Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 06:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Help me push the score higher

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Help me push the score higher [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2009, 05:28
I have been studying for a little over month for Gmat. Planning to take the test early September.

I have already gone through OG 11th edition. Manhattan Sentence Correction and have completed Quant and SC from Kaplan. Will pick CR from Kaplan tonight.

I took the first GmatPrep test 1 week back and scored 630 in it. Don't remember the breakdown from top of my head. After that I took a 2 sets of sectional tests on the Kaplan CD and I am consistenly getting about 80% - 85% correct in Verbal and 90% - 95% corrent in Quant.

I noticed that I was struggling in SC (specifically modifiers). Worked a bit more on SC and the score improved in the Kaplan tests.

Last night I took the 2nd MGmat Test (first was taken long time back when I was just starting to prep). I scored 640 with the breakdown below.
TYPE SCORE %ile
Quant 43 70%
Verbal 34 72%
Total 640 80%

Further detail-
Quant
Type ? Total
Data Suff RIGHT 8
WRONG 7
Prob Solv RIGHT 11
WRONG 11
G Total 37

Quant
Difficulty ? Total
300 - 500 RIGHT 3
500 - 600 RIGHT 8
WRONG 3
600 - 700 RIGHT 6
WRONG 6
700 - 800 RIGHT 2
WRONG 9
Grand Total 37

Verbal
Type ? Total
Crit Reas RIGHT 8
WRONG 6
RComp RIGHT 8
WRONG 4
SCorr RIGHT 7
WRONG 8
GTotal 41

Verbal
Difficulty ? Total
300 - 500 RIGHT 3
WRONG 1
500 - 600 RIGHT 5
600 - 700 RIGHT 13
WRONG 8
700 - 800 RIGHT 2
WRONG 9
Grand Total 41

What's next? Should I continue what I am doing right now? Basically keep brushing up my concepts and take a test every couple of days to stay tuned to tests or do I need to change course?

Thank you in advance for all the help.

-SG
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Schools: Duke,Oxford,IMD,INSEAD
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 15

Re: Help me push the score higher [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2009, 08:15
For Verbal

1) Take notes down from SC to revise every alternate day
2) CR look like trouble for you, have you tired Powerscore for strategies ?
3) Try doing 1000 SC and 1000 CR and the 1000 RC document for next 15 days with 30SC,30CR and 5RC passages a day. When you get a question wrong try to see why all the answer choices were right or wrong. Post it in forums people are more than willing to help you out here

For Quant
1) Identify the weak areas, was it number properties or probability, etc... ? - Try to brush up those areas again and concentrate more on those areas by practicing more problems.
2) Solve problems posted in this forum
3) Try toget access to MGMAT question bank and Quant Challenge.
4) GMAT Clubs tests are awesome for tough problems
Intern
Intern

Re: Help me push the score higher [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2009, 06:18
Thanks! I picked up power score and the first 2 chapters were insightful. I didn't even know that I had issues in CR until I took MGmat. Will work as you suggested and hopefully things will change. Working the way you suggested. Hopefully things will improve.
Intern
Intern

Re: Help me push the score higher [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2010, 15:44
Hi guys,

Great forum, very helpful. I am wondering if you can help me figure out what to study for more - Quant or Verbal?

I just took my first GMATPrep test and scored 720, 48Q and 41V. At first it looked to me like my Quant was stronger because of the higher raw score, but when I looked up the percentiles, it says 48Q is 83rd percentile and 41V is 92nd percentile. So does that mean my verbal is actually stronger? Which should I concentrate in to get the biggest bang for my time?

During the test, the math seemed quite difficult and I had to guess at the end whereas I finished the verbal with 15 minutes remaining. In quant, it was the concept mixtures that threw me for a loop, whereas in verbal I had a thoroughly bad time with RC, though got some SC wrong as well. So there are many things I can improve in, but I'm afraid to exhaust myself. Where would you recommend to focus?

Also, what are some strategies that people have successfully used for RC? My problem is over-analyzing the passage when answering questions and getting so bogged down with detail when reading that I tend to miss the important points.

Thanks for any tips!
Re: Help me push the score higher   [#permalink] 21 Feb 2010, 15:44