Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 21:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Help Me Understand Yale

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Help Me Understand Yale [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2007, 18:25
I know a lot of the BW forum people are these "masters of the universe" types that all want to get into PE and many have held great jobs in prestigious banks, so obviously there's a certain amount of snobbery, i.e. for many of these people going to Wharton would be a ridiculous waste of time. And I can't really fault them because many of us are snobs in our own way, making jokes about the University of Phoenix online etc...

But anyways, Yale really seems to take a serious bashing from these ultra-elite people. The impression I get is that some people consider Yale a place for people that want to "fool" people into thinking they're going to a good school or something. Am I just misreading this or what?

Also, I know some people have called Yale a "sleeping giant" in the b-school world. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Anyone think Yale could make a move into the ultra-elite some day, or does it take a really really long time to move up the rankings?
VP
VP
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 183 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2007, 18:33
In case you haven't done so, go read Hjort's posts on this issue:

http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=21909

http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=13276

I think the issues could be several:

1) Ultra vs. Elite differences. For some people it's H/S/W or bust, for some others it's Ultra Elite or bust. These people would not esteem Yale too much.

2) The whole different approach to Management thing.

3) Maybe some people feel like they're using their brand to pretend to "fool" some applicants into thinking it's a top 5 or top 3 school. I don't subscribe to this theory, but maybe some people do.

Hope it helps. L.
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2007, 19:12
I had similar questions/views and curiosity about Oxford. There was a controversial debate going on in one of the BW forums about Oxford.

Oxford is a relatively new program and is usually not highly regarded amongst the MBA community.

However, Oxford is definitely one of the most prestigious academic institutions around and the Dean has been sending +ve messages about his intention to compete with Harvard/Stanford.

[Ref: http://www.ft.com/cms/s/a35f3154-8123-1 ... e2340.html]

But it is a relatively new program and I wonder whether the reputation of the program will change in the next couple of years.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2007, 19:42
Yale is a great school, and you can do very well with a degree from there. If you allow yourself to descend into the myopic world of ultra-elite or bust, you can easily lose sight of this reality.

Believe it or not there are people in this word that actually get angry when their alma mater loses a rank or two in Joe Magazine's super famous annual Best School publication and get ecstatic if it increases. I suggest their energies are misplaced.

I've got a degree from an "ultra elite" law school. I've had a fairly successful legal career, but I have still never figured out how to gracefully tell a judge or jury where I got my law degree. My success or lack thereof has depended on other things.

Sure, a degree from a super duper elite school may open some doors right out of school, but it is absolutely no guarantee of long term career success and probably not even a great predictor thereof.

And, hey, if you have a normal career with a Stanford MBA does that make you a super duper humongous failure ... given your perceived starting "advantage".

I've met a lot of ranking whores. They tend to fall into two categories: (1) total bores and (2) surprisingly insecure tough guys.

You aren't going to change them. I recommend just ignoring them.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Darden
Followers: 41

Kudos [?]: 423 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2007, 20:03
I think Yale suffered a bit from a misguided direction to their curriculum a few years ago. They tried to establish themselves as a school for non-profit types; which of course puts it as the butt of jokes for big money IB types. They have recently restructured their curriculum again.

Yale is obviously a huge name, but substantial changes in prestige/rankings take time; not years but decades I think.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2007, 20:17
I think Yale is the only b school that is ready to move up in the "reputation" rankings. I put my money on them to be regarded with the folk of Chicago, Kellogg, MIT, Columbia. It's gonna take 10-20 years (like Pelihu said) but they will be there.

Every top 10 b school also has a strong parent university and some other strong departments. Yale has that strong undergrad name and that strong law school, so when we all become older, Yale will have moved up.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2007, 20:24
Thanks for the input.

Just had the impression that people treat Yale like Peyton Manning was treated before he won a Super Bowl, and wasn't sure if I was missing something.

I wonder if Princeton or Brown will ever have a business school.
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2007, 20:27
johnnyx9 wrote:
Thanks for the input.

Just had the impression that people treat Yale like Peyton Manning was treated before he won a Super Bowl, and wasn't sure if I was missing something.

Peyton Manning? sorry, international here, so I don't speak the lingo...btw, no need for responses directing me to Wiki or ESPN, I don't care... :lol:

Johnny, be cool, Yale is an Elite school. It is no GSB nor MIT, but still very good.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2007, 05:35
Manning was really talented, but had a reputation for "choking" during big games, and never winning important games, although statistically he was one of the greatest quarterbacks ever. (He just won the super bowl so that's all over now).

One quick question: GSB - does that always mean Chicago, or is it Stanford too?
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2007, 05:45
johnnyx9 wrote:
Manning was really talented, but had a reputation for "choking" during big games, and never winning important games, although statistically he was one of the greatest quarterbacks ever. (He just won the super bowl so that's all over now).

One quick question: GSB - does that always mean Chicago, or is it Stanford too?

Well, around here, GSB = Chicago. But Stanford calls its school that way, too.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2007, 05:51
"The GSB" reminds me of "The U." It kinda cracks me up.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2007, 07:22
johnnyx9 wrote:

I don't know about Brown, but Princeton will never (barring some drastic fundamental change to their philosophy). I don't believe Princeton has any professional graduate school. Closest thing is their M.Fin and that was met with contention by the Princeton community.
  [#permalink] 09 Mar 2007, 07:22