Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 08:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Help ncprasad pick a school

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Which school should I add to my R2 list?

• 27% [8]
  • 34% [10]
  • 17% [5]
  • 20% [6]
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
Schools: Ross '10
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 165 [0], given: 1

Help ncprasad pick a school [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2007, 22:13
Guys,

I am beginning work on my R2 apps and the hitherto lack of interview love from HBS and Ross has prompted me to re-assess my app portfolio. Originally, I was planning to apply to UCLA and Wharton in R2. I am now planning to add 1 more to this list just to spread my risks.

I am considering CMU, U Chicago, and may be Yale, although applying to U Chicago isn't exactly a "safe" move. The advantage with CMU and Yale is that their essays wouldn't need a lot of work.

My other option is to persist with my original plan to apply to Haas PT. I was planning to apply to Haas in R1, but recommendation issues pushed it back.

Oh, my career goal is related to e-ship/tech management.

Thanks!
Director
Director
Affiliations: FRM Charter holder
Schools: Stanford, Chicago Booth, Babson College
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 4

[#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2007, 22:30
In my opinion, you should also apply to CMU Tepper, since you have applied to MIT. That is a poor cousin of MIT.

By Poor I mean luck, background etc.. :wink:
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2007, 22:38
Go with Haas.

Chicago GSB is tough and not exactly a safety school.

Yale is a touch school to get into. Arguably as tough as the top schools.

With your profile, you maybe could get into Tepper in R3.
Director
Director
Schools: Chicago Booth 2010
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2007, 22:49
what about darden or fuqua?
Current Student
WE 1: Hi-tech Product Development
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 3

[#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2007, 22:59
Chicago - Too freaking competitive. I don't think you would be 'spreading your risks' with this

Yale - Again, touch school to get into

CMU - good school. Competitive yes, but not cut throat like HBS, Wharton, MIT. So your chances are better and of course, strong for tech.

So yeah, CMU has my vote.
Director
Director
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 8

[#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2007, 23:09
Univ. of Phoenix.....

just kidding..

wat bout Darden or Kellogg
SVP
SVP

[#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2007, 23:55
Thanks for the responses.

I am not too enthusiastic about schools outside of these 4. Therefore, Darden and Kellogg are out. Right now, I am leaning towards Haas PT with CMU a close second.

Haas PT's R2 deadline is on 02/28. By that time, I would have received admission decisions from HBS, Ross, MIT and Cornell in addition to interview decisions from UCLA and Wharton. If I do get into a school before 02/28, I will not apply to Haas. If I dont have a positive decision by the end of Januray, I will then go ahead with the Haas app.

Any comments?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 338 [0], given: 14

[#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2007, 00:42
methinks you should still go for Haas FT, R2 or R3. But alas, if you don't want to, then Haas PT will be good also.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 701 [0], given: 5

[#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2007, 04:02
If you definitely want to go you need to spread your risk. Chicago is harder than some schools you already applied to. Yale has become very difficult to get into also.

I say CMU its still a really good school and it would be a much better bet. I dont remember what your goals are but it has a strong rep and brand in some industries.

I would say Haas part time if you are planning on staying in the exact same career and your company will pay for it. My wife's work sends people to get PT MBAs and it really doesnt do a whole lot for their career short term, although its basically a requirement if you eventually want to move up. Literally there are MBAs still working as engineers.
Director
Director
Affiliations: FRM Charter holder
Schools: Stanford, Chicago Booth, Babson College
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 4

[#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2007, 05:30
riverripper wrote:
I say CMU its still a really good school and it would be a much better bet. I dont remember what your goals are but it has a strong rep and brand in some industries.
I would say Haas part time if you are planning on staying in the exact same career and your company will pay for it. My wife's work sends people to get PT MBAs and it really doesnt do a whole lot for their career short term, although its basically a requirement if you eventually want to move up. Literally there are MBAs still working as engineers.

Well said. They have a strong entrepreneurship oriented program. The look and feel will be similar to that of MIT. I know..if CMU folks read this post, they will ding me straight away :wink:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 701 [0], given: 5

[#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2007, 06:43
CMU is the only R2 school I am 100% sure I am applying to. The other ones are all up in the air now.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 338 [0], given: 14

[#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2007, 07:32
btw, the Haas part time will allow some students to do internships and use their career services now, so you can get more of the FT benefit while doing PT.
SVP
SVP

[#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2007, 10:42
Exactly. The Haas PT has great ROI. You get to interview for the same jobs that the FTers do and not to mention, you can leverage the Haas student label to shift careers as soon as you join the program. Haas PT carries huge weight around the bay area.

CMU also appears to be a good program although I believe that the Haas MBA brand(PT or FT) is more powerful than CMU's. In the end, it may come down to a toss-up between these 2 schools.

BTW, how come GSB has 4 votes. Any one who voted GSB, can you please explain your logic. I am eager to hear your perspectives.

kryzak wrote:
btw, the Haas part time will allow some students to do internships and use their career services now, so you can get more of the FT benefit while doing PT.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2007, 11:06
ncprasad wrote:
Exactly. The Haas PT has great ROI. You get to interview for the same jobs that the FTers do and not to mention, you can leverage the Haas student label to shift careers as soon as you join the program. Haas PT carries huge weight around the bay area.

CMU also appears to be a good program although I believe that the Haas MBA brand(PT or FT) is more powerful than CMU's. In the end, it may come down to a toss-up between these 2 schools.

BTW, how come GSB has 4 votes. Any one who voted GSB, can you please explain your logic. I am eager to hear your perspectives.

kryzak wrote:

O brother Rhyme, where art thou?
Current Student
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2007, 12:22
Prasad, I voted for CMU with the following reasoning:

Chicago GSB - Since your objective is to spread the risk, applying to GSB won't really spread it too far.

* CMU Tepper - Considering your interest in MIT, I think that CMU is a great alternative. It is in a lower cluster (So hopefully less difficult to get into), but has similar strengths. Exactly what you're looking for in an additional school.

Yale SOM - Yale SOM's reputation doesn't justify its high selectivity (They decreased the number of students this year, didn't they?). Again, doesn't spread the risk very well.

Haas PT - Haas R2 deadline is end of Feb. So I don't see why applying to CMU will stop you from trying Haas PT. I would say that you should try all FT schools in R2, and then focus Feb for Haas PT (If you don't have an admit from any R1 school by then).
SVP
SVP

[#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2007, 12:39
That's an interesting idea mNeo. Let me check if I can get buy-in from my recommenders for an additional recco in Feb for Haas if needed.

mNeo wrote:
Haas PT - Haas R2 deadline is end of Feb. So I don't see why applying to CMU will stop you from trying Haas PT. I would say that you should try all FT schools in R2, and then focus Feb for Haas PT (If you don't have an admit from any R1 school by then).
VP
VP
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 118 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2007, 18:05
Happy b-day, ncprasad!

I am voting for Tepper as well :)
  [#permalink] 10 Nov 2007, 18:05