Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 05:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Help me how to begin the study !

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Help me how to begin the study ! [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2008, 20:57
Hi guyz
since this is " share your experience " forum
i`d like to ask the experienced poeple this question :

i want to take the GMAT test , and after alot of search i just bought those books :

1-The official guide for GMAT Review , 11 edition 2005
2-The official guide for GMAT Verbal Review 2005
3-The Official Guide for GMAT Quantitative Review
4-Princeton review edition 2006
5-Manhattan guides ( Sentence Correction, Translations, EquationsInequalities, Number Properties, Critical Reasoning, Geometry , Fractions Decimals Percents and Reading Comprehension )

i want from the experience people to give me an advice of what to study first , ie; what are the basic books that a person should study first to get the basics. From my sreach i read alot of comments that some of the above books are for solving examples after you get the basics and they are not good for starting the GMAT study !!

ya and one more thing, plz guyz from where i can get real tests forms , ie: computer tests , because none from the above books have a CD :(
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Help me how to begin the study ! [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2008, 01:48
I would start from quantitative by picking up one of those manhattan gmat books probably the inequality or number properties one first.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Help me how to begin the study ! [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2008, 01:57
A good point to start is the Diagnostic Test from OG 11. You will see what are your areas that you must improve.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Help me how to begin the study ! [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2008, 11:12
I would suggest you give the diagnostic test (the first test you will find on OG-11) and find out what are your weak areas. And then focus on that. If you want to start as a complete beginner then start with Manhattan SC book for verbal and Manhattan number properties for quantitative. At the same time review all those basics covered on both OG. Meanwhile you can do few questions everyday to find out your improvement.

Nobody dies a virgin, life screws us all.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Help me how to begin the study ! [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2008, 11:18
I would do all of the Manhattan guides first because those are designed for building fundamentals.

Then I would take the diagnostic test and work through the guides.

Finally, you can simply download the GMATPrep software from MBA.com
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Beta Gamma Sigma
Schools: Harvard, Penn, Maryland
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Help me how to begin the study ! [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2008, 08:44
I would suggest, if you want to save money, to go to amazon.com and buy a bunch of outdated (like 2005 and later) books with CD practice tests that are like $5 a pop, just make sure they include the CD. I just recently scored a 700 (45Q 41V) my first time out (I'm going to be a 20 yr old Junior in Undergrad Fall 2008) off simply studying from prep books with CD practice tests. I would suggest getting at least three different test prep providers tho, because each one has its strengths and weaknesses. I prefer Kaplan, because their tests are always harder than the real thing (I am getting like 590-600 results on them, whereas I am getting like 750-770 on Princeton Review), but some of their questions I do believe do not have the correct answer. Arco is also a good name. I also found the CAT software on the actual GMAC practice tests you can get mailed to you once you pay your $250 and schedule a test very helpful, and they can almost pinpoint your score.
I find that taking the GMAT is more an endurance test than anything else, and once you find out the types of questions and a methodology to answer them, it is more practice makes perfect than anything else. my practice scores go up practically every time I take a test (like once or twice a week), with little to no outside studying. I do read these forums and try to help answer questions in my free time, which does help, and I read books and such, but I think there is no substitute for just taking practice tests. I believe most people who only do Q or only V get worn out at test time, and 3 1/2 hours of test should be second nature, when youre gonna pay $250 a pop to take it again and again.
I hope I was of help.
Re: Help me how to begin the study !   [#permalink] 19 Aug 2008, 08:44