile, at your new workplace focus on taking advantage of your managerial and business opportunities and go the extra mile (and if your profile is lacking in volunteer work NOW would be the moment to start working on that), that way a few years down the line, when you ARE ready, you will really be ready.

Best,
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Jon,

thanks very much for your comment. It does go in the same direction of my thinking. I think it would give me a great opportunity to focus on taking a GMAT score as high as possible and THEN look for schools, rather than rushing all at the same time. My main concerns are

1) To show a fragmented career rather than growing in 1 direction
2) Being a bit too old not for Bschool per se, but also for prospective employers post MBA if I want to enter new industries

But it looks like if I can build and explain a relevant story and ambition that would not be as bad as I may have thought.

Yes I also lack substantial volunteer work, which is something else to address I guess (I am still confused on how important this can be... struggle to think that all MBAs also managed a charity or led a fundraising campaign..)
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2060 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hey Joe,
You got it dude. Happy to help.

I understand your concerns about age and growth, but I think you can work your way around them. Like I wrote I think applying at 30 is pretty fine. When you do pass thirty things get a bit more difficult every year, but again, you may be strengthening your application in other ways, so it may balance out and you need to think about that. (Once you start to hit 34, 35 though, the schools will suggest you apply to EMBA programs). As for the single direction, you need to take your career in the direction that feels right for you and not choose your career based on Business School. I have found that even the most all-over-the-place career can be managed with a good story.

The volunteer-work thing is important, and since you have a few years you have no excuse at all for not starting NOW. The best would be to choose/find a position that would allow you leadership opportunities (so for example, you could offer to lead some volunteer group at your workplace), and the next important thing is to do it consistently for a long time, so that you can show dedication and results.

This can help a lot (even if your work experience is still more important)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks again Jon. You are right that I need to thing where I want to direct my career... Assuming I would really like to work in strategy consulting, I think a good MBA is the only way for me to have a chance at it. So I was wondering whether an experience at a small unknown consultancy first would help or not. Guess only time will tell! The good thing I guess is that if I like the job I may stay, while if I don’t I know I can still have a shot at Bschool!
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2060 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
It's probably not a bad idea. If you're good and you work hard, recognition will follow. Especially if you aren't the ideal hire from the get go (so, young single, valedictorian, ivy league and super high GMAT). But there are a million paths to success...

Good luck on following yours
GMAT Club Bot