Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:52 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 315 [0]
Given Kudos: 54
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 315 [0]
Given Kudos: 54
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
Send PM
Re: Help! MIT Sloan ($5k) vs Tuck ($25k) vs Yale ($30k) [#permalink]
To be blunt, you have a really tough choice. Personally I'm big into prestige/brand (MIT) and collaborative culture/close student body (Tuck) and starting salary/prestige recruiting (MIT/Tuck), so my choice would be between those two. Yale certainly is on the upward trend, but Tuck and MIT Sloan are still objectively better when it comes to full-time recruiting.

I guess ultimately, how important is a high salary to you. Yale certainly is very socially focused, and you'll find a lot of people there with similar goals to you, but their salaries and recruiting at prestige companies isn't great (You don't want to do MBB though, so maybe this is less important?) compared to Tuck/MIT. If you care more about "making an impact" than maximizing your Salary, I say go with Yale. Elsewise, I'd go with Tuck or Sloan...probably would lean towards Sloan in your case since Tuck's biggest selling point is viewed as a negative to you. Plus, Pantheon is definitely a technology focused company, so if those are the type of places you want to work, that's MIT's strength.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: General Management
Send PM
I think he's referring to Parthenon not Pantheon. The Parthenon Group is a niche consulting firm that hires a ton of Tuck grads every year. They also do some very interesting work within the social sector.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Send PM
The Parthenon Group, correct. I know they have strong Tuck ties but they also recruit from Sloan and Yale SOM each year.

Current Student
Given Kudos: 105
Schools: Tuck '16 (M$)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
Send PM
Out of interest, did you visit all the schools. If you had those concerns about Tuck and Sloan after visiting, I would say go with your gut and head to Yale SOM. 2 years is a long time if you're not a good fit. I believe social enterprise is one of its strengths and if niche firms like Parthenon Group (Chairman is a Tuckie!) also recruit to some extent at Yale SOM then actually I don't think it's a huge risk. If you are not interested in MBB or the more mainstream recruiting, the "prestige" factor at Sloan or Tuck will not factor in as much. I am matriculating at Tuck but it's definitely a tough place if you don't feel like you can buy into its culture and location.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 628 [0]
Given Kudos: 192
Send PM
Go with Tuck. Purely from a cost point of view Tuck would be cheapest and you would not be forced to pursue a high paying high pressure job. The fratty culture is part of all B Schools except those that are located in big cities such as NY, California.
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: ?
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT Date: 10-09-2013
GPA: 3.3
WE:Analyst (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
Between Tuck and MIT, I would go to Tuck. I don´t think there´s much of a difference in terms of access to the industries you like as post-mba, and the $50k is surely a good factor to consider here.

It also depends on location, MIT is in a relatively big city whilst Tuck is not.

Great position to be in,

Good Luck!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
It sounds like you are looking for the creative/entrepreneurial post-MBA career, where you want to have ownership of specific product and influence its success or failure. I really think MIT is the better fit. MIT’s culture is the least “traditional MBA” of those schools. One great resource for you is MIT’s media lab, which Sloanies can get involved in. Sloan’s innovative lean is the reason that many of the innovation/design consulting powerhouses like IDEO recruit there.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 95 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Help! MIT Sloan ($5k) vs Tuck ($25k) vs Yale ($30k) [#permalink]
I had a similar choice between Tuck and Yale and it came down to fit.

Originally posted by Flyte on 24 Apr 2014, 11:23.
Last edited by Flyte on 22 Jul 2014, 04:19, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 81
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Organizational Behavior
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V38
GMAT 2: 720 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.62
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
jgb wrote:
Accepted at Sloan ($5k scholarship), Tuck ($25k scholarship) and Yale ($30k scholarship) ... Scholarships are per year so $10/50/60k total

Interested in innovation consulting, strategy/entrepreneurship, and social enterprises. Not totally sure what I want to do post-MBA but considering consulting -- not MBB, but more niche firms (Parthenon, innovation consulting, etc.)

Really don't like the fratty culture of Tuck. Worried Sloan may be too engineering-y. Yale feels like the best personal fit, but biggest risk in terms or professional goals.

Any help??? Need to decide end of this week.

Congrats! We may have spoken before, but I want to offer myself up. I'm going into innovation consulting after SOM, and am a leader of the Design & Innovation Club amongst other things. It's a burgeoning sector at SOM, and three D&I firms have made us a core school over the last 3 years. We all know IDEO is a tough nut to crack, but we've gotten a couple of people over there over the last few years, plus plenty at Innosight, SY/Partners, ?WhatIf!, and a firm called Ideas42, which was founded by an SOM alum and blends behavioral economics w/ design thinking. Happy to chat further.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: General Management
Send PM
You're clearly leaning towards Yale. If you just want validation to go to a very slightly lower ranked school, then we'll all give it to you. Yale is still a top program with increasing momentum, its students are amazing, and you have a nice scholarship offer.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
Concentration: Sustainability, General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Send PM
OhDenny wrote:
jgb wrote:
Accepted at Sloan ($5k scholarship), Tuck ($25k scholarship) and Yale ($30k scholarship) ... Scholarships are per year so $10/50/60k total

Interested in innovation consulting, strategy/entrepreneurship, and social enterprises. Not totally sure what I want to do post-MBA but considering consulting -- not MBB, but more niche firms (Parthenon, innovation consulting, etc.)

Really don't like the fratty culture of Tuck. Worried Sloan may be too engineering-y. Yale feels like the best personal fit, but biggest risk in terms or professional goals.

Any help??? Need to decide end of this week.

Congrats! We may have spoken before, but I want to offer myself up. I'm going into innovation consulting after SOM, and am a leader of the Design & Innovation Club amongst other things. It's a burgeoning sector at SOM, and three D&I firms have made us a core school over the last 3 years. We all know IDEO is a tough nut to crack, but we've gotten a couple of people over there over the last few years, plus plenty at Innosight, SY/Partners, ?WhatIf!, and a firm called Ideas42, which was founded by an SOM alum and blends behavioral economics w/ design thinking. Happy to chat further.

Hi OhDenny,

Some really interesting stuff in your post! Can you please tell me about the sustainability consulting firms that recruit at Yale?

(P.S jgb sorry to hijack your thread)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GRE 1: Q170 V167
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
I am biased... but I hope to see you at Yale in the fall.

From my perspective, I love how SOM is integrated into the broader Yale University... I'm already planning for some interesting and useful electives in other Yale schools. Also, the ability to network with alumni from other parts of Yale, in addition to SOM, is a +ve for me.

I'm based in Europe, and I've had many discussions with headhunters (granted, mostly in finance), and the Yale brand is as strong as they come. I decided if I'm going to pay 150k for a degree, I want the value to last for the rest of my career... not just be a stepping stone for my next job.

note: Tuck & MIT have great programs as well, I just wanted to do a little cheerleading for Yale.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [1]
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q42 V45
GPA: 3.2
WE:Securities Sales and Trading (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
WiningCriminal wrote:
Hello,

I definitely have to preface this wit my bias since I'll be enrolling at Yale SOM in the Fall. But if social sector consulting is truly what you seek, I think Yale SOM would be a perfect fit for you. I actually spoke to a Yale SOM alum from the Class of 2013 and he's a Principal at The Parthenon Group (Yes, Principal at a respected consulting firm and he recently graduated). So you already know that you will have easy access to that firm. If you do decide to pursue MBB consulting, he also assured me that Yale SOM does place well at MBB firms and other areas as well. When evaluating SOM's placement in comparison to its peers, you have to remember that 1) people who matriculate into SOM aspire to do non-conventional MBA careers and 2) Yale's class size is significantly smaller than its peer schools. That's why their numbers don't match up as nicely as a MIT Sloan. I actually do have some hard numbers from speaking with alum and current second years. Last year, SOM placed 8 ppl at McKinsey, 8 ppl at Bain, and 4 at BCG. They also had strong place at Deloitte, Accenture, etc. So in total, thats 20+ ppl out of class of 200 people. So over 10% in top consulting at a school where traditional management consulting is not a leading interest. Hope this helps.

Just FYI, the title of the post MBA level hire at Parthenon Group is 'Principal', essentially an associate level role at McKinsey or consultant role at Boston or Bain

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 95 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Kudos
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator