Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 14:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Help me choose my school...!!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Schools: MIT Sloan Fellows (Admit)
WE 1: 5 Yrs - Global Outsoucing Operations
WE 2: 5.5 Yrs - Hospitality
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 6

Help me choose my school...!! [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2010, 04:50
hi folks,

i am planning to apply for the class of 2011. while i am preparing for my gmat i am looking for some help on chosing the schools.

31/Indian male/10 yrs exp (8.5 yrs in team management)/hospitality+ITES/progressive career/lead a team of 120 people across 4 countries/snr mgr-operations. plenty of examples with which i can differentiate my candidature (for eg - handled a strike in my hotel, celeb visits etc)

honestly speaking the only reason i want to do an mba now is to put a structure to my learnings over the last 10 yrs. and also experience a cross cultural environment.

why i didnt do it earlier is because i kept on getting promoted and was given key responsibilities at a fairly young age. didnt want to miss that experience. but now i feel that my learning has slowed down so i feel its the right time to push the peddle.

though my core area is operations, i have done fairly well in a solutions/sales kind of role. also my background in operations gives me that added insight into designing a solution for my client.

currently i am looking at

1) moving to Operations/Strategy consulting
or
2) sticking to operations post my mba

the above is also after doing research that one should have long term/short term goals ready. to be honest, i have a clue or a basic idea of where i want to be. but i have never been a sort of a person who has planned my future. though most schools require this clarity i find it a bit absurd. :roll:

if you ask my long term goal, i want to be an amaterur golfer. but i dont think its a good answer from an employability perspective.

so at this moment i dont have any pref between US/Europe, 1yr/2yr. aim is to get into a top 20 school, rest will follow.

so if anyone can suggest the target schools (or a priority list) for my kind of a background it will help. cos honestly to me all top schools seem the same specially when i see their website. i would like to join all of them. :wink:

thanks for reading and thanks for your responses.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Schools: Cambridge (R2-Matriculating), Nyenrode (Accepted), Oxford (R2-Interview invite)
WE 1: Army officer (Corps of Engineers)
WE 2: Air Quality Control Engineer
WE 3: Water Resources Engineer

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 19

Re: Help me choose my school...!! [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2010, 09:14
I'm still trying to choose schools as well, but based on the research I've done thus far, here are my suggestions:

1) Read the entire website. Flip through every page. Get a feel for the core and elective courses offered, areas of concentration, projects, extracurricular activities, and the area where the school is located. I have found that there are some schools I was really excited about, but after reading through the entire website, I realized wasn't a good fit for me.

2) Look at the rankings and figure out what statistics are most important to you. Some show employment rate within 3 months or salary increase or alumni participation.

3) Browse through this forum. There are some good threads about different schools that often give you some opinions about the different programs. Just remember to take everything with a grain of salt since these are all personal opinions and each person is unique :wink:

Once you've pared down your schools based on this, see if you can speak with alumni and current students and get some feedback from them.

I take notes in a Word document and make comparisons in an Excel spreadsheet. This way you don't have to try to remember what the first school offered after browsing through the 15th school's website!

I hope this helps, especially since this is the approach I plan on taking 8-)
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Help me choose my school...!! [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2010, 09:50
As you have significant team leadership experience (120 people), you might find it difficult to get into regular MBA aimed at younger people. Go for an executive MBA.

Regards,
George Jacobs
http://www.htbconsultants.com Affordable MBA Essay Review/Editing Service
mba.xpert@gmail.com

Intern
Intern

Re: Help me choose my school...!! [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2010, 12:14
BigRedEnvEng wrote:
I'm still trying to choose schools as well, but based on the research I've done thus far, here are my suggestions:

1) Read the entire website. Flip through every page. Get a feel for the core and elective courses offered, areas of concentration, projects, extracurricular activities, and the area where the school is located. I have found that there are some schools I was really excited about, but after reading through the entire website, I realized wasn't a good fit for me.

2) Look at the rankings and figure out what statistics are most important to you. Some show employment rate within 3 months or salary increase or alumni participation.

3) Browse through this forum. There are some good threads about different schools that often give you some opinions about the different programs. Just remember to take everything with a grain of salt since these are all personal opinions and each person is unique :wink:

Once you've pared down your schools based on this, see if you can speak with alumni and current students and get some feedback from them.

I take notes in a Word document and make comparisons in an Excel spreadsheet. This way you don't have to try to remember what the first school offered after browsing through the 15th school's website!

I hope this helps, especially since this is the approach I plan on taking 8-)

thanks for the valuable tips..i will try to follow them.. :)
Intern
Intern

Re: Help me choose my school...!! [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2010, 12:18
MBAEssay wrote:
As you have significant team leadership experience (120 people), you might find it difficult to get into regular MBA aimed at younger people. Go for an executive MBA.

thanks george for ur comment.
i was under the impression that my team management experience was a strength in my overall profile and could make up for other shortcomings (maybe a low gmat). never thought that it would make it difficult for me to get into a school.
exec mba is really not for me. am looking for a full time course.
but on a different note, maybe i should look at 1yr programs only.
Current Student
Schools: Oxford
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 5

Re: B-school cheaper in U.S. or abroad [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2010, 06:42
generally speaking, schools out of the US are going to be cheaper by quite a bit. you should definitely consider european and canadian schools, but at the same time, be sure that it matches your career goals. if you want to ultimately work and live in the US, it might be worth it to go to an american school.

Oxford Round 1 - interview invite 10/30/09, admit 12/11/09, ATTENDING 2010

My Road to Oxford and INSEAD http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-road-to-oxford-sbs-and-insead-89413.html#p676253

Intern
Intern

Re: Help me choose my school...!! [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2010, 10:05
CrackISB wrote:
Dear Arora,

I think it makes a lot of sense for you to look at one year full time MBA programs.
Some options which makes sense for a profile of your kind is
1) INSEAD
2) IIM-A, PGPX
3) ISB

All the three have unique points and are good in their own ways.

Your experience is kind of more than the average at ISB, while this is not a drawback by itself IIM seems to have some point here with a crowd which mostly has 10 years experience (and the placements targeted towards this group). On the other hand, if you are serious about cross-cultural experience both INSEAD and ISB are well placed. I would a closer look at both of these, particularly INSEAD.

Thanks for your detailed response. You echo the sentiments of few folks I have spoken to about targeting a one year program. I am beginning to agree as well that it may make more sense than going to US.

However, I am not at all keen on applying to IIMA. Somehow I feel that the IIM brand teaches you a lot of stuff but does not make you a good manager and also cross cultural interaction is totally missing. this is what I feel after dealing with several folks from IIMs.. **and this is just my own opinion**.

ISB is on my list though. INSEAD...maybe not...
Re: Help me choose my school...!!   [#permalink] 05 Jul 2010, 10:05