Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 20:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Help! Need a score of 700

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Help! Need a score of 700 [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2010, 08:31
Hi,

As the subject line, I need a score of atleast 700. However, my preparation is comparatively very very less and now the 700 aim seems so far. :x
My score of different exams is ranging from 500-600 only. I am planning to give my GMAT in May.
Please guide.

Thanks in advance..
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2234

Kudos [?]: 8389 [0], given: 3646

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Help! Need a score of 700 [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2010, 18:50
Expert's post
Work hard perhaps?

Posted from my mobile device Image

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: Help! Need a score of 700 [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2010, 00:26
True.. but dont what I am missing out..
Director
Director
WE 1: 5.5 yrs in IT
Followers: 62

Kudos [?]: 391 [0], given: 56

GMAT Tests User
Re: Help! Need a score of 700 [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2010, 01:18
did you attempt GMATPrep test ? This test is very similar to actual GMAT tests. The scores in this test will give you an idea about where you stand.

ISB 2011-12 thread | Ask ISB Alumni @ ThinkISB
All information related to Indian candidates and B-schools | Indian B-schools accepting GMAT scores
Self evaluation for Why MBA?

Intern
Intern

Re: Help! Need a score of 700 [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2010, 07:09
Yes.. I gave those tests. However, the scores are less :(
Scareddd :roll:
Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.95
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 90 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: Help! Need a score of 700 [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2010, 07:18
Solve:

It's very important to learn basics before starting to solve tests again and agian. I remeber I did same mistake by ignoring basics and ended up scoring 550-620 in initial practice tests. However, once I built solid foundation score started to increase and it's 750 now. Try it !! it may help.

MGMAT SC:
PowerScore CR:
RC : Practice Practice and Practice!!!!
Kaplan Math Workbook.

GMAT Club Error Log V3.0 - with Timer
GMAT Club Error Log
Spoilt Error Log V0.0.9 - with Timer
Awesome Error Log - By Spoilt and Trianglock

Intern
Intern

Re: Help! Need a score of 700 [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2010, 07:41
Yes.. so true..so true.. I have to build on my basics.. I am giving one more test this weekend, will update you with the score.
--Building up on basics till Sunday! Yay! Thanks.. :o
Director
Director
WE 1: 5.5 yrs in IT
Followers: 62

Kudos [?]: 391 [0], given: 56

GMAT Tests User
Re: Help! Need a score of 700 [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2010, 08:34
Angelgal wrote:
Yes.. so true..so true.. I have to build on my basics.. I am giving one more test this weekend, will update you with the score.
--Building up on basics till Sunday! Yay! Thanks.. :o

2 days to build basics :shock: , thats quite aggressive target. I would say don't be in hurry. Proceed only when you have understood the topic well.

ISB 2011-12 thread | Ask ISB Alumni @ ThinkISB
All information related to Indian candidates and B-schools | Indian B-schools accepting GMAT scores
Self evaluation for Why MBA?

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 200 [0], given: 52

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Help! Need a score of 700 [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2010, 09:01
I think he meant he is taking a practice test on sunday and his real test is in May.
I suggest you to grab those mgmat books as users have suggested. Know your weakness areas and focus on them.

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.95
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 90 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: Help! Need a score of 700 [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2010, 10:51
I suggest you not to take gmatprep and preserve it as last 2 tests before actual gmat.
Take more time go slowly.
Buy MGMAT guide you will free tests. Use those for practice.
Everyone wants to score 700. However, there is always hardwork and determination attached with that score.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 200 [0], given: 52

Re: Help! Need a score of 700 [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2010, 11:12
i would like to also add that if you get discouraged easily you should consider not to take a CAT couple days before the real one just in case if it is bad score - it may ruin your mood and you will most likely post a thread about "Help! got XYZ 2 days before real test. i am really disappointed." If you dont get affected easily you should take it couple days before to gauge your performance. For my last test instead of CATs i just worked on problem sets - still same amount of work just no scores attached.

Intern
Intern

Re: Help! Need a score of 700 [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2010, 18:46
Yepp.. I meant that, I will give my next practise test on Sunday. Actually I dont have much time to relax and concentrate on basics for long, need to be quick. Guys! the actual case here is, that I have to apply for few schools this year. Hence the hurry!!
@shaselai: Yes you are right here, low scores affect me big time.
@Spoilt: Do you really think, I should buy the MGMAT guide now? Actually im planning to give test in a month.

The weak areas:
1. PS+DS= above 35, less than 40
2. SC= It just depends on my mood, sometimes I get 70% right, but most of the the times 30% why??
3. CR= Though frequency of getting these questions wrong is high, I like this topic :lol: :lol:
4. RC = makes me sleepy, cant focus for long. usually get only 50% of the questions right :roll:
Wolla I need to work on verbal, big time! Other thing I am lacking is FOCUS this is veryy crucial in GMAT.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 200 [1] , given: 52

Re: Help! Need a score of 700 [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2010, 20:36
This post received
KUDOS
1. PS+DS= above 35, less than 40

Check the answers to see if you make silly mistakes like forgetting using negatives, fractions etc. when plugging in. Backsolving helps too and becareful of obvious "A+B" answers for DS. I think you encounter "algebra intensive" problems when you get to harder problems so if you do plugin you should be OK for the most part. But if you want to get a good quant score you gonna need to do them sooner or later. Surprisingly combinations/probabilities were never that big of a deal when i took the exams - i saw maybe 3 total from 2 tests.

2. SC= It just depends on my mood, sometimes I get 70% right, but most of the the times 30% why??

I hate to guess but i think you are not getting the core grammar right so sometimes you might get some "lucky" corrects by "sound" - it is like what happened to me when i kept scoring 28s. know your idioms,tenses,FANBOYS,subject verb agreement.

3. CR= Though frequency of getting these questions wrong is high, I like this topic :lol: :lol:

You have to read paragraph carefully. DO NOT fall into traps that uses outside info unless it is a hypothetical question. The books help a bit in planning the attack but unlike SC there's no "blueprint" to follow besides the number of types of questions are asked and it is mostly up to you to understand the passage...

4. RC = makes me sleepy, cant focus for long. usually get only 50% of the questions right :roll:

RC is tough too - you get the tactics from the books BUT since passages differ you have to analyze the most of it. There are basically 2 ways to do this - read the passage then answer question OR skim it and write down important facts - usually read couple of sentences per paragraph. I hate 2nd option because i find myself reading the parts i missed to double check my answer anyway - it is up to you though. Again there are only a set number of questions asked and it is up to you to understand the passage.

If you are applying for next year i think you can delay the exam till june and still be OK. You could still do may then do june but if you want 700 i think you got a lot more work to do.

Intern
Intern

Re: Help! Need a score of 700 [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2010, 03:23
@ Shaselai.. Thanks.. the tips were very helpful.. :)
I gave the free Manhattan test and got a score of Q (41) and V (23) .. :x :shock:
Also, a 800score test: Q (30) V (36).. :cry: :x
Which score should I rely on? Though none of the above are good..

I think, I need to focus! I have also started with my second round of OG questions. Planning a practise test on Friday, hope it goes well.. with such score, I cant even think of giving the actual test in first week of May. Probably need a thorough study for a month. I guess I am just being lazy!! :?
Re: Help! Need a score of 700   [#permalink] 21 Apr 2010, 03:23