Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 12 Jul 2014, 05:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

HELP NEDDED: How to excel in Reading comprehension?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

HELP NEDDED: How to excel in Reading comprehension? [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2009, 10:41
Hi Folks

I am having trouble in improving my (reading comprhension) RC . I am very comfortable with RC's related to topics like biology or science. But when it comes to a literature or a business issue I fail to understand the topic .I get only 50% of answers correct. Are there any tricks or books available other than KAPLAN, Officila Gmat review that could be any help to improve my RC?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2135

Kudos [?]: 7298 [1] , given: 3618

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: HELP NEDDED: How to excel in Reading comprehension? [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2009, 11:10
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
preetam wrote:
Hi Folks

I am having trouble in improving my (reading comprhension) RC . I am very comfortable with RC's related to topics like biology or science. But when it comes to a literature or a business issue I fail to understand the topic .I get only 50% of answers correct. Are there any tricks or books available other than KAPLAN, Officila Gmat review that could be any help to improve my RC?

Welcome to GMAT Club Preetam.

Take a look at the MGMAT RC book - it is the only and therefore the best dedicated RC book.
Also - see this post that I think is the best option: books-to-read-improve-verbal-score-and-enjoy-a-good-read-76079.html
Finally, some additional Verbal tips are here: new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.9
Followers: 28

Kudos [?]: 107 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: HELP NEDDED: How to excel in Reading comprehension? [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2009, 11:23
Consider yourself lucky that you find hard science passages easy as most people probably find those very difficult. Improving your social science/humanities comprehension should be much easier than your hard science comprehension
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: HELP NEDDED: How to excel in Reading comprehension? [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2009, 11:30
Read The Economist from cover to cover every week. After you read an article..summarize..also while reading make a mental note of structure, mentally GPS relevant points, etc....

Not only will you improve RC, you will be able to hold intelligent conversations.... :)
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 6

Re: HELP NEDDED: How to excel in Reading comprehension? [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2009, 00:12
phoenix09 wrote:
Read The Economist from cover to cover every week. After you read an article..summarize..also while reading make a mental note of structure, mentally GPS relevant points, etc....

Not only will you improve RC, you will be able to hold intelligent conversations.... :)

Absolutely!!!
.I think reading magazines such as The Economist ,WSJ will not only help us in GMAT but also in expanding our knowledge on contemporary economic and political events.
Expert Post
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Followers: 346

Kudos [?]: 1660 [0], given: 354

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: HELP NEDDED: How to excel in Reading comprehension? [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2009, 00:45
Expert's post
I was almost in the same boat: science - almost 100%, sociology and history - <50%.
I worked hard to figure out how to fix my weakness in RC. At the end, my % was ~90-95. Here is my thoughts:

1) We all live in a huge information stream and we have to ignore a lot of information to concentrate on important issues. When I see "historic" passage my mind says "It is so boring that I don't what to read and analyze this!". So, my mind begins to skip and ignore as more as it can and I lose point of the passage after a few first sentences. What I do? Just trick my mind, simply say just before reading the passage: "It is the most interesting text I've ever read! It is so interesting to know what happened with women organizations in Zanzibar in 30's! I've looked for this information entire life! Wow, it is a key moment to touch this holy manuscript!"
It may sounds odd, but it worked great for me.

2) This is a part of my debrief:
4. RC. I tried two methods: Rhyme’s (skipping) and Gin’s (very careful reading). Both methods are good but Gin’s was exactly what I needed. I read slowly, but usually answered without return to text. I used “active” reading, restated each paragraph in own exaggerated words and always tried to answer tone and prime purpose questions before reading real questions. [see example]

You may read this: trick-with-human-memory-62631.html

NEW! GMAT ToolKit 2 (iOS) / GMAT ToolKit (Android) - The must have GMAT prep app | PrepGame

Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 99

GMAT Tests User
Re: HELP NEDDED: How to excel in Reading comprehension? [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2009, 09:23
walker wrote:
I was almost in the same boat: science - almost 100%, sociology and history - <50%.
I worked hard to figure out how to fix my weakness in RC. At the end, my % was ~90-95. Here is my thoughts:

1) We all live in a huge information stream and we have to ignore a lot of information to concentrate on important issues. When I see "historic" passage my mind says "It is so boring that I don't what to read and analyze this!". So, my mind begins to skip and ignore as more as it can and I lose point of the passage after a few first sentences. What I do? Just trick my mind, simply say just before reading the passage: "It is the most interesting text I've ever read! It is so interesting to know what happened with women organizations in Zanzibar in 30's! I've looked for this information entire life! Wow, it is a key moment to touch this holy manuscript!"
It may sounds odd, but it worked great for me.

you made me laugh ... but thanks for the nice tip ... hope I start loving everything in the world or atleast I become curious to know abt everything
Re: HELP NEDDED: How to excel in Reading comprehension?   [#permalink] 20 Aug 2009, 09:23