Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Jul 2014, 23:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Help me decide - Mckinsey job offer in hand or pursue MBA

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Help me decide - Mckinsey job offer in hand or pursue MBA [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2014, 20:11
Hello All

I was a reapplicant this year and thought my chances were slim. So I went in and did two things in parallel - I applied to business schools in Round 1 and applied to Mckinsey for an Expert position in parallel. Now comes the hard part - I made it through both. I currently have an admit to one of the top 5 B-schools in US for a 2 yr program and I have been given an offer after 4-5 rounds of interviewing at Mckinsey. The expert role is equivalent to that of an Engagement Manager, though separate from the partner track. I have been told that I would have the option of migrating to that track later.
My target industry after MBA was MC in one of the big three companies. I had assumed I could not break into it if I did not have an MBA. So here is the Q - which one makes sense? Join Mckinsey and leave the admit I have in hand or leave Mckinsey offer and go for the MBA assuming my knowledge and avenues might open up further?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 1

Re: Help me decide - Mckinsey job offer in hand or pursue MBA [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2014, 22:28
You have an interesting question, and a very nice-to-have problem. Congratulations on getting the two offers.

Any person after MBA from any top school joins as an Associate irrespective of the number of years experience they have prior to their MBA. If you have an offer with McKinsey as an ‘Engagement Manager’before an MBA, it is really brilliant. It also shows you have some expertise that McKinsey values. Morevoer, McKinsey brand is very strong. Remember, an MBA from a top school is a long term investment. You can always join McKinsey sometime in the future. But, a business school is not easily possible because I think age will be not on your side. If I were you, I would go to the business school.

Alternative is to negotiate with your school to get best of both worlds. Tell them you have an offer with McKinsey and request them to defer to the admission by one year. It is always good to get McKinsey on your resume for long term results.

Good Luck!
www.interviewbay.com
BSchool Forum Moderator
Affiliations: SPG Platinum, Southwest A-List
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.56
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 23

Premium Member
Re: Help me decide - Mckinsey job offer in hand or pursue MBA [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2014, 21:36
If your post MBA goal is MBB, and you already have a job offer, then going to McKinsey is a no-brainer IMO. In other words, you don't need an MBA now to achieve your goal. But, if down the line you feel you need an MBA for further career advancement or a career change, then it would make sense to go to b-school. Of course, if you are set on getting your MBA, you could always ask McKinsey if you could defer your start date. McKinsey does value an MBA, so there's always the possibility that they would work with you. Personally, I'd take the job and salary over two years of loans and no income!
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
WE: Project Management (Real Estate)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 65

Re: Help me decide - Mckinsey job offer in hand or pursue MBA [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2014, 22:33
Just here to say congrats! Lateraling to McK is no small task. I tried two years ago and got dinged after final round, so I did an MBA. Figure out what you want to do. If it's MBA, ask McK if they'll wait for you. If it's McK, ask the school to defer you a year, just to leave the door open. Deferrals are very uncommon, but you never know.
Re: Help me decide - Mckinsey job offer in hand or pursue MBA   [#permalink] 12 Mar 2014, 22:33